Search for content in message boards

Whitaker, Elisha, b. abt 1809 and Lewis, b. abt 1840

Whitaker, Elisha, b. abt 1809 and Lewis, b. abt 1840

Linda Hudson (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2006 5:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whitaker, Williamson, Webb
Elisha Whitaker, b. abt 1809, married Nancy Williamson 5 Nov 1835. Their son, Lewis, b. abt. 1840, married Martha Unknown, b. abt 1853, Kentucky. Their daughter Louisa Whitaker, b. abt 1872, Greenup Co, KY married Oscar M. Webb abt. 1890. They are ggrandparents of a friend who is researching her Webb and Whitaker ancestors.

Seeking the parents of Elisha Whitaker and the maiden name of Martha, who married Lewis. I can't find Lewis on the 1870 census, but he's on the 1880 census with wife, Martha, and children Louisa, Charles, Alice and Lewis (Louis?) Wm. Whitaker in Greenup Co, KY.

Elisha was on 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870 census in Surrey Co, NC.

Elisha's sons Elisha and Lewis both served in the Civil War from Surry Co, NC.

Re: Whitaker, Elisha, b. abt 1809 and Lewis, b. abt 1840

Bob Carter (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2006 12:16AM GMT
Hi Linda,

I have his parents as Jonathan WHITAKER I and his wife Anna DEZERN. His name also is spelled and went by Elijah.

This family is also covered in the Descendants of William Whitaker & his brother Jonathan Whitaker I, by Hester Jackson (1989, Nu-Line Printing & Photography, Elkin, NC).

How are you connected? Your last name of HUDSON is interesting since some of them married with the HUDSON (HUTSON) lines there. My mother's mother was a WHITAKER from Pilot Mtn and that is how I connect to the WHITAKER lines.

Bob Carter
Greensboro, NC

Re: More on Lewis Whitaker

Bob Carter (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2006 1:16AM GMT
In Adams County, IL, 1900 census, there is Lewis F. WHITAKER (from NC), age 58, married 36 years to a wife named Martha, age 54. Shows a son Robbie age 15 born in IL.

Bet this is the son of Elijah.

Bob Carter

Re: Whitaker, Elisha, b. abt 1809 and Lewis, b. abt 1840

Linda Hudson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2006 11:26AM GMT
Surnames: Whitaker, Webb
My friend, Linda Clobes, is related to this family via an Oscar M. Webb who married Louisa Whitaker. Linda has the research that we have found thus far, so I'm doing this from memory and may be wrong, but we had found a marriage at Ancestry that said Elisha married a Nancy Williamson in Surry Co, NC in 1835. We found what we believe to be our Lewis Whitaker in Elisha's household in 1850 and 1860, but not 1870. In 1880, he's in Greenup Co, KY, married to Martha.

Would you object if we communicated off the list? My email is lindahudsonbailey@yahoo.com. I can send you what we have researched thus far.

We found your postings about William and Jonathan Whitaker and their descendants and we know there is a book about them. We thought our Louisa, with father Lewis and mother Martha, could fit in to this family but we weren't sure.

I also saw your post about Lewis being in Adams Co, IL and I am going to follow up on that.

I have seen a listing of Jonathan Sr.'s children posted and did not see an Elisha or Elijah, but thought he could be a child and just not listed or not listed as such.

I'm going to share your posts with Linda C. and you'll hear from us.

Linda Hudson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic