Search for content in message boards

Indian Gibson family from Charles City Couty

Indian Gibson family from Charles City Couty

Posted: 20 Jul 2008 1:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
The 'Indian' Gibson family below may descend from the 'old' Thomas and George Gibson who was in Charles City County early. Testimony below shows there were Indian slaves name Gibson in Charles City County who ended up in New Kent/Hanover. Apparently the case was never settled. The attorney for the Gibson/Evans family had a nervous breakdown and I assume these families were not freed.

There are some Charles County mentions at this website link below.

Does anyone have anything else on these Gibson/Evans familiesl? Joanne

The Slaves Held by Lewis Allen to the Superior Court, Richmond, Virginia, 1805 To the honorable, the judge of the superior court of chancery directed by law to be holden in the city of Richmond Humbly complaining shew unto your honor your orators and oratrixes Charles Evans, Amey Evans, Sukey Evans, Siras Evans, Solomon Evans, Frankey Evans, Sally Evans, Milly Evans, Adam Evans and Hannah Evans holden in slavery by Lewis Allen and permitted by this court to sue together here in forma pauperum as well as in their own behalf as in behalf of others in their family whose names are unknown to your orators and oratrixes and in whose cases are hereinafter stated. That your orators and oratrixes are children of a free woman of colour named Amey; who was daughter of another free woman named Sarah Colley, who was daughter of another woman of free colour named Jane Gibson; that from the document, depositions, and copies from records hereto annexed, it will appear that Thomas Gibson, alias Mingo Jackson, who is a son of Hannah, a sister by the mother's side to the aforesaid Amey; recovered his freedom from David Ross as well as various other descendants from the said Francis Evans, by the name of Evans; that your orators and oratrixes have just reason to fear and do fear that the aforesaid Lewis Allen who holds them in slavery, will sell them, as slaves with out the limits of this commonwealth; as he has already sold several of the family aforesaid in North Carolina whose names are unknown to your orators and oratrixes ....

Edm: Randolph begs leaves to certify to the judge, that the complainant Charles Evans is now tied and confined to be sent from Richmond and probably out of the country by the order of Lewis Allen; who cannot be served with a subpoena, a prohibition is therefore prayed against Allen and all other persons.

May 7, 1805

Deposition of Robert Wills in the suit Thomas Gibson alias Mingo Jackson plt. against David Ross deft. taken in presence of the plt & Mr. Vannerson agent for Mr. Ross by consent, at the house of the said Wills this 25th day of June 1791, who being first duly sworn deposeth and saith; That about seventy years ago he was well acquainted with Jane Gibson and George Gibson her brother who were dark mulattoes who lived in the County of Charles City and were
free people;

that the said Jane Gibson had two children named Jane and George Gibson and they were also free; That the said Jane Gibson the younger intermarried with a certain ---- Evans of the said county, by whom she had several children on of whom named Francis Evans granddaughter of the Jane Gibson above named, that the said Francis Evans removed to New Kent county, where she lived and had several children, two of whom, as Francis Evans informed this deponent were named Tom and Francis Evans who were bound to one Lightfoot of New Kent. This information was made to this Depont. by the said Frances Evans the elder when she was on a visit to her friends in this County, who were neighbours to this deponent. This deponent further saith that after the great
grandchildren viz; Tom and Francis were bound to the said Lightfoot he never heard anything more relative to them. That many of the descendants of the said Gibsons and Evans now in this deponents knowledge are alive, and enjoying their freedom unmolested and have remained so since this deponents first acquaintance with *the first Jane Gibson the elder; that some of them are black, some nearly white, and others dark mulattoes which this deponent supposes proceeded from a promiscuous intercourse with different colours*. . . .

SOURCE: Petition of the Slaves Held by Lewis Allen to the Superior Court of Richmond, Virginia May 7, 1805

http://www.geocities.com/ourmelungeons/gibsontl.html
http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whoweare/exhibits/destiny/public_op...

Re: Indian Gibson family from Charles City Couty

Posted: 10 Sep 2008 3:06AM GMT
Hmmm... You might start your research by looking up Chief Logan and a man named General John Gibson. Chief Logan was a Mingo Chief and Gen. John Gibson a close friend. I am not positive, but I believe John's son's name was Thomas (explains why he would go by the name 'Mingo') and supposedly, John married Chief Logan's sister. My father and grandfather have a book on this Gibson line, which hopefully, I will have soon. In this book, John's son Thomas is also listed as having been kidnapped by Inians. Hopefully I will have this book soon and be able to offer more information. I hope these details helped though!!!

Posted: 10 Sep 2008 9:58PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson
Hi, can you tell me the state these guys were in and also what is the name of the book and the author.
Thanks so very much and take care,
Darlene

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 12:49AM GMT
The book is called "Gibson's: Patriots, Soldiers, Pioneers" and it was written by Captain Henry E. Cummings. The Gibson's I'm referring to were children of George Gibson and Martha Deviney who settled in Lancaster, PA in 1734. One of their sons, General John Gibson (1740) was very friendly with Mingo indians and his son Nicholas spent several years with indians, as he was captured. John had a brother named Thomas and a brother named George. It's not unreal to expect that these may be the Gibson's you are looking for.

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 3:04AM GMT
Surnames: Gipson/Gibson/Emmett
Hi, thanks so much for your response. I so appreciate it. I will try and see if our genealogy center can get a copy.
Sound like it would be very interesting reading.
I do have a George W. /GipsonGibson b: 1792 in Burke Co, NC d: Bef. 1880
+Lavinia Emmett b: 1792 in Burke Co, NC d: Aft. 1880 in living Sugarfoot, Macon Co, NC.
Please feel free to contact me at darlene.poppe@adelphia.net or darlene.poppe@gmail.net
Thanks so much and take care,
Darlene

Posted: 7 Oct 2008 7:19AM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, St.Clair, Langley, Vanhooser
I know we are part Indian, but we are just trying to put it altogether. I am pretty new at this , but I am a fast learner at just about everything I do ! I am Ruth Gibson Groves, my Father was Ernest Ray Gibson, Mother Tiny Marie St.Clair, Gibson. His parents were Richard Winfrey Gibson 1870- and Cynthia Melinda Gibson 1873- 1960, they say they were cousins .They were from Tn.and came to Oklahoma, I really don't know when.They are buried in Tishomingo, Johnston Co., Oklahoma.rgroves1952@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 7 Oct 2008 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson

I tried to email you at the addy you have listed hwere but it came back as underliverable. My husband is a Gibson with family from Tishamingo. His grandparents were J=
ohn & Lena (Cason)=A0Gibson and his parents were John D & Lorene (McCracken=
)=A0Gibson. We are also trying to make a Native American connection but so =
far no luck. We have a Cynthia Melinda 1872-1960, Richard Winfrey 1870-1943=
. The copy of the tree that was sent to me is a bit confusing. Maybe betwee=
n us we can untrqavel this mystry and find the connection we need. Email me=
here at wvok45 at yahoo.com or jeangibson45 at hotmail.com. I use both so you ma=
y recieve mail from me from either addy. Looking forward to corrosponding with you. By the way, we live in Shawnee. Where are you located?=A0 Jea=
n Gibson

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 10:36PM GMT
Hi Joanne. Is this the same Jane Gibson I told you about that I found in the Library of Virginia?

Posted: 1 May 2009 1:28AM GMT
Jeannie

It could be, I don't recall what you sent me -- This shows that Jane and George were considered Indians in Charles City County as early as 1700 and George Gibson whose wife was 'Goodwife Gibson' of Charles City may have been Jane's [and George's] ancestors.

George Gibson was on Chippoakes Creek as was Thomas Gibson and Elizabeth Chavis, mother of 'Gibson Gibson' -- these people who won their case of Indian ancestry are very likely kinfolks to those Gibson who later went to Louisa County.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic