Search for content in message boards

Data Sync

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
How do users sync data back and forth between the ancestry.com and their computer software?

I uploaded my info to ancestry.com via Family Tree Maker and searched/attached data, then I imported it to my software to use a feature there. When I was done, I uploaded it back to ancestry.com with a different file name and all the leaves are back causing me to make duplicate source entries. What do I need to do to avoid that?

Re: Data Sync

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 8:05PM GMT
smokeyangelaw

There is NO Synchronization feature between Ancestry.com and the Family Tree Maker program.

What IS available, is that you can Upload information from the Family Tree Maker program AND you can Download your tree from the Member Family Tree to your PC. With Version 2010, you do NOT need to use the GEDCOM formatted data.

Russ

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 4:33PM GMT
Friends:
I think there are many of us out there who have purchased Family Tree Software because he ad says it DOES synch with ancestry.com.

Hello, ancestry.com monitor: We need help here!!!

I assume the only work-around is to create a working file on either the web site or your own computer and then upload the working file to the other platform periodically. Since they don't mirror each other, picking the right platform as the working file is VERY important.

The main reason I want family tree maker is to print charts; the main reason I want ancestry.com is for collaboration. OK, folks, which is best?

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 4:37PM GMT
Do the ads actually say synch- or do they say "works with"?

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 4:46PM GMT
Roger,

Where, specifically, did you see that an Ad says it does Synch with Ancestry.com?

Russ

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 7:11PM GMT
The exact term--see the attached jpeg of the ad is "enhanced integration." Well, when I see the term "integration" on the web it has a meaning that is way different from "you can copy files back and forth with about six steps and it will confusing and hard!"

What I'm asking for--and still do not have--is clear, detailed, step-by-step instructions to copy a changed file from one platform to the other, and how to make the file on EITHER platform the WORKING FILE and the file on the other platform into the slave or MIRROR file.
Attachments:

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 7:17PM GMT
Click On "Shop" Look on the left side and find "software." Then select family tree maker. Notice that you have NOT left the ancestry.com web site! Click on family tree maker 2010. Look under "new feature." You will see "enhanced INTEGRATION" with ancestry.com web site. As stated, "integration" suggests that the software and the web site will be, well, integrated. The definition of integrated at dictionary.com is "1. combining or coordinating separate elements so as to provide a harmonious, interrelated whole;" and 2. organized or structured so that constituent units function cooperatively."

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 7:18PM GMT
Roger,

I just posted, on your other message, the step by step process.

Russ

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 7:19PM GMT
Roger,

"Enhanced Integration" is NOT Synchronization.

I have given you instructions, step by step, with screen shots, on how to do this.

Russ

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 7:32PM GMT
How to keep your online and computer files synchronized.

Many users want the benefits of both ancestry.com and familytreemaker. Ancestry.com allows benefits from . anywhere on the web and also allows you to collaborate with peers. FTM has error correction and the ability to print out trees in various formats that many of us want.
BUT: ancestry.com files and ftm files CANNOT be automatically synchronized.

This post explains one way to work around this problem and do a manual synchronization. The file on which you make changes is the WORKING FILE. When you are finished, you need to create a proper copy on the other platform.
If you make changes on ftm, you must upload the file as a NEW FILE in ancestry.com. I recommend that you rename this file on upload to indicate the date.

If you make your changes on ancestry.com you can download it or merge it into the ftm file. I don’t know how to merge. But here are instructions on how to download it as a new file on your computer
To download a WORKING FILE from ancestry.com to a MIRROR FILE on your computer:
1. Open FTM
2. Open your online data base
3. Look for “Ancestry Trees” on the right navigation bar
4. Click on the name of your data base on ancestry.com
5. A dialogue box opens with the name of the data base and an option for “Download.”
6. Click Save
7. The first time you do this you may get an error message about place names. FTM will help you fix the place names, but then you will have to upload the cleaned up file back to ancestry.com (see below)

To Upload a changed file from a FTM file to ancestry.com:
1. Click on People, Publish, Places, Media or sources.
2. On the top right is a small “Share” button. Click that.
3. Click upload to ancestry.com
4. You will have a chance to name the new file. I recommend giving it a name such as mytree_ver_DATE_YEAR. Don’t use periods or “\” signts—it will mess things up.
5. Now this new file will show up as one of your trees.

Here's a problem. The uploaded file is on the ancestry web site. But if I try to download it (after changing it on ancestry) it is in a different status. A picture of the dialog box is attached. How do I merge the changed file from ancestry into FTM? Or is it not possible?
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions