Search for content in message boards

Birth certificate for Pearl Violet Brown

Birth certificate for Pearl Violet Brown

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Madl, brown
Hello
I am new to this whole thing but am trying to locate the birth certificate for my grandmother, Pearl Violet Brown. We believe that she was born in the Newfoundland area on March 3 1932. She married a man named George Madl, and also went by the name Peggy Madl. She died in Toronto in 1978. I haven't had any luck locating her birth or death certificate - is this because she was born more recently and there are privacy laws? Any suggestions on how I can find this information would be so helpful. I've thought about going to the archives but it is in Ottawa which is a lengthy 5 hour drive.
Thanks everyone!

Re: Birth certificate for Pearl Violet Brown

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 7:59PM GMT
Ontario Archives are in Toronto. They won't do lookups.

Births are released to 1913; marriages to 1929 and deaths to 1939.
You can get her death from Ontario Vital Stats in Thunder Bay. Ask for the long version. They used to cost about $22. Google for the address.

I don't know about Nfld records as they didn't join Canada until 1949 so their records are either in Nfld or England.
Again, Google for a Nfld genealogy site. There are lots of researchers, some for free.
Good luck.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 12:36AM GMT
Thank you!

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 4:44PM GMT
Newfoundland was a British colony until 1949 when it joined Canada. Her birth certificate will not be available to you because it was way too recent.

Her obituary in the Toronto Star gives no clues as to the names of her parents or whether there were any siblings. George seemed to be from Toronto, so they were likely married there. Do you have the date of their marriage and where? If in Ontario, you could obtain a copy of the marriage record (with proof of her death) from:

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do

This should at least name her parents.

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 10:05PM GMT
I know they were married in Toronto but I don't know when. My father has very little information unfortunately. I did find out what cemetary she was buried in so I am going to try and see if they have any information.

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate any help!

Posted: 16 Jul 2013 12:46PM GMT
You are fortunate in that Newfoundland took a census in both 1935 and 1945 which are available online:

http://ngb.chebucto.org/

You have to search through each district, but you might find something there.

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 2:10PM GMT
Trying this right now. Thanks again!

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 5:01PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2013 5:04PM GMT
You could try seeing if she had a WILL if so that might provide some info for you. If your library has a microfilm machine you ask for a inter-library loan. At some point I will be requesting the microfilm for WILLS at my library I can see if there is something there for you with your grandmother's name.

You can apply one line for a cert of death since you are her granddaughter but I suggest you mail in your request since they will provide but the cert of death and med cert of death with the completed mail in form but you only get the cert of death when you apply on line. Both forms will provide more info and its only $22.

If you know the name of the funeral home they often know the names of parents, you shouldn't have too many problems since you are the granddaughter. The funeral home collects this info because they send the death info to the register so any info they have would be the same that is on the cert of death. The obit should provide you with the funeral home.

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 5:22PM GMT
Here is the link to the funeral home you can try and e-mail them the location her funeral was at was 1812 Eglinton Ave. W., Toronto location. I tried to search the Beechwood Cemetery registry on Ancestry but found no one with the surname Madl I wonder if she was actually buried at that location sometimes they put one cemetery on the obit and then change their minds after its happen to me many times where the funeral home was able to confirm for me.

http://mcdbrownscarb.ca/

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 5:55PM GMT
Thank you for the advice - not sure if she had a will or not but I appreciate you offering to look! I am going to contact the funeral home now and hopefully I can get some information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions