Search for content in message boards

Cleland family

Cleland family

Posted: 21 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Apr 2005 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: PETERSON, GOGGANS, MANGUM, STEWART
Looking for relations and any other information on Giles Cleland and wife, Mahala Peterson Cleland. They are listed on the 1860 census for Chambers Co., AL. Their children were the following: Robert C., Nancy Jane, Bluford F., James H., Alfred R., George Lawrence E., and Arvazena. I believe that other relatives may have migrated to Chambers Co.: Peterson, Goggans, Mangum, Stewart. Any information appreciated!

Peterson-Goggans-Stewart connections in Chambers Co. AL

Mary Meyer (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: PETERSON, GOGGANS, STEWART, ABERNATHY, HERBERT, WORTHINGTON, DAVIS, BOYD, RICHARDSON, SIMCOCK, COLE, VINEYARD

HI LINDA, I have no answers on your CLELAND line, but I have lots of puzzle pieces on the Peterson, Goggans, Stewart, and Abernathy lines. Can you help me make them "fit"?

Daniel and Emily Goggans had a daughter Elizabeth S. Goggans who married Chesley W. Herbert (b 1832) in 1856. Chesley was the son of Isaac D. Herbert and Frances "Fanny" Worthington (1803-1845). Frances was a daughter of John Worthington (1754-1827) and Elizabeth Davis (1765-1833). Elizabeth was a sister of my ancestor Rhoda Davis who married John Abernathy in 1775 in Newberry Co. SC. Rhoda and Elizabeth were daughters of Chesley Davis and Mary Tate. Rhoda Davis Abernathy (1759-1843) was the first person buried at Macedonia Primitive Baptist Cemetery in Chambers Co. AL. Her son Samuel (my direct ancestor who lived 1798-1878) and his wife Jane Boyd, and Samuel's son James William Thomas Abernathy (1833-1917) and his wife Frances Joanna Creed, are also buried there.

Elizabeth Peterson (1802-1842) married Jeremiah Goggans. After he died, she married Joe Stewart (1792-1820), son of Joseph and Mary Stewart. Joe had a sister Rosannah who married Robert Boyd in 1789. [Robert Boyd died in 1847 in Mereiwether Co. GA.) Their daughter Jane Boyd married John Abernathy's son Samuel Abernathy in 1820 in Newberry Co. SC. Joe Stewart has a descendant, John Abner Stewart (b 1879), who married my daddy's first cousin, Lilly Bell Abernathy in 1909. Lilly Bell descends from Samuel and Jane. John Abner Stewart and wife Lilly Bell Abernathy are buried at Center Baptist Cemetery in Chambers Co. AL. Center Baptist Church is southwest of LaFayette near Blackman (originally the community was known as Ridge Grove). Lilly Bell's parents, Samuel Meshack Abernathy (1858-1947) and Sarah Mary Hewell (1859-1929) are both buried at Macedonia Primitive Baptist Cemetery in Chambers Co. AL. The experts on these Stewarts are Nancy (nancytex@wt.net) and Dick (puttpl@earthlink.net).

According to Betty (bettysellssimsbury@home.com), James Goggans b 1782 in Newberry Co. SC married Cassandra Peterson (1788-1866) about 1808 SC. She was the daughter of Thomas Peterson (b 1756) and Abigail Richardson.

I'm wondering if we can connect:

1) Elizabeth S. Goggans (does the "S." stand for Stewart?) who married Chesley W. Herbert in 1856 with Elizabeth Peterson (1802-1842) who married Jeremiah Goggans and later Joe Stewart? Could the younger Elizabeth be a daughter or granddaguhter of Elizabeth Peterson Goggans?

2) Cassandra Peterson (1788-1866) with Elizabeth Peterson (1802-1842); could they be sisters or first cousins?

3) James Goggans (who had an older relative named Daniel) and Daniel Goggans, father of Elizabeth S. Goggans Herbert?

John Abner Stewart (1879-1957) is buried at Center Baptist Cemetery in Chambers Co. AL, as is his father Thomas Jefferson Stewart (1848-1901). Thomas' father, Abner Peterson Stewart, is buried at County Line Baptist Cemetery in Chambers Co. AL, and his father Joe Stewart is buried at or near Silverstreet in Newberry Co. SC at Shady Grove Methodist Cemetery, as is his mother Elizabeth Peterson (Goggans) Stewart. Chesley W. Herbert's maternal grandparents (John Worthington and Elizabeth Davis) are buried at the old Worthington Plantation in Newberry Co. SC. Elizabeth Davis' parents are buried in Newberry Co. SC. John Worthington's father Samuel Worthington, Jr. died in 1784 in Abbeville District SC. Samuel's father Samuel Worthington married Sarah Simcock in 1716 in Springfield, PA and he died in 1739 in Orange Co.VA. John Worthington had a brother Elijah W. Worthington (bur. Edgefield Co. SC) who married another DAVIS
sister (2 brothers married 2 sisters).

ARE THERE ANY CLUES HERE FROM WHICH YOU CAN DRAW
CONCLUSIONS?

My father Thomas Nelson Abernathy was b in or near Buffalo in Chambers Co. AL in 1896. He moved with his family about 1900 to Chilton Co. AL. His father John Thomas Abernathy (b 1854 in Chambers Co. AL) worked at Leverett's old mill in Chambers Co. AL. My Grandmother Abernathy was Dorthula Nelson Cole (1854-1933), daughter of David Lawson Cole (1820-1905) and Nancy Rasberry Vineyard, who are buried at Rock Springs Baptist Cemetery (the new one) in Chambers Co. AL.

Mary Abernathy Meyer in TX

Re: Peterson-Goggans-Stewart connections in Chambers Co. AL

Posted: 27 Apr 2006 11:52PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2006 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Glenn, Nelson, Floyd, Peterson, Richardson, Williams & Williamson
Hello ! I just noticed your message on the Board and wanted to write. My ggg grandmother was Naomi Peterson born 2 February 1778 or 9. She died 20 December 1843 at Newberry, SC ... a few days after her son James Clark Glenn died and 5 days before her daughter Matilda Goggans Williamson. Naomi was the sister of the Cassandra and Elizabeth Peterson you mentioned. I have will papers for Naomi, who married a Daniel Goggans and later John Glenn of Newberry, SC. I'd like to hear from some researchers who are researching the same surnames as I am. Thanks !
per page

Find a board about a specific topic