Search for content in message boards

Revolutionary War look up/English/Virginia

Revolutionary War look up/English/Virginia

Kathy English (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2005 11:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: English
Stephen English, born about 1726 to John and Mary (?) English, Hanover Co., Virginia. Married to Dinah Haynes, dau. of Henry and Mary (Smith) Haynes, b. about 1733 in Caroline Co., VA and died after 1800. Stephen English died by March 1783, in Bedford or Franklin County, Virignia.

Also, if you are willing to do two people:
William English, born bet. 1761-1766 to Stephen and Dinah (Haynes) English. Married to Adara Dudley about 1793, William English died in 1816. After the death of her second husband, Adara Dudley applied for a pension from the military service of William English, first husband.

Especially curious about Stephen English--thank you kindly for any information you can share.

Re: Revolutionary War look up/English/Virginia

Posted: 18 Aug 2005 12:36AM GMT
Hi Kathy,

I am sorry we do not have Stephen English listed in our DAR Patriot Index. We do have the following information on William English.

ENGLISH , William
Birth: VA Circa 1760
Service: VA
Death: VA 4 Jul 1815
Patriot Pensioned: No
Widow Pensioned: Yes
Children Pensioned: No
Heirs Pensioned: Yes
Spouse: (1) Adria Dudley

If you would like a record copy of the application of a woman who joined the DAR with William as her ancestor you can do so by sending the above information with a $10 check made out to Treasurer General NSDAR and mail them to Record Copy, Office of the Registrar General, 1776 D Street NW, Washington DC 20006-5303. It may take 6 -8 weeks to receive the copy as they are a very busy office. You can also include a note that you would like it through William's son Stephen if possible. That way if someone joined through William and was also descended from Stephen you will get some info on Stephen such as birth death, marriage, etc.

If you have not already found a copy of the pension application you can do so at one of the regional National Archives locations or found out how to order a copy via US Mail by visiting the National Archives web site on line.

If you are interested in joining the DAR you can e-mail me at TRY925@aol.com and I can have your local chapter contact you.

If you have another ancestor we can look up for you let us know.

Sincerely
Gail Terry

This is a free look up service provided by DAR VIS volunteers at the DAR message board.

Kathy English (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2005 2:28PM GMT
Thank you, Gail, for your help!

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 3:18AM GMT
Has anyone been able to make any progress in proving Stephen English as a patriot for DAR? He has been accepted by NSSAR but not by DAR.
Thanks!

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 3:42PM GMT
Good Morning Walterskaty! I looked in the NSDAR Patriot Index and did not locate Stephen English. No one has joined under his lineage yet. If I can be more of assistance in looking for another patriot, please let me or another volunteer from this board know. We are happy to help!

Warmly
Sara Greer
VIS Volunteer for this Rootsweb Message Board
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions