Search for content in message boards

Where did Kanes come from in Ireland?

Where did Kanes come from in Ireland?

John Kane (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2001 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kane
I have two questions.

The first is: Does anyone know with certainty where in Ireland in the 1700-1800's the Kane family lived? (Assuming they all came from the same place.)

The second is: I have traced my branch of the Kane family to births in West Springfield, Massachusetts in the 1830-1840's, but cannot get back any further. I know from some lists of ships passengers that there are the following possible emmigrations from Ireland to America:
1) John, Patrick and Robert Kane arrived in NYC in 1816 aboard the Shamrock out of Dublin.
2) Charles Kane and family arrived in New London, CT in 1811 aboard the Mariner out of Londonderry.
But these are only speculation because I cannot connect any of them to West Springfield, Mass.
Does anyone else out there claim any connection to these emmigrants?

John Kane

Sandy Harris (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2001 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kane
I have a copy of a newspaper article "The Kane Family in America From Ireland in 1750s"
From the Tri-State Trader, Knighsttown, IN 46148, June 2, 1973 by Michael J. O'Brien

From the publication of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society: Hashbrouck's History of Duchess County; Francis Bazely Lee's Geneaological and Memorial History of New Jersey and oather sources.(from the Journal of the American Irish Historical Society, Vol. XVII, 1918).

It begins:

The well-known Kane families of New York, Albany, Philadelphia, Boston and other places are descended from Colonel John O'Kane, who came from Ireland to this country in the year 1752. He was son of a wealthy merchant and porter of Belfast named Bernard Kane, whose original family name was O'Cahan. Bernard O'Kane married a famous Irish beauty, Rose O'Neill, daughter of Lord O'Neill of Shane's Castle, County Antrim of the celebrated family of O'Neill whose name is so intimately associated with remarkable events that have occurred, not alone in Ulster, but in Ireland for several centuries. John O'Kane was born at Crebaligh, County Antrim, on December 2, 1734. (Or December 12, or 22 - I can't tell if numbers are missing)

If you are interested in the rest of the article e-mail me.

The Kanes-where from??

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 1:43PM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2002 9:43PM GMT
See Kanes in Donegal dated 01/06/01 just about seven or eight lines below your query.
Reply direct to hjpetersen@mindspring.com

john kane

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 1:59PM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2002 9:43PM GMT
See Kanes in Donegal dated 01/06/01 just about seven or eight lines below your query.
Reply direct to hjpetersen@mindspring.com
Posted: 19 Jan 2001 7:47PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2003 3:21PM GMT
Ms. Harris, you said you had an article of the Kanes in America. Would like very much to see the rest of it. Contact me by email or leave a message on this board.
Thanks, Jim Kane

Kanes in Ireland

Posted: 25 Jan 2001 12:52AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2003 5:28AM GMT
My G.G.Grandfather Thomas Kane lived in Loughrea-Cty. Galway Ireland. My G.Grandfather Michael Kane was born in 1846 in Loughrae-Cty. Galway, Ireland at the age of 20 came to America arrived in NYC in 1866.
I am in same boat your in , Cannot get back any further than G.Grandfather Michael. I only know his father's name because its on Michael's death certificate. Michael had a brother John that all contact with him was lost some time around 1880. Not sure what happened to John. I don't think we have any connection, but looking for help.
I was able to give you another place in Ireland that Kanes are from.
Dennis
dckane5yahoo.com

Kanes in Ireland

Posted: 25 Jan 2001 1:31AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2003 5:28AM GMT
John my e-mail is wrong, in my reply to Kanes in Ireland. Its dckane5@yahoo.com
Dennis

Kanes in America

Tzefira (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2001 11:52AM GMT
Ms. Harris, I would also like a copy of this article.

Where do Kanes Come From in Ireland

applejanie (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2001 6:30PM GMT
Looking for previous generation of William
and Margarett Jamison Kane from Ballycastle, Co.Antrim, No. Ireland. Wm. born 10 May,
1828 in City Bellentoy ? - married 12 Oct 1855 - Margarett born 28 Sept 1828. They came to U. S. in 1865. Settled in Knox Co., Ohio and in 1870 moved to Red Oak, IA and are both buried in Farm Creek Cemetery in Henderson, IA near Red Oak. Their name on headstone reads "Kain" but records from Ireland spell it "Kane". When their children went to school is this country their teacher spelled name "Cain". If anyone has any previous info on this family please respond.
Posted: 1 Feb 2001 5:18PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 2:05AM GMT
My Kanes are from Edinburgh & Glasgow, Scotland. John, John, Bernard
Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions