Alex Evans (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2006 4:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Powell, Holt
I am looking for info on my gggggg grandfather Ambrose Powell
b.1754 N. Carolina?
d.(sept?)1827
m. ?Margaret ? (may be Holt)

Trying to find out his wifes name and where they were buried. To my knowlege Ambrose may be buried in Muary Co. Tenn.
Any info is appreciated Thank you! - Alex

Re: Ambrose Powell

Barbara Powell Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2006 11:40PM GMT
Well, not sure I can help you but I have a Ambrose Powell born March 17, 1829 in Harlan Co. Ky and died August 18, 1896, Harlan Co. Ky.

He was married to a Margaret Smith who I believe was his second wife.

Lee Pinkney Powell, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2006 10:06AM GMT
Go to http://genforum.genealogy.com/powell/ and do a forum search on Ambrose. There is a ton of info.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 10:55PM GMT
Ambrose who died in 1827 in Maury Co married a Miss Holt before coming to TN, and all his children were hers. After arrival in TN he married Margaret Knox (a widow). Her children were all by her first marriage to James Knox. One of Ambrose's sons married one of Margaret's daughters, so depending on how you are descended, you might be connected to her. For Ambrose's children, begin with the 1830 lawsuit which names them all, along with some grandchildren.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: Powell
Hi,

Do you know of a site or book to try and request that has a copy of the law suit.
Thank you, Diane

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 8:42PM GMT
The historian at the Maury Co. Historical Society has kindly sent out photocopies of the lawsuit. It is difficult to decipher. Look on the Powell Forum of GenForum; you will find a number of messages there dealing with Ambrose and his lineage, including transcriptions/translations of the lawsuit and a "sorting" of the children.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions