Search for content in message boards

Jernigans of Cherokee Indian Heritage

Jernigans of Cherokee Indian Heritage

Posted: 19 Oct 2005 9:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jernigan (Jarnagin, Journegan etc.); Brown
My Great Grandmother was supposed to be full blooded Cherokee. Her Name was Nancy (Jernigan) Brown. She was born around 1854 and married George Brown around 1877. She and George are in the Tennessee Census in Rutherford County in 1880.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Jernigans of Cherokee Indian Heritage

Sherry Broadie (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2006 2:54AM GMT
My grandmother was also Cherokee. Her name was Noleon Jernigan Fussell. Most called her Linnie. She died in 1924 of the measles. She is buried in Folkston Ga. I likewise am looking for any info I can get. I know that her mother's name was Rinna and she was from Bullock Co. Georgia. Sorry I cant be of any assistance to you right now, but maybe in the future since we at least have the Indian part in common with our searches.....Sherry

Posted: 21 Mar 2010 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: Jernigan Stockton
My grandmother, Lelia Stockton Talbert, Daughter of Rachel Jerigan and Samuel P. Stockton, and her siblings have strong Native American characterists. All siblings except for my grandmother were born in Everton,Dade, Missouri. My grandmother was born 19 FEB 1893 in Indian Territory, Oklahoma. She was embarrassed to talk about her "half-breed" heritage so little is known. Does anyone have information on possible Cherokee Heritage that will fill in the blanks for me?

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 2:51AM GMT
I found a Nancy Jernigan born about 1834 that married George Brown Feb 1874. If this is the same people she would be the sister of my GG Grandfather William "Bill" Watkins Jernigan, and my GG Aunt. The years are different but the names are the same so makes one question the validity.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: jernigan
I reviewed the books, Cherokee Roots, Vol 1 & Vol 2, and found the surname Jernigan listed in the Dawes/Guion Miller
Rolls 1898-1914 as follows:
Jernigan, Drusilla A (Miller roll # 15313)
Jernigan, Elde E (Miller roll # 30648)
this is a listing of those Eastern Cherokee residing both
East and West of the Mississippi entitled to participate i
monetary claims (Guion Miller of 1909). Don't know if this
helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions