Search for content in message boards

Exporting or import media from/to Ancestory / Family tree maker

Exporting or import media from/to Ancestory / Family tree maker

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 12:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have family tree maker and I am maintaing two trees, one on the web and one on family tree maker. They are both syncronized using GEDCOM.

How can I syncronize between the media files ? It seems that I have to load sets of photos for each person twice, once to Ancestory and also to family tree maker and I can't find a way to either upload to Ancestory or download from Ancestory.

Re: Exporting or import media from/to Ancestory / Family tree maker

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 3:38PM GMT
amnonshur,

What version of Family Tree Maker are you using. Version 2010 will do that.

Russ

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 8:17PM GMT
I am using Family tree maker 2010
How can I syncronize the files ? I haven't seen any options.
I upload photos to family tree maker and the files are stored in a diectory under "MyDocuments\Family Tree Maker\Media"... How to I upload the files in the Media directory automatically to Ancestory... Currently the GEDCOM only includes basic information, but not media.

thanks.

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 8:48PM GMT
amnonshur,

There is NO synchronization feature between the Family Tree Maker program and an Ancestry.com Member Family Tree.

What you CAN do, is to Upload your file or updated file from the Family Tree Maker program to a New Member Tree on Ancestry.com. Media and all.

You CAN Download, Images and all, from your Member Family Tree into the Family Tree Maker program WITHOUT using a GEDCOM file.

It works very well.

Does that help?

Russ

Posted: 20 Mar 2010 6:32AM GMT
Does this mean that media has to be uploaded or download seperately than GEDCOM.. this is what I have been doing until now. I thought the Ancestory might have a full upload or full download feature from/to Family tree maker which includes both GEDCOM and media. Another thing is why Family tree maker supports loading pre-recorded MP3 media files and Ancestory only support recording. Any clues ?

Posted: 20 Mar 2010 7:42AM GMT
amnonshur,

With Version 2010, you do NOT need to use the GEDCOM format. Ancestry.com will read and post a new Member Family Tree, media and all. You can download your Member Family Tree into Version 2010, media and all.

Thank a look at this website to Upload from 2010 to Ancestry.com

http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2009/08/publish-upload-to-ancest...

To download, media and all:

http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2009/08/plan-new-file-download-f...

Hope this helps,

Russ

Posted: 20 Mar 2010 2:54PM GMT
Same old song and dance, eh Russ?

When will they give the customers what they are asking for, "syncronization between ACOM and FTM"?

Tell us Russ!

Michael

Posted: 20 Mar 2010 4:26PM GMT
Michael,

How would I know? I am a user, like yourself.

All I can do is point to the Feedback link.

Russ

Posted: 20 Mar 2010 5:50PM GMT
True synchronization between FTM and ACOM is a L_O_N_G way off, for a variety of reasons (technical, financial, etc.)

Were I Ancestry I wouldn't even bother wasting resources trying to synch the two as both will be rendered practically useless when cloud computing comes into its own. I'd be expending my resources in developing a Cloud Application, something very few other software programs have the resources to do.

Posted: 21 Mar 2010 2:05PM GMT
Aaaah! Another 'cloud zombie'.....

Just because its there, doesn't make it good!

Michael
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions