Search for content in message boards

Which DNA Test Shd I Take?

Which DNA Test Shd I Take?

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 6:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've read a few articles abt DNA testing and its uses in genealogy; however, I'm still lost and hoping someone can point me in the correct direction. I wd like to determine if my father's grandmother, Emily Etta McCoy, is related to John Carliss McCoy. A male descendant of John McCoy submitted his test results a few years ago. Which DNA test shd I take that wd correlate with his? Any advice wd be greatly appreciated.

Re: Which DNA Test Shd I Take?

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 5:14PM GMT
More details are needed.

Is McCoy your great grandmother's maiden name?
Is she your father's maternal or paternal grandmother?
Did the male descendant of John Carliss McCoy take a YDNA test?
What is his relationship to John Carliss McCoy?

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 8:06PM GMT

My great grandmother's maiden name was McCoy.

She was my father's paternal grandmother.

The male descendant of John C. McCoy took a Y-DNA test.

John C. McCoy was the descendant's great grandfather.

Thank you so much for your help. I've hit a brick wall with determining my great grandmother's parents. I have a great deal of circumstantial evidence which points to John C. McCoy being Etta's father, but nothing definite. I'm hoping that DNA testing will either confirm or refute their relationship.

Gary

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 10:14PM GMT
Unfortunately, you taking a Ydna test won't help in showing a match to John C. McCoy since there is a female in the mix.

Your best bet would be an autosomal dna test--like the one
here or at 23andme or ftdna. But both you and the other descendant of John C. McCoy would need to take the test. Price wise, ancestry is probably your best bet for your purposes right now.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 11:53PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2012 12:03AM GMT
I agree that the autosomal DNA test is the only option for you and the McCoy descendant. I did a simple descendancy chart and it looks like you and he would be 2nd cousins once removed assuming John C. McCoy was your great grandmother's father.

Is your father still living? If so, would he be able to take the test since there's a closer relationship between him and the male descendant (2nd cousins) and, therefore, a higher confidence percentage if they're a genetic match. Of course, this rests on the male descendant also agreeing to take the autosomal DNA test.

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 1:15AM GMT
I believe the original male descendant has passed away; however, I am in close contact with his cousin, who is a female my age (62 yrs). Cd she and I take the autosomal test and have meaningful results?

Again, many thanks for your assistance. I greatly appreciate it. Knowing what little I do, I was planning on opting for the Y-DNA test. I'm glad I have enoug sense to ask first.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Gary Biggs

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 1:18AM GMT
Many thanks for your assistance with this. I read a chapter abt DNA testing in a gen book I have, but I was completely confused. As you mentioned the female in the mix, I think that was what confused me.

I appreciate your assistance. Happy Thanksgiving.

Gary

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 1:23AM GMT
I'm sorry. I just reread your message and realized that I misunderstood. No, my father passed away in 2009. A sad case of getting involved in finding your roots when the tree is just abt dead. lol

I sincerely appreciate your assistance. Both of you and the other individual who responded to my query have been a great help.

gb

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 1:45AM GMT
You are very welcome!

Did your deceased cousin take the test at FTDNA (Family Tree DNA)? If so, and someone else is monitoring his account, there may be a chance to have his dna tested through their Family Finder (autosomal) test--IF his sample was saved.

How does the female cousin relate to you? Does the deceased cousin have any living children or siblings? Those will probably be your best bet. If you are in the 2nd-3rd cousin range, you should have quite a bit of dna in common from your common ancestor which will easily show up on an autosomal test.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 2:41AM GMT
Hi Lisa,

Yes, the deceased male descendant of John McCoy took the test at Family Tree. I believe his female cousin (the woman with whom I've been communicating) is monitoring the account. She and I are wanting to test to see if we're related, but neither of us were certain which wd be the best test considering our different sexes. (Please excuse my ignorance.)

If we're related, her great grandfather wd have been my great grandmother's brother. Beyong that I'm lost. I believe Patricia mentioned second cousins once removed. I'll ask her abt her deceased cousin's children. If I understand you correctly, it wd be best if one of the deceased's children and me test?

Gary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic