Search for content in message boards

George PARKER b Belfast, Antrim c1843

George PARKER b Belfast, Antrim c1843

Posted: 25 Feb 2002 11:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Son of George Parker and Jane Sneddon. Married Anne McIvean in Ireland – son John. Married Ruth Scott in Govan, Lanark in 1869 – 5 children. Married Mary 1885-90 in Renfrew, Renfrew – 2 children.

Re: George PARKER b Belfast, Antrim c1843

Hugh Macartney (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2002 3:01AM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2003 3:20AM GMT
Surnames: Parker, Sneddon
I suspect McIveen should be McIlveen. The 1843 Directory for Belfast lists the following:
McIlveen or McIlvene
James, weaver, 16 Little Donegal St.
David, Soap & Candle maker, 27 Great Edward St.
John, Cloth lapper, 11 Stanley St.
I can find no reference to the name Sneddon and think it likely is a variant of the name, "Snoddon".
There is a Snoddon headstone in the graveyard of the Drumbo Presbyterian Church (outside Belfast).
SNODDON
Erected by Samuel Snoddon, Junior, of Drumbo, to the memory of his beloved and affectonate wife Agnes Snoddon who died July 2nd. 1831 aged 24. Also their infant child Margret who died aged two months. I believe Snoddy and Snoddie are other variants of the name. Other Snoddan/Snowden/Snodden gravestones are found in the Tullynakill Graveyard which is on the west side of Strangford Lough south of Newtownards.

Raewyn Agate (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2002 6:22AM GMT
Hugh - Thanks so much for your help. Raewyn

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 3:12AM GMT
Surnames: Snowden, Snodden, Gibson
I have a Samuel Snowden (Snodden) that immigrated from the area of Dormore, which is near Belfast. There is a strong possibility we are looking for the same Snodden/Snowden families. My Samuel was born around 1750, had several children prior to immigrating in the early 1790's to South Carolina, USA and continued to have more children after they arrived in the states. Samuel was married to Mary Gibson, daughter of John Gibson. Please contact me at trish@animalsage.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions