Search for content in message boards

Ambrose Rolfe - Newfoundland - born?? Nova Scotia?? Help!

Ambrose Rolfe - Newfoundland - born?? Nova Scotia?? Help!

Posted: 21 Apr 2011 12:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROLFE BRETT
Ambrose Rolfe was married to Matilda Brett unsure where they were born.. earliest record I can find is a marriage of their daughter Arabella Brett Rolfe (b 1866) to Zachariah William Webber on October 25,1884 at Tilt Cove, Newfoundland. Zachariah was born in Southern Arm; he may have met Arabella when he moved to Tilt Cove. Does anyone have anyone in their family tree with the name Ambrose Rolfe?

Re: Ambrose Rolfe - Newfoundland - born?? Nova Scotia?? Help!

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 12:46AM GMT
Surnames: Breen
We've just started to research our family tree. It appears that there is a direct family connect to Ambrose and Matilda via maternal lineage. Much like you - we are having difficulty finding further information regarding Ambrose or Matilda. Have you had any luck over the spring / summer?

Thanks for your time!

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 10:48PM GMT
No I haven't had any luck. My records also said that Zacharia Webber (husband of Arabella Rolfe)was burried in Pilley's Island.. I have had it checked out and it seems there is no record there... makes me wonder how much of my information is legit...

I was told that Arabella was a full bred Mi'kmaq butI cannot find any information regarding that.. do you have anything?

Jenn

Posted: 21 Oct 2011 9:10PM GMT
Interesting...the information that you have is in keeping with the oral history in our family. We've heard that Arabella (Mi'kmaq) may have been born in Nova Scotia and relocated to Newfoundland somewhere along the way. (The surnames Brett/Britt and Rolf/Rolfe fit with the observation that many Mi'kmaq surnames are French.)

Like you, I've found documents verifying that Arabella Brett/Britt Rolfe/Rolf and Zacharias William Webber were in Newfoundland as of 1895, but not much before or after that date.

I've made a few local connections in the Corner Brook area and need to really start to look into things on this end (public library microfiche, church records, local groups that can assist with genealogical studies).

I'll stay in touch! Thanks for responding so soon!

Posted: 1 Nov 2011 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Rolfe, Brett
Hey Jennifer

I recently discovered my grandfathers biological mother was a Rolfe from Newfoundland before she was adopted.

Ambrose Rolfe and wife Matilda Brett would be my 4th great grandparents
I descend from BOTH Ambrose's sons Andrew Peter and Robert Brett.

Where as - I believe you descend from their sister, Arabella

Would love to share information and help fill each others lines in if you are interested

Thanks
Melissa
gen_bug@hotmail.com

Posted: 2 Nov 2011 12:06AM GMT
Hi Jennifer & Melissa,

Have you come across anything suggesting adoption and/or aboriginal ancestry in the Rolfe family?

I've had some luck securing baptism / birth records and marriage records back to the Rolfe children (Robert, Andrew, Arabella and Catherine), but the records are brief. The records do not comment on the contextual information that I am looking for. I am trying to arrange for copies of the true script documents / originals.

Thanks, Robyn

Posted: 2 Nov 2011 12:39AM GMT
Hi Robyn,

Im newer to this line so Im still working away.

I had known my grandfathers biological mother was born Gladys Rolfe, and had a brother Walter Rolfe...but both had been adopted out to different families. Her to the Randell family, him to the Rice family.

I have no idea on any native history, but would be interested to find out. Im still working on finding out why the children were adopted out, if both parents had passed away or for another reason.

If you find any new information on these lines I would love to hear about it :)

Thanks
Melissa

Posted: 7 Nov 2011 2:10AM GMT
Hi,

You mentioned that your records indicate that Zachariah died in Pilley's Island. Where did you find that record? In what year did he die?

I searched the Corner Brook Public library files with little to no luck. I found a birth record for Leopold Webber and Mary Webber - neither of which are useful to me.

I also figured out that we cannot access church records via the Rooms by distance....so a trip to St.John's is warranted.

Thanks, Robyn

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: Rolfe
Hi There,
Arabella Brett Rolfe was my Great Great Grandmother. Our family has been doing some research on her & her husband Zacharias Webber. Any information or records that you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance & I look forward to hearing from you,
Sherri

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 11:08PM GMT
Hi there,

Were you looking for a specific record? I would be glad to help if I can...

Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions