Search for content in message boards

Giles D Gay 1818 NC-TN

Giles D Gay 1818 NC-TN

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2001 2:23AM GMT
Looking for parents and ancestral information for ....

Giles D. Gay (also known as: “Jiles”), a farmer by occupation, was born about 1818 in North Carolina. He is listed in the 1850-1891 Census Records of DeKalb County TN. Any prior residence, marriages, and ancestral information is unknown.

He may have been married three times: Mary A. (thought to be Chambers) b. 1825-1828 AL or TN and Mary A. GILBERT born about 1842 in Tennessee, the daughter of Joseph B. GILBERT and Elizabeth CHAMBERS, on October 20, 1878 in DeKalb County, TN.

Re: Giles D Gay 1818 NC-TN

Posted: 22 Jul 2001 5:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Aug 2001 12:24PM GMT
Surnames: Gay,Lockhart
Giles Gay is the father of John W, Gay of DeKalb co.,Tn who is my Great -Great-Grandfather hhis son John W. married Rebecca Lockhart of DeKalb Co., also on 12/11/1970. She died C1880, from the flux and slao two children died the same time. The children John and Jim Gay were raised be the Lockhart Family as John W., remarried to a M.A.Ford in 1881.I have not heard any mention of Giles after the 1870 census.don't know if this helps anyway , let me know is you want to trade into.

Posted: 15 Nov 2002 2:39AM GMT
Giles Was My Great-Great-Great Grandfather, If I can be of help let me know.

Posted: 27 Apr 2011 6:04PM GMT
Giles D. Gay is my great-great-great-great grandfather.
I have at list Of at least 16 children credited to him and Maybe three marriages. I only have the names of two possible spouses. Mary A P Gilbert and Mary A Chambers. I have two dates for Mary Gilbert's birth 1823 and 1842. The dates I have on Mary Chambers is 1825-1828 (?). I cannot believe Mary Gilbert gave birth to 16 Children. Can you help me in getting the facts straight.
Thanks

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 12:58AM GMT
Hello,
I am also looking for information on Giles D. Gay and his son John W. Gay.
Do you know when and where John W Gay died?
I don't have much information, but would love some help.
Thanks
Jennifer Mace

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 2:46AM GMT
Hi,
I've hit the same wall, Giles is my GGGgrandfather, and I've not found any links earlier than the ones you mentioned. I hope to go to NC soon and do some search work there.
Somewhere I have John W. passing in TX, but no date or location., I'll post up anything I find.
Gary

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 2:34PM GMT
Gary,
I am glad I am not the only one! I live in Wilmington, NC is there some searching I can do? I am related to the line of Gay's that did move to Texas. They were in East Texas - Fannin County mostly.
I am happy to do some research, but I need some guidance.
Jennifer

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 3:44PM GMT
Surnames: Gay
Jennifer,
Giles was supposedly from Stokes county NC, which is where I guess the search should start. If we could find his parents it would really help in the back tracking.
We moved from TX, to East TN, and got into the thick of my Moms side of the family. There are a number of Gay's in this area, but I've not found any relation yet.
This stuff will keep you up at night =)

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 5:41AM GMT
I am researching John W. Gay d.08/04/1909, buried Altoga Cemetery, Collin Co., TX.
John W. Gay was born 1837, Marshall Co., MS. Lived in Benton Co., MS & Fayette Co., TN.
Dolores

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 5:12AM GMT
If anyone knows more about Giles, please post who his parents are. I am stuck, as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions