Search for content in message boards

Shaftesbury Square

Shaftesbury Square

Posted: 9 Sep 2007 5:34PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Ward, Garnett, McTague, Spittle, Walker.
Hello everybody.
Does anybody have any photos or maps of Shaftesbury Square, Rotherham. My Ward family lived there during the 1920s and i am trying to get the layout and house numbers so i can plot them. I have two photos acquired from Rotherham library one from 1930s the other 1950s. but are not that detailed.

Re: Shaftesbury Square

Posted: 20 Jan 2008 4:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I'm afraid I can't help you, but I have an interest in Shaftsbury Sq as well. My g-grandmother lived at number 35 in 1891. I would be interested to see any images if you found any!
Georgia.

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
I have photographs of Shaftesbury Square. These were taken before and during their demolition. My ancestors lived on the Square in the early 1900's, and my parents and I also lived nearby up to 1970. Anything I can help you with I shall be pleased to do so. Pauline Whitaker.

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 2:17PM GMT
I lived at 14 shaftesbury square from birth in 1954 up to its demolition my cousins,Graves lived at no4 other people I know who lived there but dont remember numbers were the Taylors Edwards,Willoughbys(the bookie),Egelys,Walsh's, McKenzie.. more if I can think of any..their was a old gas lamp in the middle of the square and at the rear was open backs with ouside toilets,when I moved from there I went up the road to 3 Spring street and eventually back down the road to 73 tusmore street where ny dad died in 1964 the space where the house was is still there at oppoosite what is now the council offices.I remember the statutes fair being on the square one year in the early 60's and watched them pull the houses down.My early years were all centered around the square and the surrounding area and I have a fair knowledge of the surrounding area

Posted: 23 Aug 2008 10:38AM GMT
Hi Auctionman
You actually lived in my ancestors house my Grandfather Frank Harry Ward was born at 14 Shaftesbury Square i have the birth certificate that was in 1927. A Fred Ward who i believe is a uncle of Frank Harry lived at No 4 as well but still trying to confim that, anyway
tell me everything about the house i would like to know the layout of the house, the layout of the square if you can remember. I lived on Hardwicke Rd from 1978 to 1984 which is just down the road from there, i went to St Anns infant and Junior school. All my Ward family are from that area right back to the 1830s. You have spoke to John Ward about York and Lancs he is part of my line.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 8:21PM GMT
My family lived in 14 since early 1900's I had an aunty called lizzie(Elizabeth) who married a Herbert Ward it may be possible that they were living with my grandmother at the time of the birth,you say you have the birth certificate do the names match up

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 8:25PM GMT
I also went to st anns rd and lived on Bramwell st no4 from 1969 until 1976

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 8:29PM GMT
It actually looks as though your great grandfather was my grandfather.Iv contacted a Ward before re my aunty but they couldnt place them,it may have been John if that is the samre John who lived on East Herringthorpe and had his own Rotherham website

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 5:21AM GMT
I have two Herbert Wards in my line the first one was born 21/05/1877 and died 01/07/1916 first day of the somme offensive. He was a member of the 8th Battalion York and Lancaster regiment. I am still trying to find out if he married or not. I also have a possible photo of him. The second Herbert was born some time after 1901 and is a brother of my Great-Grandfather i have a photo of him but again i do not know much about him. If you contact me on my hotmail address mik_ward@hotmail.co.uk i will send you scans of the photos. The photo i have of Shaftesbury square was taken in 1958 you may have seen it as you can get it from rotherham library the title of it is Egley family 1958 there is a busty lady stood at a door with two girls and next door there is a lady with a pram and two lads stood next to the pram, it also shows the gas lamp you mentioned. My Great-grandfather Frank Harry Ward married a Martha Spittle.

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 5:27AM GMT
I have just found a little note in my files saying that Herbert Ward possibly married a Elizabeth Spittle who was the sister of Martha Spittle my Great-grandmother. Is this the same Elizabeth?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions