Search for content in message boards

HUGHES IN NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY VIRGINIA

HUGHES IN NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY VIRGINIA

Posted: 11 Aug 2005 2:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm seeking information about my gg grandfather Jeremiah Jeter Hughes b 15 May 1838 d 4 Mar 1879 married Caroline H. Ticer b. 1844 d. about 1872. Children Edwin Ticer Hughes b. 1868 Ann M. Hughes b. 1870 Rufus Jordan Hughes b. 1871. Jeremiah 's second wife Esther A. Luttrell b. 1855 d. 1926. Children of that marriage Catherine Roberta Hughes (Bertie) b. 1877 d. 1954 and Louis Jeter Hughes b. 1879. I haven't been able to discover who Jeremiah's parents were. Any help would be greatly aappreciated.

Re: HUGHES IN NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY VIRGINIA

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 4:28PM GMT
Hi Cousin,
Jeremiah's sister Pinkey was my great grandmother. Jeremiah's parents were Holland H. Hughes and Huldah H. Harrison, he was born in 1810 and they were married on 12/27/1827, (I have a copy of their marriage license), I am still doing digging on her. Their children were Holland Hughes, b. 1832, d. 1892, James E. Hughes, b. 1833, Jeremiah Hughes, b. 5/15/1838, d. 3/4/1879, Mahaly Hughes, b. 1839, Pinkey A. Hughes, b. 1841, d. 8/30/1930 and Joseph Hughes, b. 1842. Holland H. Hughes was also married to Elizabeth Blundon, m. 10/22/1845 and to Mary E. Tucker, b. 1830, married on 8/26/1848. They had Virginia Hughes, b. 1849, Chas. H. Hughes, b. 1856 and Marianna Hughes, b. 1859.

I have found where Mary E. Tucker held either personal property or real estate in 1860 and am going on the assumption that Holland H. Hughes had passed away by this time as his name is not listed on the census that year with Mary's.

I am having difficulty finding out any information prior to Holland and Huldah. I do know that they both were baptized on 10/20/1837, Wicomico Parish in Northumberland Co.

Where are you located and what would you like copies of? I will help you to the best of my ability. If you would send me any information on your end that you have, I would appreciate it, so I can expand my files.

Kathy Shirilla

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 4:59PM GMT
I am including scanned copies of their marriage license. Do you know where Jeremiah was buried? Or his first wife, Caroline Ticer? His second wife was buried in Reedville, Va. and I can get you a picture of her tombstone, if you would like.

Kathy
Attachments:

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 8:49PM GMT
I am a decendant of Holland Henghly Hughes through Jermiah Jeter Hughes (brother of Pinka) and his son was Edwin Ticer Hughes (my grandfather). However, I can't seem to get back any further in the Hughes line. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 1:55AM GMT
Hi cousin, My father was Rufus Jordan Hughes, Jr. born in Reedville, Va 1/18/1909 son of Rufus Sr. and Mollie Cookman Hughes. According to my records, you must be a decendant of Christine Crowther Lewis. I don't have much info on her family, but I remember my grandmother and Aunt Elsie Hughes Dowdy corresponding with her. I haven't been able to go back further than Holland H. Hughes and I've received a lot of info from Pinka's (Pinkie) great granddaughter Kathy Shrilla who lives in Lancaster, Va. Where are you located?
I'm in Westminster, Md.

Posted: 2 Apr 2011 10:11PM GMT
I've been following this line for some time, so when I saw a recent post I was hopeful. I am also trying the get beyond Holland H. Hughes. My assumption is that this line probably immigrated from Wales at some point, but because there are so many Hughes' I've been unsuccessful. I am also descendant of J.J. Hughes. My grandfather was Rufus Jordon Hughes, so we're cousins at least. Any information you can add would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rayner Hughes, Tucson, AZ.

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 2:31AM GMT
from the great state of Arizona, hello. I am from Dewey, near Prescott. There is another lady from Tucson that does Hughes genealogy but she and I are researching the George H. Hughes line. The info we have starts in Va, and then to Bates County, Missouri. Just thought I would touch base with another Hughes.

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 6:42PM GMT
Thanks for the response. Not sure I've come across George H. you're looking at. Do you know if he is from the Holland H. Hughes line? Are you able to get beck to England, Wales, or Ireland with your line? I can't seem to "break the code". Too many Hughes' in Virginia. Thanks... R. Hughes, Tucson

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 4:37AM GMT
Talk about tooooo many Hughes. How about first names. Seems all I have are George, William, John, James. and so does every other line. I am like you and have hit the proverbial "brick wall". Also, tooo much misinformation on the web. Unfortunately, I probably contributed some without realizing it. I hope to get it straightened but it does get frustrating. I looked in my research and books but couldn't find a Holland Hughes, but I will add the name to my list to look out for. Forgot if I asked about the DNA test. That is how I found my connection to Chesley Hughes, but can't figure out their connection. More later,

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 12:19PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes
I have Chesley Hughes, b. 10-22-1858. Parents are Felix Hughes and Jane A Christie. He married Margaret Nixon.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions