Search for content in message boards

Samuel Spence

Samuel Spence

Posted: 2 May 2013 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Desperate for answers...Samuel Spence born 1855 married to Mariah Mollett, and lived in tomahawk Martin county Kentucky. Parents...cemetery..any leads would be greatly appreciated. Daphne

Re: Samuel Spence

Posted: 3 May 2013 3:22AM GMT
Here is an indexing of his death for 1942, gives parents as James Spence and Annie Sawyer
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N919-Y14

Posted: 3 May 2013 10:57AM GMT
The DOB listed on the death certificate isn't consistent with the census records 1910-on. I'm not able to locate any records prior to that time. Also cannot find record of James and Annie....

Posted: 4 May 2013 4:43PM GMT
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to locate married records for Sam Spence and Mariah mollett? Is it possible that the DOB on the death certificate for Samuel was in error? Why there aren't records of their marriage? Mariah apparently grew up in Kentucky. She can be found in the early census records as a child. Although there were Spence families in and around Martin county, Samuel Spence is no where to be found prior to 1910, when he was married to Mariah. There was another Samuel Spence that lived in. Greenup, born 1847ish, married to Mary Ann, but census records have him and Mary together throughout, so I know it's not my gg grandfather Samuel. However wonder if the. Death certificate may be completely mixed up or have anything to do with my Samuel at all, even though Mariah is listed as wife and informant.

Posted: 3 Oct 2013 9:55PM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2013 10:16PM GMT
I'm having the same problems with finding info on Samuel . According to my father, I know that Samuel was somewhat older than Mariah. here is a copy of my notes..My dad, James Granville Sesco said that Samuel and his brothers had made their way up from Texas. They were in trouble there in Texas and was on the run. While in Lawrence county Ky , He met his wife Mariah when she was peddling produce with her father. Another story dad tells is that Samuel's brother Walter was killed in the peach orchard coal mine. Samuel made it out of the mine unharmed. Other brothers of samuel were Zack and Willard. the day Samuel died he ask my father ,who was about 10 years old, for a glass of water and when dad got back with the water Samuel had already died. and here are my notes on Mariah..My dad ,James Granville Sesco was 17 years old in 1949 . He was in White Springs barracks Geneva NY when word came that his grandma Mariah was sick and may die. He left NY to be with his grandmother and when he arrived home, He was told that she was still alive and he could see her but she does not know anyone . Dad said when he walked into his grandmother's bedroom, she called him by name. Then after she died Dad went back to NY to work. death in 1949

Posted: 6 Oct 2013 3:21PM GMT
Thank you so much for replying to my post. Every bit of information is precious to me. My great grandfather was Samuel Spence Jr. In August, I took a trip to tomahawk Kentucky in search of the family cemetery. It was up on a hill in Spence holler, which is now called Orville rd. Samuel and Mariah are buried at the foot of my great grandparents, Sammie Jr and Mary Alice. There's only rocks that mark the grave sites and I would not have known they were there if someone hadn't posted on my blog about it...it's a sad place there. Did Samuel and Mariah live there too? My grandfather was Edsil Spence....
hope to hear from you soon
Daphne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic