Search for content in message boards

"Sunfish, Edmonson County, Kentucky, Oasis of Catholicism" available on CD

"Sunfish, Edmonson County, Kentucky, Oasis of Catholicism" available on CD

Posted: 21 Jul 2004 7:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Aug 2006 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Durbin, Bush, Duvall, French, Hack, Hayes, Lashley, Logsdon, Metcalf, Simon/Simons, Tomes
"Sunfish, Edmonson County, Kentucky, Oasis of Catholicism" is a 600+ page book compiled by James Simon about 20 years ago tracing the history of the families who settled in and around Sunfish, Kentucky. James is deceased and the book is no longer in print. I have received permission from his daughter to make the book available on CD as long as the price does not exceed my cost of production and shipping.

I have scanned the entire book into .pdf files and have included some old photographs of people, primarily members of the Durbin family, mentioned in the book. Included in the CD are histories of the following families: Bush, Durbin, Duvall, French, Hack, Hayes, Lashley, Logsdon, Metcalf, Simon/Simons, and Tomes. If you would like a copy of the CD, please send $10 to:
Dick Durbin
1808 Bridgemont Trail
Tallahassee, FL 32312

olebiker@comcast.net.

If I find that I recover anything in excess of my cost of production and postage, I will donate the excess to the fund for maintenance of the cemetary at St. John the Evangelist Church at Sunfish.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee, FL

Re: "Sunfish, Edmonson County, Kentucky, Oasis of Catholicism" available on CD

John R. Huff Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2006 10:15PM GMT
Surnames: Huff/ Durbin

I descend from the Huff Family of Edmonson County, Kentucky. One of the earlier ancestors married into this local Durbin family. I am interested in knowing if there is any information in this book on the Huff Family directly or indirectly.

Thanks for a response.

Posted: 14 Aug 2006 11:38PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2006 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Durbin, Huff
Which Huffs are you looking for information on?

There are several Huffs mentioned in the book:

There is a little bit of information on James Huff, his wife Mary Ann, and their children.

"While there were several other Huff families living in Butler and Ohio Counties, there were but two Huff families living in Edmonson County in 1880."

John Huff, his wife Rachel, and 8 children, and P.M. Huff, his wife Sarah, and 3 children

John R. Huff Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2006 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Huff/Durbin

I am a descendant of James Huff who married Mary Durbin.

In 1880, members of this family were still in Edmonson, County. The name may be listed in the Census as Hough.

Martin R. Huff was still in the county until the 1890's when he migrated to Texas.

I am interested in this Huff Family who came from Jackson County, Tennessee to Butler County, Kentucky, and then to Edmonson County, Kentucky.

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 12:09AM GMT
Dick,
I would like to order a copy of the CD. Is there a form of payment that is preferred?
Thanks

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 1:13AM GMT
Just send a check for $10 to me at 1808 Bridgemont Trail, Tallahassee, FL 32312

Posted: 4 Jul 2007 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Durbin, Logsdon, Turner
Hi Dick!
I just arrived home from my 2 weeks in KY! I was amazed to find so many family members in St John's Cemetery in Sunfish. Not only the Durbin side but the Logsdons as well!

And I just love the Sunfish Mall. lol

Posted: 5 Jul 2007 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Durbin
Jeanne,

One of these days, perhaps this Fall, I want to get up there and photograpah all of the headstones and note what is written on each of them. I tried to get a start on it a couple of years ago, but my Dad was with me and he kept telling me stories about the people buried there. I figured the headstones would always be there, but I couldn't pass up on hearing Dad's stories.

I have a photograph on the wall in my office of a sign that was on the side of the Sunfish Mall. It reads, "Durbin's Gas and Electric Sunfish, KY 42284." What is funny about that is that I work for the Florida Public Service commission that regulates electric and gas companies.

Dick Durbin

Posted: 5 Jul 2007 1:21PM GMT
Dick,
It was beautiful. I took many pics, would you like me to send them?? I was disapointed that the church was locked and nobody was around...

I bet the stories were great! I too listened to many of them. :-)

I also took a pic of the "Durbin's Gas and Electric Sunfish, KY 42284." My family room walls will never be the same..... lol

Posted: 5 Jul 2007 1:31PM GMT
Surnames: Durbin
Jeanne,
I would love to have any pictures you took. Thanks.

Dick
per page

Find a board about a specific topic