Search for content in message boards

John Quincy Adams Freeland Rayville La

John Quincy Adams Freeland Rayville La

Posted: 17 Apr 2004 5:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Freeland
would appreciate any help ......just starting my search......my great grandfather..........father to my grandmother......Emma Eugenia Freeland Brown....... born 1903 May 25.....Married to Henry Harrison Brown ... lived in Winnsboro La..... Thanks again......... 318 623 2191phone......

Re: John Quincy Adams Freeland Rayville La

Posted: 17 Apr 2004 4:08PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2005 11:03PM GMT
Would like to e mail you. My Dad m. Alta Mara Freeland the first time. Your name intriques me.
Kitty
bwiggins@sport.rr.com

Posted: 17 Apr 2004 9:34PM GMT
I know very little about my GG Grandfather....... he was a farmer and land owner in Rayville..... born in 1834 ..possible married twice........first time Mary Williams...... then to my GG Grandmother...... Mary Lula Johnson........ he had many children...........Jerusha Jane F---- Morris F---- Jefferson Issac F---William Jennings Bryant Freeland---- William Mckinley Freeland----Emma Eugenia Freeland.(Brown)... my Grandmother.she married Henry Harrison Brown from Winnsboro La... my mother........Ethel Henretta Brown-------...I know his was born in Mississippi...... but not much more...
I still have some contacts to make....... hope we can help each other.............. thanks Terry Kay---- tkay46@yahoo.com

Posted: 17 Aug 2006 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: Freeland, Brown
I have data that conflicts with yours as per his wives.

Descendants of John Q A Freeland

1 John Q A Freeland b: December 1829 in Alabama
.. +Lucinda b: 1833 in Mississippi m: Abt. 1858
........ 2 Alfred Freeland b: 1859 in Mississippi
........ 2 Jerusha Jane Freeland b: 1865 in Louisiana
........ 2 Young Freeland b: 1868 in Louisiana
........ 2 Morris J Freeland b: June 1870 in Louisiana
............ +Sallie Alice b: January 26, 1868 in Louisiana m: 1895
*2nd Wife of John Q A Freeland:
.. +Mary A. Oldham b: in North Carolina m: September 20, 1882 in West Carroll Parish, Louisiana
........ 2 John Robert Freeland b: June 12, 1884 in Louisiana
........ 2 William M Freeland b: October 1887 in Louisiana
............ +Odelia b: 1893 in Mississippi m: 1910
........ 2 Mary Elva Freeland b: November 1887 in Louisiana
............ +? Palmer b: in Ohio
........ 2 Altrama Freeland b: November 1888 in Louisiana
*3rd Wife of John Q A Freeland:
.. +Lula b: March 1878 in Louisiana m: 1896
........ 2 William McKinley Freeland b: March 1897 in Louisiana
............ +Levada Parker b: 1898 in Louisiana m: 1924
........ 2 Jennings Bryant Freeland b: December 07, 1899 in Louisiana
............ +Ella C b: February 03, 1912 in Louisiana m: 1930
........ 2 Emma Eugenia Freeland b: 1903
............ +Henry Harrison Brown b: in Winnsboro, Louisiana

Dawn

Kitty Wiggins (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2006 1:02AM GMT
I can only find one wife for John Quincy Adams Freeland. Her name is Lucinda. Probably called Lulu.
children: Jerushia b. 1865
Morris b. 1863
1870 Carroll Parish Census Ward 5
Didn't find 1880
1900 Richland Parish W-2 JQAF still married to Lucinda or Lulu. Children: John,Mary E.,William, Alta Mara is the correct spelling, McKinley & Bryan.
By 1910 Jerushia is married to John Shanks & they have 1 child Ada Shanks. Frank & Margaret Bolton live with them. The child IRMA COLLINS is a grand child and my half sister. Alta Mara was her Mother. Alta Mara m. Nick Collins. Alta Mara d. 1908.
1920 Richland Parish Census , John Freeland was not married. 3 children living with him: Gary V.,Morris & Jefferson.
That is all the research I have on JQA Freeland. Except for my half sister Irma and her family.
Hope this helps.

Posted: 18 Aug 2006 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Freeland/McGaha/Oldham
1860 census: Ward 5, Carroll Parish, Louisiana Wife is Lucinda age 21 born MS (1 child in household)

1870 census: Ward 5, Carroll Parish, Louisiana Wife is Lucinda age 30 born LA (2 children in household)

1880 census: District 39, Ward 2, Richland Parish, Louisiana Wife is Mary age 35 born LA (3 children in household)

1900 census: District 98, Police Jury Ward 2, Richland Parish, Louisiana Wife is Lulu age 22 born LA She's had 2 children, both still alive. 4 other of his children are still in household from previous wife. Record shows they've been married 4 years.

married to Lucinda approx 1858
married to Mary A Oldham 9/20/1882 West Carroll Parish, La.
married to Lulu approx 1896

1920 the john living next door to Morris in Lafayette McGaha's household is not this John. He's only 36 years old and is Lafayette's brother in law, not his wife's grandfather John QA born 1829 as John died bef 1910.

Hope this helps correct your data. Please let me know if you have any data that I didn't post. Thanks.
Dawn

Posted: 18 Aug 2006 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: Freeland/Shanks
Addition to my previous post. I know I've seen the same data you have on Jerusha's marriage and child with John Shanks, but it doesn't add up.

Jerusha's dau/of JQA freeland was born 1865 in Louisiana.

According to burial records at the Shank Cemetery, the Jerusha and John that had Ada were:
Jerusha Jane Shanks
b October 12, 1849
d July 24, 1957

John Shanks
b January 8, 1849
d February 20,1924

I can't find anything to back up that either the census records really blew up on Jerusha's year of birth, or the burial record being 16 years off; which would lead to a possibility of them being the same Jerusha.

Please advise if you have something that clarifies any of this. Thanks.

Dawn

Kitty Wiggins (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2006 3:39AM GMT
Did you know the Shanks cemetery is now listed also as "Silk-Masters-Hendrix Cemetery. Alta Mara Freelands dau. Mary Irma Collins Elkins is also buried in that cemetery. So is her Dad ( and mine) buried there. He does not have a headstone. My uncle Gentry brother of Nick is buried in Shanks/Silk-masters-Hendrix. My sister in law Elsie Middleton Collins is buried in that same cemetery.
My memory is that Jerushia lived to be 100 or maybe a little more. Can't prove it. You are right about the dob/dod on the headstone. I don't think thats right. I can ask my neices and see if they know the truth. Maybe all of us can sort it out. I only researched this family because of my sister Irma. If these are kinfolks of yours.........I can send you photo's. of Irma and her family. Alta Mara named her first child John Quincy Adams Collins. Quincy died in WWII in France. I just knew when I started seeing all those census's there was a lot of Freeland kids. I had no personal knowledge of any of them except my sister Irma.& Quincy. Maybe you can get them all sorted out for us.
Be glad to give any info that i have that will help you with the whole picture. I had no info between 1870-1900. Good luck..............keep in touch.

Posted: 6 Jan 2008 3:26PM GMT
My niece asked me to post this information for her. She is a decendent of JQAF.

My grandmother on mother's side is Alta Mara Freeland Collins.She was the daughter of JQAF and his second wife Mary A. Oldham. Alta mara died after giving birth to my mother Mary Irma Collins (Elkins) Alta Mara's sister (half sister) Jerusha Jane Freeeland raised my mother. My mother took care of Jerusha for many years when she was an invalid for about the last ten years of her 108 year old life. I believe Terry's (Terry Kay Kelly) grandmother and my grandmothers are half sisters.
It is true that Jerusha lived to be 108 years old. I knew over 100 but not the exact #. My niece knew them personally.
Kitty

Posted: 13 Aug 2008 7:06PM GMT
John Quincy Adams Freeland was married to Lucinda. They had children, then Mary F. Williams March 14,1878. No children for them. Then he married Mary Oldham. They had children. Then he married Mary Lulu Johnson. They had children.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions