Search for content in message boards

Floyd Milton Olds

Floyd Milton Olds

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 1:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Olds
Seeking information on Floyd Milton Olds who reportedly lived in Great Barrington, Berkshire, Mass. I have no dates to go on. Floyd had at least one son named Henry who moved to Cortland Co., NY. Would like to know Floyd's parents, wife and other children.

Re: Floyd Milton Olds

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 3:15PM GMT
OK, no date...How about a century ??

Seeking information on Floyd Milton Olds who reportedly lived in Great Barrington, Berkshire, Mass. I have no dates to go on. Floyd had at least one son named Henry who moved to Cortland Co., NY. Would like to know Floyd's parents, wife and other children.

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 3:16PM GMT
OK, no date...How about a century ??

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 3:51PM GMT
There's a strong Olds connection between Berkshire County and Chenango, Cortland and Otsego County, NY. I have a number of Olds's in my database for both areas but won't be able to check it and get back to you until tomorrow.

Max

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 5:42PM GMT
The Olds family genealogy states: Line of Floyd M. Olds, of Canastota (Madison Co.). N. Y. Three brothers, Henry, Amos and _______,of Great Barrington, Mass. Henry settled in Cortland Co., N. Y. about 1835. This is the information I have available to go on.

Posted: 27 Dec 2007 8:13PM GMT
The Olds book excerpt may be confusing. Here's what I see:
1. Floyd M Olds was born in NY in May 1876
2. Floyd's father was George Olds, born in MA June 1833
3. George's father was Henry Olds, born in MA about 1810. Henry and wife Eliza moved from Massachusetts to Cortland County about 1835.
4. Henry's brother was Amos Olds, born in MA about 1806, lived in or around Gr Barrington all his life
5. Amos Olds' (and brother Henry) father was Amos Olds (senior) and his mother was Elenor Harmon, according to Amos' marriage and death records in Gr Barrington.
6. Amos Olds (Sr) and Elenor Harmon were married in Gr Barrington 10 Feb 1803, according to Mass Vital Records.

Unfortunately, vital records from a number of Berkshire towns are not available on NEHGS. Also, even the recorded data from some towns was spotty. For that reason, I can't see a birth for Henry, George, etc.

Hope this helps. Also, this Olds family is probably related to my Olds family in Alford, Berkshire County, but that's apparently on the other side of my brick wall.

Max

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: Olds/Prentiss
Hello... There was a family member in my lineage with the last name Olds. His name was Reubin Olds and he was married to Almira Ferguson. They had a son Herbert Henry (b-1853) who was then adopted in (1857) by Sylvester Bemis Prentiss.
Sylvester was b-1817 in Chester and married (2nd) Louisa Williams, and died in Worthington Ma. Reubin Olds was a dairy farmer in Middlefield and is buried in the Pittsfield Cemetery. The ages would be about right for Reubin to have been a brother to George Olds (b-1833) in ma.
Frederick Printiss seaduce330@yahoo.com

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 5:18AM GMT
Reuben is probably the right age but the 1850 census from Cortlandville, Cortland County shows Henry and Eliza with a bunch of kids that don't include Rueben. Daughter Mary (19 yrs) and son George (17) were born in Massachusetts and the rest of the kids were born in NY, hence the move date of about 1835. The remaining children are Amos (14), William (12), Daniel (4), and Philo (1).

Reuben would have been 2 years older than Mary, certainly a possible oldest son because I don't know when Henry and Eliza were married. Have you found Reuben in 1850? I can't find him then. Interestingly, the Olds family that shows up in Great Barrington in 1850 is one of mine- Ozias Olds - which makes me think there is probably a connection between this "Amos Olds" line and my "Seth Olds" line that ended up in Alford. Either that, or there is a bunch of erroneous information in the "Olds Book", which ia also where some of my info comes from.

Max

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 12:24PM GMT
Good Morning Max, thanks for this information. I believe there are two Floyd's. The Floyd that was born in 1876 son of George and his great grandfather Floyd. It is the great grandfather I am looking for further information on. He would have been born in the late 1780's early 1790's I believe and probably in Massachusetts. Will keep up the search and thank you!

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 12:51PM GMT
Sorry Max, I messed up on that one! I see now where I got confused. I did go in and find Amos in 1860, 70 and 80 then his son in 1900 in Massachusetts. Thanks and sorry about the mixup. Tim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions