Search for content in message boards

Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I wanted to comment, since I see so many comments about trees being private when trying to research your DNA results. I put my tree online after I got my DNA results. Then I started contacting my matches. I have had varying results, but was very surprised when a good match did not reply, but did copy my entire tree to theirs. I made it private the next day. So I can understand why there are so many that are marked private. After YEARS of research, it would be nice to know where it goes. I have happily given permission to the people who have contacted me and asked. So please, ask the person who owns the tree. That way you can help each other with work, not just steal it.

Re: Private Trees and DNA Contacts

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 3:21PM GMT
I understand your motivation I just don't agree with it. I have spent 40 years researching my family. I kept my tree private because I hadn't the time to prove all of the families I had connected. When I did the DNA I decided to make it public. So many individuals have shared with me over the years the least I can do is share

Yes some folks just cut and paste constantly but who cares. We all share ancestors so why not share information. I try to write most folks but frankly who could write to thousands of people and keep it all straight.

Rather than look at it as stealing how about being a little more charitable and calling it sharing with others. Or even sharing with relatives. Yes it is discouraging when you have spent years and tons of money but so have others from whom you benefit.

Just a different perspective I guess. I hope that more people reconsider and make their trees Public. We will accomplish much more by working together. Stone Soup!

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 7:17PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 20 Nov 2012 2:53AM GMT

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 9:26PM GMT
To the original poster, as I understand it, you are upset that a person copied the contents of your tree, meaning photos, documents, etc. The mistake wasn't in making your private tree public for your matches to see. It was making your peronal photos and documents availabe for someone to copy. I also have pivate trees, but I did upload a public version, just with no photos, etc. this way people can look at the tree with it's surnames, dates, and locations, but my personal items are still private. This is a simple solution for those members who dont want to open their private trees to dna matches.

I have to say, that I don't bother anymore with trying to contact dna matches with private trees. My research time is limited and I have such a poor response rate, that it is not worth my time. If their tree is private, I plunk it into the trashcan and move on.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 10:21PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 19 Nov 2012 5:59PM GMT

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 10:51PM GMT
I have dna kits at other places other than Ancestry and so combined with the matches here, yes, I have quite enough research to keep me busy. And while I love working on my genealogy, I also have a life with other responsibilities.

"that the information not immediately available to you can be placed in a trash can."

Apparently, you misunderstood my post. I have not put any "information" into the trashcan. I delete contact information from those who do not want to share with their dna matches. I have over 20 pages of matches here at Ancestry alone. This is how I prioritize the work I need to do. I am not telling anyone to do the same...this is what works for me.

Frankly, I'm somewhat surprised at the hostility of your comment to me. And if you read this topic more carefully, you will see that I have not made any complaints at all. Certainly not at those with private trees. I keep my own private EXCEPT for a barebones tree with no photos or documentation that is open to all my dna matches to facilitate their own research. I was simply suggesting to the OP what I do in order to keep a tree public for dna matches, and yet also keep my personal items private to share with those I choose. Not sure where you thought anyone was complaining.

Something tells me that perhaps there are other issues that you have encountered that elicited such a judgemental response, and of course I also wish you great luck in your genealogical efforts.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 10:59PM GMT
Joanne, yes I certainly agree with you. It is the height of rudeness to take the time to copy the contents of your tree and yet not even send a short message with two words : Thank You.

Anyone who has ever contacted me here has ALWAYS gotten a response from me. Always. There is no excuse for not responding, even with a "not interested". But thats the way some people are. It is frustrating.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 11:16PM GMT
I understand the frustration. I made my tree private when I realized how much "junk information" is passed from tree to tree on this website and others by people who doesn't bother to authenticate the information.

That said, I find the private tree DNA matches maddening, too. I don't even bother to try to contact them.

To solve the conundrum, I downloaded my ancestry.com to FTM, removed all photos, documents and unverified "working" lines, and uploaded that as a new tree to ancestry.com, which I then linked to my DNA page.

I agree that the benefit of sites like this is what we can share.... I just don't want to sharing garbage. :)

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 11:48PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 19 Nov 2012 6:00PM GMT

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 12:06AM GMT
Well, I also took my private tree and removed pictures and documents and posted it publicly for DNA. I have trees that are private because of unproven relationships. However, in my opinion, your DNA tree is where you WANT to post possible theories. So if I have an unproven relationship, I attach a caution sign as the profile picture. (see attachment)

I also use various spellings for the last name, for example, if I had an Ann Smith, I spell her father's name Smyth, and grandfather as Smythe, so ancestry will catch the various spellings. If I don't know the parents, I attach unknown Smythe, etc to cover all spelling variations.

I also have some probable surnames in some lines that are used as middle names. If I suspect one of my ancestors may have married a Jackson, I attach his wife as "Ann last name not known", and attach her father as "possible Jackson." This way Ancestry searches for what I consider probable last names, even though I don't yet know the connection for sure.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions