Search for content in message boards

Bagby Family-King and Queen and Essex Co., VA-1700s/1800s

Bagby Family-King and Queen and Essex Co., VA-1700s/1800s

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Young, Tribble, Trible, Gatewood, Bagby, Jones, Dunn, Waters
I found a record in the deed books of Essex Co., VA dated 16 Jun 1817 that listed the following people:

Lucy Bagby, Francis Smith, Kemp Gatewood, Henry Young and John Trible (actually "Tribble").

Based on my knowledge of some of these people, I would not be surprised if ALL of them were children (teenagers or younger). With the exception of Lucy Bagby, I can "connect" all of them to the family of Henry Young (died 1749) and Rachel Smith (in one way or the other).

Note: I did not take really good notes on this document, so I do not know exactly what it was "doing." I will try to read it again, the next time that I visit the Library of Virginia.

Henry Young died in Essex Co., VA in 1749, and his widow Mrs. Rachel (Smith) Young then married second to a James Jones. Like Rachel, it strongly appears that this James Jones had also been married before, and it appears that his earlier wife had been Winifred "Winnie" Dunn (a daughter of William Dunn, Junior and Winifred "Winnie" Waters). James Jones had a son who was also named James Jones, and it seems certain that this second/younger James Jones was via the first wife of the older James Jones (i.e., via Winnie Dunn). It also seems certain that this younger James Jones married Rachel Young, a daughter of Henry Young and Rachel Smith, around 1765 (+/-).

The above Rachel Smith (born 1720s) was a daughter of Maurice (born about 1691 in Middlesex Co., VA) and Elizabeth (MAYBE Bird/Byrd)Smith of King and Queen Co., VA. I know that the Bagby family also had a major "presence" in King and Queen Co., VA, so it would not be too surprising if the above Lucy Bagby was a descendant of the Bagby family that was in that area of VA in the 1700s.

Can anyone "identify" this Lucy Bagby (parents, siblings, later husband, etc.)? Is there any known "connection" between the Bagby family and the Young, Smith, Jones, Gatewood, Dunn, Waters or Tribble families in King and Queen and/or Essex Co., VA? Thanks.

Re: Bagby Family-King and Queen and Essex Co., VA-1700s/1800s

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 1:15PM GMT
UPDATE: I can answer my own question. A Lucy Bagby was born Lucy Richards, and she married a George Bagby in Essex Co., VA in 1806, as I recall. Lucy Richards was a daughter of Richard Richards, and a granddaughter of John Richards and Millicent Young. Millicent Young was a daughter of Henry Young (died 1749) and Rachel Smith. So....as I expected, there was a "connection" between Lucy Bagby and this Henry Young and Rachel Smith (there appears to have been a "connection" between ALL of the people mentioned in that 1817 record and Henry Young and Rachel Smith).

Note: It is possible that the Lucy Bagby in the 1817 record was a potential DAUGHTER of George Bagby and Lucy Richards, versus that particular Lucy Bagby being Mrs. Lucy (Richards) Bagby herself....but no proof either way at this time.

Does anyone have any information on the lineage of the above George Bagby? I have not yet attempted to "trace" George. Thanks.

Bagby, Lucy & Bagby, George

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Bagby
tunnelm1 wrote: "there appears to have been a "connection" between ALL of the people mentioned in that 1817 record and Henry Young and Rachel Smith"

Of course there is a connection between all the people mentioned in the record or they wouldn't have been in the record together.

Please be more specific with your query. We all have some information about a Lucy Bagby or a George Bagby and we all have numerous people who were given the name Lucy Bagby or George Bagby at birth.

If your own answer to your own query is correct, Lucy Bagby was really Lucy Richards and married into the Bagby family. It also sounds like this connection no longer has anything to do with King & Queen County.

I've read sketchy info about a George Bagby & Essex County, but a sketch is more of a question than an answer.

From what I'm reading in your posts it doesn't appear your research is tied to the Bagby lineage enough to pursue it further. You're now looking for info on a George Bagby and the last time I counted there were nearly 100 men who were given that name at birth.

To any other researcher who is interested in this line of discussion, you may wish to post your response on the Board as opposed to the List. That way you'll be certain it reaches all concerned.

Sherri Schaefer [Bagby]
Bagby Admin
http://www.bagby.org

Re: Bagby, Lucy, Bagby, George

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 11:19PM GMT
I DID post to the message board versus to the mailing list, so I am not sure what you mean. Also, what I meant about the "connection" is that I can find "connections" between these people on various OTHER records....IN ADDITION TO the fact that they are all mentioned in that one 1817 record together. The bottom line is, I can now "connect" all of them to the family of Henry Young and/or his wife Rachel Smith (without any "help" from that 1817 document).

There is a document posted by the VA Historical Society that discusses the "Bagby family papers, 1808-1942." It states that these papers are primarily about the Bagby family members at Stevensville, King and Queen Co., VA, but Section 1 discusses papers from 1808-1818 of George Bagby (1786-1810) of Essex Co., VA. This Section discusses the executor of the estate Richard Richards of Essex Co., VA. Richard Richards was the father of the Lucy Richards who married George Bagby. Section 2 of those papers discusses records from 1825-1851 concerning a John Bagby and a Richard Bagby of King and Queen Co., VA. I do not know, however, what the connection was between those two Bagbys and the above George Bagby who married Lucy Richards, if any (but they are all part of the same overall set of "Bagby family papers").

By the way, I need to correct something in my earlier post. Rachel Smith (who married Henry Young) was born closer to 1710 versus the 1720s. Have a blessed day.

Re: Bagby, Lucy & Bagby, George

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 11:28PM GMT
I replied to your response, but it appears that I somehow managed to enter it as a follow-up to my own message, versus a follow-up yours. Anyway, you can see it there.

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 11:44PM GMT
Surnames: Bagby
tunnelm1,

I'm aware you posted on the Bagby Rootweb Board, but all the posts on the Board are gatewayed to the Bagby List members. That's why I suggested other researchers interested in this line of discussion should post on the Bagby Board. I hope that clears up your question about that.

However, your question about any Bagby surname researcher having any info about a Lucy or George Bagby still remains a vague request.

Do you have a more specific question? Are you actively researching the Bagby surname?

Sherri Schaefer [Bagby]
Bagby Admin
http://www.bagby.org

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 12:14AM GMT
It would be interesting/nice to know (but certainly not critical to my primary family research) the "Bagby lineage" of the specific George Bagby (who apparently died in 1810) who married Lucy Richards....a daughter of Richard Richards and a granddaughter of John Richards and Millicent Young (and Millicent was a daughter of Mrs. Rachel (Smith) Young, who had lived in King and Queen Co., VA as a young girl in the early-1700s). Beyond that, I have little interest in the Bagby surname....other than one of my best friends is a Bagby, and I actually found him (and his sister) listed on your Bagby website many months ago. Nice website, by the way.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions