Search for content in message boards

Info re: Frank Perera / Periera (b. about 1843 in Greece)

Info re: Frank Perera / Periera (b. about 1843 in Greece)

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 8:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Perera, Periera, Perara, Messina, Perrara
Hi,

I'm looking for information about my G-G-G Grandfather Frank Perera and his wife Mary (maiden name unknown). Records differ as to the spelling of their last name, so I'm unsure as to which one is accurate (Perara, Periera, Perera, etc.).

Census records indicate that Frank was born in Greece around 1843; Mary was born in Florida about 1844. They had two daughters, Catherine M. (1870-1968) and I believe Ella (b. abt 1868). In 1870 they were living in Wakulla, Florida. Catherine M. is my great-great-grandmother; she married Anthony Emanuel Messina (1863-1950), and had many children, including Guy Emanuel (Sr.) Messina (1892-1971).

I haven't been able to find anything additional about Frank, Mary, or really any of this line--any information is truly appreciated!

Please feel free to e-mail me: jennifer.messina@gmail.com

Re: Info re: Frank Perera / Periera (b. about 1843 in Greece)

Posted: 5 Apr 2010 5:35AM GMT
Not sure where you obtained the info on your ancestor, Frank Perera/Periera, etc. That is not a Greek name. A common Portuguese name, possibly Spanish, but not Greek unless some drastic changes were made to his name. If he were Greek, his first name would have to be Fotios or something similar to use Frank as the anglicized name. No name Frank in Greece. Have you ever seen his immigration info? Also the other name you mentioned, Messina, is not Greek either.

Posted: 5 Apr 2010 9:52PM GMT
Hi Jennifer

My maternal grandfather's name was Odysseas, but when he came to the United States, he changed his name to Frank. On my father's side he had an uncle named Frank. I am not sure that there is a direct correlation between the name Frank and any particular Greek name. I always assumed that my grandfather chose the name Frank so that he could fit in with other nationalities in his business, but to be honest with you, I really don't know.

Good luck with your Greek family history research.

Regards
Georgia Keilman nee Stryker (Stratigakos)
http://HellenicGenealogyGeek.com

Posted: 6 Apr 2010 5:48AM GMT
Surnames: Messina, Perera, Perero, Parara, Pararo, Periera
Thank you so much for your reply!

Looking at the 1900 Federal Census, it says that Catherine M. Messina was married to Antonio Messina (Messina being Sicilian in origin). It says Catherine's father was born in Greece. The 1920 census says the same (though it spells her name with a K in that one, but the family is still the same), and says she was born January 1870. A cousin I met here says her father's name is Frank and her maiden name was Pararo/Parara, although it is documented on censuses as varying in the many ways I noted. In internet searches I've done, you're definitely right that Perera seems Portuguese in origin... so this remains a total mystery for me!

Posted: 24 Apr 2010 5:44PM GMT
I'm not sure if this is any help. My gggrandfather was Constantine Pararo, born 1872 in Florida. He had lived in Franklin and Wakulla Cty Fl. I have no idea who his parents were. He hd a sister named Katie, 2 years older than him. He is listed in the 1880 Census in Franklin Cty with a Shipkey.I don't know is there is any relations, but pretty good odds since it is not a common last name. I will try and use the other surnames you have listed.

Posted: 24 Apr 2010 6:01PM GMT
Also, his father is listed as being born in Greece, his mother in Florida. Is it possible while living in Franklin 1870, they had Katie and Constantine?

Posted: 18 May 2010 2:12AM GMT
The information I have has been handed down to me by my great aunt. Frank is my GGGGrandfather. She interviewed Franks granddaughter, Vivian A. Messina-Silva (Mrs. James F. Silva), in 1981. Vivian was the daughter of Catherine "Katie" Perara and Antone E. Messina.

Frank Perara married Mary Margaret "Mollie" Faircloth (1843-1870) sometime in the mid 1860s. They had two children, Ellen (1868-1880) and Catherine "Katie" (30 Jan 1870 - 15 Jan 1968).

Frank Perara remarried Frances Jean Roberts (1848-1922) in abt. 1871. They had one child, Constantine Pararo (my GGGrandfather).

After Ellen and Catherine's mother died Frank sent them to his wifes relatives to be raised. Ellen went to live with her aunt Catherine Faircloth-Garo until she died at age 12 in 1880. Catherine lived with her uncle Richard Faircloths family until Richards death. After that (abt 1877) Catherine lived with her aunt Sarah Ann Faircloth-Shipkee and John Shipkee.

Mary Margaret Faircloth-Perara died of Erysipelas 10 months after Catherines birth according to the interview. She is buried in Waukeenah, FL with her parents, the Allenby Faircloths. In the interview she remembered visiting the grave in Lloyd, FL but could no longer remember the exact location.

In the interview Vivian spoke of Katie's aunt, Franks sister, who lived in New Orleans, Louisiana. I have not found any information to back this up.

Also, the name Perara (today Pararo), may indeed be Greek. Information handed down to me shows that the Pararas family is from Naxos Island, Greece, specifically from the village of Kalaxilos according to the Greek Embassy circa 1981. In the notes a man named Stellios Pararas says that a man named Constantine Pararas fled Naxos to America via Constantinople with his sister. Is Frank actually Constantine?

Posted: 26 Aug 2010 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: pararas
The name pararas is indeed extremely common in the village Kaloxylos of Naxos island. My mother's name was Elizabeth Parara and there are lots of pararas in Naxos nowadays.If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Katerina

Posted: 19 May 2013 12:02AM GMT
My grandfather was HC Messina saon of Catherine Messina. There were quite a few children , Ansil Guy to name a few. His mother was Catherine Perara and they lived on 4th in Apalach.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions