Search for content in message boards

T.S. CARTER / FRANKLIN CO., KS / c. 1870-1900

T.S. CARTER / FRANKLIN CO., KS / c. 1870-1900

Posted: 10 May 2003 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for information about the T.S CARTER family listed in the 1895 Agri. census Franklin Co., Pottawatomie Twp.,Lane P.O.
Family 183-183
T.S. CARTER 49 M IN (to KS from IN) b: c.1846
M. CARTER 37 F OH (to KS from Wisc) b: c. 1858
G. CARTER 18 M KS b: c. 1877
W.M. CARTER 15 M KS b: c. 1880
NORA CARTER 10 F KS b: c. 1884-5
HANNAH CARTER 8 F KS b: c. 1886
ARMSTRONG, L. 11 F KS b: c. 1884-5
ARMSTRONG, NORA 8 F KS b: 13 Oct 1886
ARMSTRONG, CHARLEY 6 M KS b:c.1889

L. ARMSTRONG is Elizabeth (Lizzy).
NORA ARMSTRONG is my grandmother, she and her two siblings are listed here in the household of her mother's parents (I believe).

I believe that Nora & Elizabeth & Charley's mother CATHERINE CARTER-ARMSTRONG died 1890 in Pomona or Rantoul KS.
And here is what I think will turn out to be CATHERINE (KATE) CARTER ARMSTRONG'S Obituary
(family story is she died eight years after her oldest child,Elizabeth (Lizzy) was born.

Index to Pomona Annals, 1884 to 1906.
Pomona, Kansas had a newspaper almost continuously from 1884 to 1928.
Interesting tidbits from those newspapers have been extracted and placed in a notebook at the Ottawa Library. The following index refers to the name found, and the date of the newspaper.
Armstrong, Kate. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .25 Apr 1890
I think that perhaps the newspaper is an Obituary for Kate.
Gads, how I would like to get my hands on that!!!!!

That would be a good reason for the three children to be in the household of their grandparents. I wonder where their father JAMES WILLIS ARMSTRONG was at that time. Nearby?

I lastly, I have JAMES ARMSTRONG in the 1900 census widow w/ only Charles and Nora. in the 1900 census in Allen Co. Iola ? twp. ED 11 sheet 14 line 46 FHL
Armstrong, James W., 45, b:1854, b. IL/father b: IL/ mother b: IL widow, laborer-cement
Nora, dgt.,13 Oct 1886, KS?IL?IN, at school
(my paternal grandmother)
Charles, son, 11 Aug 1899, KS?IL?IN, at school
( should be 1889)?
Elizabeth (Lizzy) must have moved out of her parents home by 1900 & and their mother, Catherine (Kate) had passed on.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
mema

Re: T.S. CARTER / FRANKLIN CO., KS / c. 1870-1900

Posted: 10 May 2003 5:11AM GMT
CORRECTION::
NORA ARMSTRONG is my grandmother, she and her two siblings are listed here in the household of her mother's parents OR BROTHER. (I believe).

That would be a good reason for the three children to be in the household of their mother's family. The math puts Catherine at about 35 years in 1895, if she had lived. T.S. Carter is listed as 49 years in 1895, making it only 14 years between them, so I wonder if T.S Carter is Catherine Carter-Armstrong's brother?? Both Catherine & T.S. Carter were born in Indiana.

mema

Posted: 10 May 2003 3:45PM GMT
I read your inquire with interest as my Carter ancestors are all from this time frame and area. However, I don't recognize any matches with my line. You can find my line in Ancestory.Com Family Trees under Henry Carter.

However, I have a cousin who is from Franklin Co KS and has done research in that area for decades and probably has some info that would be helpful.

Unfortunately, he is not computer literate and would have to work with you by mail. E-mail me back with your thoughts and if you like I can make the intro with you... and pass on this info to him. I'm sure he would be glad to share what he has.

Lance Carter

Posted: 10 May 2003 4:58PM GMT
Thank you for your interest in my query about my Carter-Armstrong family.

Give me some facts about your Henry Carter that would seperate him from the many other Henry Carters on the Ancestry family tree project. Birthdate, location, parents or wife.

I would be delighted to correspond postal with your cousin....I might find a new cousin to add to my heart.

This is too much fun
mema

Posted: 10 May 2003 6:21PM GMT
I found your family tree in the ancestry.com site. And it sure looks like your CARTERS were right there with my CARTERS at the same places and dates in KS. And some of them came from Indiana (like mine). But no connections as yet.

You have one that died in Tulare CA. And that is where my grandmother Nora Bessie Armstrong-Quick (daughter of CATHERINE CARTER & JAMES WILLIS ARMSTRONG) moved to in about 1910 or so. I think her sister Elizabeth (Lizzy ) Armstrong did too.

This is too much fun
mema

Posted: 26 May 2003 3:08PM GMT
Hopefully the third time will be the charm.. I keep trying to post an answer to your inquire and for some reason it evaporates and isn't posted.

I agree the two families have some uncanny similarities which should lead to a tie somewhere.. The only Armstrong line I can find doesn't seem to tie to your info:

Roy Lenard Bence
· born February 18, 1917
· birthplace Tulare County, California
· died April 26, 1962
· buried Woodlake, California
Wife Roberta Smith
· born unknown
· birthplace Milpitis, California living Carson City, Nevada
· father Charles Taylor Smith b.?? in California
· mother Sarah Maude Blanch
Children between Roy Bence and Roberta Smith
(1) John Bence born April 13, 1952, in California, works as a minister in New York
(2) Diane Bence born May 23, 1951, in California, works in Reno, Nevada. Married Steven Armstrong, June 16, 1970. Children Roy David Armstrong b. april 26, 1971, and Aaron Patrick Armstrong b. February 25, 1975.

There were two of my ancestors who went to California in the mid 1800s. Matha Ann Carter who married a Kunkle. She lived most of her life in Tulare and is burried there. She was a Doctor in that area. Names in this line are Bence, Merchant, Riggins and Lintott.

The other was Benjamin Franklin (Frank) Carter. Names among this line are: Scruggs, Barney, Johnson, Peters and Ross.

Hope this helps in your search...
Lance Carter

Posted: 30 May 2003 2:41AM GMT
You wrote:
" I have a cousin who is from Franklin Co KS and has done research in that area for decades and probably has some info that would be helpful.

Unfortunately, he is not computer literate and would have to work with you by mail. E-mail me back with your thoughts and if you like I can make the intro with you... and pass on this info to him. I'm sure he would be glad to share what he has."

I would be interested in corresponding by mail with him.
My email is <rmemazz@charter.net>
Watch that first letter "r" that looks like part of the "m".

None of the CA information fits anything I have at this time.

Thanks
mema
PS
I always copy these postings before I hit the "post message" button. Seems that 75% of the time it dissappears, and I would have to re-type. (It did it this time too)

Posted: 9 Aug 2003 11:28PM GMT
I seem to be missing the address of your cousin that you were speaking of in your posting. I would like to correspond with that cousin if you would please resend the address.
You can use my email address <rmemazz@charter.net>
to send the address of your cousin privately.
Still looking for the rest of my Carter family.
mema

Posted: 23 Mar 2004 5:53AM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2004 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: CARTER, FRANK, JACOB, BENJAMIN. CHAMBERLAIN, SPRAGUE, MILLER, SPENCER, MURPHY, ADAM
What does T.S. stand for in this T.S. CARTER?

Are any of these Carter's a part of your family?

From the 1870 Census Missouri, Cedar County, Washington Township:
*Benjamin Franklin Carter born abt. 1828 in Kentucky.
Martha J (Chamberlain) Carter born abt. 1834 in Kentucky.
Benjamin Franklin Carter's Children:
John b. abt. 1853 in Indiana
Jacob b. abt 1858 in Indiana
William b. abt. 1860 in Indiana
Martha J b. abt 1864 in Indiana
Sally b. abt. 1866 in Indiana
Mary E b. abt. 1868 in Indiana
James b. abt. July 1870 in Missouri

On the 1900 census - Jacob Carter's family was liviing in Missouri, Cedar County, Washington Township
*Jacob Carter b. abt. 1858 in Indiana, mother & father both born in Kentucky. He was a Farmer.
Lydia Elizabeth (Sprague, Miller) Carter b. abt Dec 1860 in MO. her father was born in Ohio, her mother in Ill.Carter
jacob Carter's Children:
John W? b. abt. Feb 1884 in MO
Mattie (Martha)? b. abt. Oct 1886 in MO
Benjamin b. abt. June 1889 in MO
William b. abt. 1891 in MO
Mary E b. abt. Feb 1895 in MO
Earl b. abt. Mar 1898 in MO
*Frank b. 1902 in MO
Sadie E (Miller) Carter Step-Daugh. b. abt. Feb 1876 in MO
*Frank Carter Sr. b. 1902 in MO.
*Frank Carter Jr. b. 1943 in KC MO
*Judith Ann Carter b. 1942 in KC MO
*Ruby Carter b. ?

Thanks in advance for any information you can send me.

Frank Carter Jr.

Posted: 23 Mar 2004 4:52PM GMT
Frank,
I have not worked on my Armstrong-Carter family for some time now.

If you follow the thread backward you see that I was looking for information about TS Carter that had my grandmother NORA ARMSTRONG & siblings listed in his household. I know her mother ELIZABETH CARTER-ARMSTRONG died very young. So it is possible that the three children were "farmed-out" to a relative for a short time. In my first posting I assumed that it was with their CARTER grandparents, but, going by age, now I think that T.S. Carter must have been an Uncle to them.

I have no other information at this time and should have followed up on this sooner.

I think every person's birth certificate should have a six generation pedigree attached just like my registered cats.<VBG>
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions