Search for content in message boards

Gerard DILLON brn. 4-20-1916 / DILLON family / Falls Street area, Belfast

Gerard DILLON brn. 4-20-1916 / DILLON family / Falls Street area, Belfast

Posted: 21 Feb 2002 3:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dillon, Foley
I'm looking for any information on the Dillon family. Gerard is my grandmother, Anne Dillon's, brother. They were two of eight children (Patrick, John, Joseph, Molly, Theresa and Vincent). Anne moved from N. Ireland around 1941-45 to America and married my grandfather. I don't know much about the remaining children except Vincent (who also moved to the States and retired here from the priesthood) and Gerard, who was quite well known in the Irish art community. Their parents were Joseph Henry Dillon and Annie (Foley) Dillon.

Again, I'm looking for ANY information on the remaining family and their children...would love to make contact with anyone who knows of them!

Thanks,
Wendy

Re: Gerard DILLON brn. 4-20-1916 / DILLON family / Falls Street area, Belfast

Liz (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2002 6:31PM GMT
Hello Wendy, just browsing thru the site. I know some of the area you mention, but the family name is not familiar. There is no Falls Street. There is a Falls Road, and there is a Fallswater Street.

Wendy Britton (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2002 1:32PM GMT
Surnames: DILLON/FOLEY
Hi Liz - thanks for the information. It must in fact be the Falls Road area. Isn't this the more Catholic neighborhoods of Belfast? My family is Catholic so it would explain it. I'm sorry the name didn't ring a bell but if you think of something additional, please feel free to email me at wcbritton@comcast.net.

Thanks again!

Wendy

Posted: 3 Sep 2011 4:17PM GMT
dillons aare from falls road john 46 abbysinia street family treasa sept 1876 joseph henry april 1875

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 5:14AM GMT
If you search the census, there are a few of that name living in the Falls Ward of Belfast.

Put in "Dillon", "Antrim" (County), and "Falls" (DED)

There are't so many in the 1901 census as the 1911.

There are a few wills on the PRONI sit that might help too.
I had a quick look and one is for Annie Dillon of Lower Clonard Street (Falls Road area).

www.census.nationalarchives.ie

www.proni.gov.uk

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 3:42PM GMT
Surnames: DILLON
I don't know if there is a connection but there have been Dillons in Belfast for a long time. The 1843 Belfast directory listed the following:
DILLON
William, Solicitor, Arthur St.
James, Hatter, Wesley Place
John, Publican, George's Lane
Thomas, Publican, Pound St.
Mrs, College St., South
Ann, 14 Falls Road
You might check later directories on the Lennon/Wylie web site.

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 2:38AM GMT
I'm directly related to gerard dillon, the other names seem familiar, I may be able to give yoûmore info :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions