Search for content in message boards

Tierneys of Killeenadeema, Loughrea, Galway to San Francisco, Ca.

Tierneys of Killeenadeema, Loughrea, Galway to San Francisco, Ca.

Posted: 26 May 2009 6:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tierney, Ford, Broderick, OMalley, Joyce, Scahill, Tully, King, Silvers, Sprigler, Brady, Mooney, Nee, Connors, Lowry, Lynch, Kelly, Curren, Littlejohn, Bennett, Egan, Greeley,
Looking for Relatives of John, b. 1800-1820. Married to Bridget Ford, dau of Francis or Frank. Children Thomas, Ann Hanora and James were born in Killeenadeema 1833 thru 1841. John and children arrived 1853. First lived in Troy, NY. John moved to NJ, where he died about 1860. Thomas married Mary Broderick, whose Waterford, Ireland family settled in Newburyport, Mass. No children.
Nora married a Mooney, who died in Randolph Co.,WV in 1860. Her son, James Mooney m Catherine Lombard and raised a large family in San Francisco. Nora married John Greeley and their daughter, Agnes married James Eagan in SF. Their 4 children lived their lives in the Bay Area.
My gggrandfather, James Tierney married Ellen OMalley and raised 9 children in Amador County, Ca, after marrying in 1867 in Louisville, KY, while staying with the Tully's. Later moving to San Francisco around 1900, they lived on Dubose and Clinton Place. Tierney sisters lived there until the last one died in 1969.
Ellen Omalley's mother, (our family says Bridget King, some say Cecelia Joyce) married a Tierney after her first husband died. These Tierneys lived in Pittsburg and were very close to the Tully's of Louisville, Ky ( Ellen's sister, Mary E.'s family). Patrick and Molly Tierney may have been related to my Tierney family.
Ellen's other sisters, Ann Joyce and Cecilia Scahill, lived in Shawnee, Perry Co. Ohio and Coalton, WV. The Joyce family later moved to Pittsburgh. One of the Scahill sons moved to the Monterey area in Calif.
Anyone connected to these families, please contact me to help fill in the blanks. My family tree is available on this site for viewing. Surnames I've listed are additional families that have married into the Tierney - OMalley family. I have a family history book that notes them to be cousins but not all connections are clear.

Re: Tierneys of Killeenadeema, Loughrea, Galway to San Francisco, Ca.

Posted: 31 May 2009 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: TIERNEY/GREELEY/GREALEY/MEEHAN
Your name looks familiar to me, so we may have compared notes before.
My Great Grandfather Patrick TIERNEY married Margaret DILLON and they settled in San Francisco before 1870. Her mother's maiden name was GREELEY/GREALEY and she was from Athenry, Galway, Ireland.
This is all I have:
Nicholas and Julia (GREALEY)DILLON and children in 1860 Waltham Mass census. Family next shows up in SF in 1870 census with Patrick TIERNEY married to their daughter Margaret.
I can also track a MEEHAN family that is mixed with them in San Francisco as Julia's sister Mary GREELEY married a MEEHAN.
The DILLONS and MEEHANS were in the iron foundry/moulder trade.

Posted: 1 Jun 2009 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Tierney, Greeley
The Greeley - Tierney connection from the same area to the same area is hard to dismiss. It's quite possible they are all related. Do you have an obit, death cert or any other doc that might ID Patrick's parents?

Posted: 1 Jun 2009 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: TIERNEY/DILLON/GREELEY
I don't really know when he died. If he died before the 1906 earthquake..it's hard to get any paperwork. I know more about the female side the Dillon/Greeley.
I don't know where in Ireland Patrick came from. I know the Dillons cam from Athenry, Galway. He may have met Margaret in SF or on the East coast. She was single and with her parents in 1860 Waltham, Mass and then married (they were living with her parents) in 1870 SF. I can assume they were pretty newly married as their children were yet to arrive.

Posted: 2 Jun 2009 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Tierney, Greeley, Dillon, Broderick
Well, I mapquested the Boardman address of Patrick and Margaret and the Brannan St. address of my gggreat uncle Thomas and his wife, Mary Broderick Tierney. They lived a block from each other. Thomas had a blacksmith shop at 7th and Bryant, which is 1/2 block from Patrick's home. They must have known each other. Another coincidence: Mary Broderick had lived in Newburyport, Mass. I don't know how Thomas and Mary met, but it sems he was likely in Mass. at some point, too.

Posted: 2 Jun 2009 4:24PM GMT
Surnames: TIERNEY/
Well, I'm impressed to see that you found their address. Must have run the census. Sounds like we may have something here.
I have most of the city directory pages from that time and some obits on two of their young daughters that give addresses. Also an obit on Margaret that gives an address and lets me know that Patrick was still alive.
Shall we meet off the message board or do you want to keep posting so others can see?

I will look at the directory pages with Thomas in mind.

Colleen

Posted: 3 Jun 2009 7:47PM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2012 4:25PM GMT
this is very interesting. Although apparently no relation to yours, I have Tierneys w/ Mass.(c.1835) and San Fran(1870) connections. David Tierney married Margaret (nee Ireland, but maiden name?). He was widowed by 1900. We believe that he died in Seattle, Washington of Brights disease on April 22, 1906. His sister Mary (Tierney) Burke, also widowed, may have perished in the San Francisco earthquake and fire of April 18-23, 1906. Of David's children, Daniel survived, but Mary is a ?? Daniel married Julia Buckley, and their only child, Margaret, married a man w/ McKenna surname.

Posted: 4 Jun 2009 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: TIERNEY
I am about to leave on a short trip or I might go into more detail.
Even if we are not directly related, it helps to connect as it may guide each of us to sort through all these TIERNEYS.

Colleen

Posted: 4 Jun 2009 3:05PM GMT
I'll look frward to your detail. I have a great amount of that myself, as well as some conjecture.

There were a number of Tierneys who settled in Canada after coming from Ireland. I don't know if that was our origin, but it's possible, because we have so little info before 1840

Posted: 5 Jun 2009 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: Tierney, Greeley, Dillon
Did Julia commit suicide at age 35? I found an old newspaper article about how John's wife, Maggie, went down to the pier and left pictures of her 2 sons in her shoes, as if she jumped in SF Bay, but the police found her later. She said the water was too cold to jump in. She was motivated by an argument with her husband and that her sister-in-law, Julia, 26 yrs old at the time, had recently tried to commit suicide. I found an obit for Julie dated several years later, but it didn't explain why she died so young.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic