Search for content in message boards

Intersecting others... trees

Intersecting others... trees

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 5:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
So this AncestryDNA test has really had me analyzing the trees of those that have 95% or more confidence, but no clear linkage to my family tree.

Does anyone have any means to take a couple of trees that have no clear intersection and then merge those two together to see if other trees have intersections?

This might be a good way to look for clues that could narrow down where to look in my tree for a connection

Thoughts?

Lou

Re: Intersecting others... trees

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 7:36PM GMT
Ancestry doesn't provide a way to do this yet, but hopefully they will, since similar tools are available elsewhere.

When Ancestry releases the raw data, you will be able to upload it to GEDMatch.com and compare it to others who have uploaded to GEDMatch... the trick will "just" be getting all of these matches to also upload to GEDMatch. Ha! (Hence the hope that Ancestry will offer this in-house.)

At GEDMatch you can compare both DNA of any two people (not just yourself) for common segments and GEDCOMs for common ancestor names, so long as you have the ID numbers for the other people's stuff. (That's why I put mine in my profile here.)

So, if a few hardworking volunteers can make this happen for a significant number of genealogists, and not even charge a penny, I think Ancestry should be able to swing it. ;) (Use that Feedback button if you agree!) Plus, Ancestry could probably improve such a feature to find common names throughout the tree (not just ancestors), like you said, kind of like how it currently works with the leaf hints.

Again, let them know if this is important to you. In the past, Ancestry has sort of implied that this kind of feature is not a "mainstream" interest. Tell them you feel otherwise! :)

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 9:47PM GMT
Where is the best place to provide this "feedback"

Did you do the same type of test on another service that gave you the results you can plug into GEDMatch.com?

Thanks,
Lou

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 1:24AM GMT
Hi Lou, on all of the DNA pages, there should be a button in the upper-right corner-ish that says "BETA Send Feedback."

Use it often! ;) Ancestry never replies, but they do seem to be listening.

I did this test at 23andMe because the Ancestry test got me so excited about genetic genealogy that I couldn't stand not having my raw data. (This was before Ancestry relented and announced that we'd get our raw data in "early 2013.") Both 23andMe and FTDNA are the other major players for autosomal tests like Ancestry's, and they both let you download the raw data so you can use the third-party tools.

I went with 23andMe because it was on sale at the time, plus I was curious about health information and knowing my maternal haplogroup. But, I had my husband tested at FTDNA because of their yDNA surname projects and because 23andMe is a bit of a nightmare for doing genealogy. (Which is why I always planned to transfer my 23andMe results to FTDNA.) Most people agree that all three companies have their merits. So, use that feedback button and inspire Ancestry to get/stay competitive - that way we all win! :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic