Edited: 5 Apr 2003 6:14AM GMT
Surnames: Zander, Hawley, Titus
I seek additional information on the following family:

Thomas TITUS, b. 1848, NY
Hattie TITUS, Wife, b. 1855, NY
Mattie TITUS, Dau, b. 1873, NY
Serena TITUS, Dau, b. 1875, NY
Edward TITUS, Son, b. 1880, NY

They were living in Troy, NY, in the 1880 census. Also living in the same household were:

Ophelia HAWLEY, Mother-in-law, b. 1810, NY
Ophelia HAWLEY, Sister-in-law, b. 1847, NY

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Nancy

Re: Thomas Titus of NY

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 1:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Titus, Zander, Durfee
Hi --

I think this is my grandmother's family. My grandmother was Mattie. She married George Durfee, a farmer. They lived in Middleburgh, NY for most of their marriage. As they grew older, their children moved them to Schenectady, NY. There were 7 children who lived to adulthood. In approximate birth order were Marguerite, George, Marion, Naomi, Mae (my mother), Estelle, and Ward. There may have been two others who died in infancy.

My grandmother's sister was Hattie. Hattie's husband was "Doc" Cerino. Don't know his given first name but he was a pharmacist, hence the nickname Doc. They had a summer residence at Wilmington, NY, in the Adirondacks. I think Hattie had a daughter, Ruth, and a granddaughter, Ellen.

I am not well versed in the family tree but I have a cousin who is.

I'm a little curious about the surname Zander. My given first name is Zanderia (long since shortened to Zan) and I was always told that it was my grandmother's middle name.

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 4:20AM GMT
Surnames: Titus, Hawley, Zander
Hello,

I am the poster of the original message and am still interested in connecting with you and other descendants of this family.

Zander is my maiden name and the maiden name of Ophelia Hawley, who was Hattie Titus' adoptive mother. Zander was also the maiden name of Hattie's biological mother, Ophelia Parker.

It would be great to connect with you!

Nancy Zander Reese

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 3:42PM GMT

I strongly suspect that the Thomas A. Titus below is the one that you are looking for. The only problem is with the 1880 census which says that Thomas's father was born in CT, whereas this Richard was born in NY. The Richard A. Titus below (generation 8) is descended from Robert Titus, the immigrant of 1635, through his second son, Edmond.

The name, date and location check out but I have no further proof. What do you think?

8. Richard A. Titus. b. ca. 1821 in NY. (29 at 1850 census when the family was enumerated in District 2, Ward 16, New York City, NY, 38 in 1860 in District 2, Ward 22, New York City, NY). He was a carman in 1860. m. Serena A. Hawley, daughter of Oscar and Sophia (Mills). She b. ca. 1823 in New York City, NY. (27 at 1850 census, 37 in 1860, 47 in 1870 when she and children were enumerated at Union, Hudson Co., NJ, 56 in 1880). d. Jan. 3, 1911. (death cert. on file). Buried in Grove Church Cemetery, Union Hill, Hudson Co., NJ. A Richard A. Titus, age 75, probably his father, was living with them in 1850. Their child (among others):

9. Thomas A. Titus. b. ca. 1848 in NY. (2 at 1850 census, 12 in 1860, 22 in 1870). He was a teamster in 1870.

Bill Arthurs

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: Hawley
I think the only problem with this is that the Thomas Titus (also b. abt 1848 in NY) I have, married Hattie Hawley. It's possible, of course, but that does seem to call for some caution.

Who is the wife of your Thomas A., b. 1848?

Thanks, Nancy

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 3:47AM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2013 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: Titus, Hawley, Zander, Durfee
Hi! Here is your great-grandmother's obit:

Schenectady Gazette, July 6 1936 p8
Mrs. Thomas Titus
Mrs. Harriet M. Hawley Titus, wife of the late Thomas A. Titus, died early yesterday morning at her home, 625 Michigan avenue. Mrs. Titus was born in Troy where she lived for 50 years. She came to this city 32 years ago. While she was in Troy she attended the old Vale Avenue Methodist Church which later became Grace Methodist Church.
She is survived by three daughters, Miss Mattie Z. Durfee of Midbleburg, Mrs. Rena A. Taylor of Troy and Mrs. Harriet M. Cerino of this city, and two sons, Harry E. Titus of Erie, Pa., and Stanley D. Titus of this city; also 13 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.
Private funeral services will be held at the home Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Rev. Thomas Miller of Union Street Christian Church will officiate. Burial will be in Oakwood cemetery, Troy.

Nancy Reese
http://zanderfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/

Posted: 3 Mar 2014 8:28PM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2014 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Titus, Hilton
Nancy: I found a couple of your posts that related to Hattie Titus of Schenectady, NY. I believe I may have found what I was looking for and hope you can assist with more information. My great grandfather (Clarence Hilton) was married to Hattie Titus on April 2, 1911. Hattie's moms name was Hattie Hawley. Both my grandfather and Hattie had a Child (Stanley) who died shortly after birth. He is buried at the Hilton plot at Prospect Hill Cemetery in Guilderland, NY. They both divorced (I believe) and then my Grandfather married Mary Carey. I am looking for more information and if possible any pictures of Hattie or Stanley. my email is mjh19647@aol.com. My HiltonConnection website is; www.hiltonconnection@weebly.com" target="_blank">www.hiltonconnection@weebly.com. I hope to hear from you soon! Mike Hilton, Schenectady.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic