Search for content in message boards

Coyle brothers in Paterson NJ 1850's

Coyle brothers in Paterson NJ 1850's

Posted: 7 Apr 2002 4:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coyle, Harrold
Looking for information on parents/descendants of brothers Bernard, Henry, Richard & Patrick Coyle who lived in Paterson in the 1850's. Bernard married Sarah (Harrold) in 1857. Thanks.

Re: Coyle brothers in Paterson NJ 1850's

Posted: 26 May 2002 8:39PM GMT
My great-great grandfather was Richard Coyle he married Cathrine Brennan on Sept.26,1861 in Newark N J all nine of thier children were born in Paterson

Posted: 26 May 2002 10:18PM GMT
Richard and Cati had 9 children... Mary, Kate, Richard(my great grandfather) Theresa, Rosanna, Maggie, Lizzie, Ellie and Harry
My G-Grandfather Richard married Maryanne Noonan their children were Raymond, William, Leo, Joesph and I think there were 2 older than Raymond I'm not sure .
My grandfather was William born Jan.5 1898 I had the pleasue of meeting Leo and Joe. Joe never married but Leo's family still lives in the area.
My grandfather William married Francis Drummond daughter of Walter Drummond and Sarah Courtney(nee Woods)
Their children were William (my dad) Robert Elenor, Walter.
Harold and Lois I hope this helps

Jim Coyle (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2002 2:45AM GMT
Linda,

Thanks very much for your 2 posts. I'm fairly certain that "your" Richard & "my" Bernard were brothers, judging from other family files I've been able to view since learning of Richard's wife Catherine Brennan. (Is it possible that her maiden name was Brannin (vs. Brennan?) While Brennan seems to be the majority name I've seen in other postings, Brannin has also popped up too.

One final question -- do you have any info on Richard's (& Bernard's) parents? I've been looking for years & am hoping some day to get past this roadblock.

(Feel free to E-mail me directly if you wish.)

Thanks,

Jim Coyle

Posted: 27 May 2002 1:38PM GMT
Jim,
I havn't been working at this for a very long time, but the information I do have came from St. John's Church in Paterson. It seems most events such as weddings and baptisms all took place there.Since I also grew up in Paterson and in that parish like my father that was the first place I looked. I will make an appointmet to go back to see if I can get any more information on the family.
Thanks
Linda Coyle

Jim Coyle (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2002 3:56PM GMT
Thanks very much Linda. Would love to hear if you are able to find any further information on the family.

Jim

Posted: 28 Dec 2002 3:17AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2005 10:45PM GMT
Do you know what year Leo was born in? Thanks!

Posted: 28 Feb 2004 6:22PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 2:27AM GMT
My father in law was Henry Francis Coyle. His father (with the same name) came over from Ireland and died in West Orange, NJ. I know my father in law had a brother named Charles Coyle who was an Irish Tenor and sang on cruise ships. There were also sisters, though I don't know any names. Henry Francis Coyle II married Willameina Garrabrant and they had three children, Harry, Richard, and Thomas. Anyone here connected? I have no other information and would welcome any you can share.

Jim Coyle (View posts)
Posted: 29 Feb 2004 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Coyle brothers in Paterson NJ 1850's
Hi Beth,

I have several Henry Coyles c. 1800's in my records, but no Charles (this may be merely due to missing info) Do you have any birth or death dates for "your" Henry's?

Two possibilities in my records:
First:
Henry Coyle (B 6/1832 Ireland / D Aft 1905 NJ - probably Paterson)
Son Henry Coyle (B 9/1881) - siblings Mary, Emma, Sarah, William, George, Richard (no Charles noted)
Second:
Henry Coyle (b 3/1879 Paterson NJ) - had 9 siblings (Minnie, Kate, Richard, Rosanna, Theresa, Frederick, Lizzie, Margaret, Nellie) Don't have this Henry's children (could they include "your" Henry F. & Charles?)
This Henry's father was Richard Coyle (3/1837 Ireland - 4/13/1901 Paterson)

Henry Coyle in the "First" possibilty above & Richard in the "Second" possibility above were brothers.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing.

Not sure if any of this matches your records.

Good luck,

Jim

Posted: 2 Mar 2004 2:15AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2004 2:27AM GMT
Thank you for responding. My father in law, Henry Francis Coyle was born on December 15, 1903, at 185 White St. Orange. His father was Henry Coyle and his mother was Mary Manuus or Mannus. I believe he died in 1969 in Newark. In an old book I did find the news clipping of the first Henry's(the father of my father in law)obit. It told where he was from in Ireland and how he operated a store that sold school supplies and the like. I also think he was a teacher at a catholic school in one of the Oranges. Of course I put that clipping away so safely.........I've never found it since. I do believe he's laid to rest at maybe St. John's ceme. Also I have Charles Coyle's passport type paper with a pic of him on it and some programs where he is listed as the featured Irish Tenor on a cruise line.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions