Search for content in message boards

Tracing My roots: Rusk/Tyler, Texas

Tracing My roots: Rusk/Tyler, Texas

Posted: 9 Jul 2001 12:50PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Gossett, Session, Morris
FRANCES EDNA GOSSETT - Born to LOUISE & AARON GOSSETT in 1883,. She was one of eleven children. LOUISE is believed to be of Choctaw Native American decent. EDNA attended elementary school at Polk County School. School Friends names: NOLA HICKS, BILL HANCOCK, BILL TUCKER, LAURA MALLARD, LAURA EDWARDS. EDNA attended church @ Myrtle Springs Bapt, Pastor Rev. Gus Wms. Attended High School at Macedonia High School. Courted CHRIS TUCKER. Married JOHN SESSION. Birthed one daughter VIOLA SESSION. JOHN SESSION d. apprx 1911. EDNA then married GEORGE MORRIS. Moved to Texarkana, AR. GEORGE died in apprx. 1934. Please leave me a message if you have any information regarding my family history. God Bless you and thank you.

Re: Tracing My roots: Rusk/Tyler, Texas

Posted: 25 Sep 2001 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Feb 2002 12:10AM GMT
These could be your ancestors in the 1880 Census:

Census Place: Precinct 1, Cherokee, Texas
Source: FHL Film 1255295 National Archives Film T9-1295 Page 320B
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
Aaron GOSSETT Self M M B 31 MS
Occ: Farmer Fa: MS Mo: MS
Louisa GOSSETT Wife F M B 20 TX
Occ: Keeping House Fa: TN Mo: TN
Robert GOSSETT Son M S B 4 TX
Fa: MS Mo: TX
Lou GOSSETT Dau F S B 2 TX
Willis GOSSETT Son M S B 7M TX

sherie hunt (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2002 2:47PM GMT
Surnames: Gossett
Thank you so much for your informative response. The names you have listed are names I remember as being siblings of my greatgrandmother. Uncle Will died when I was 3 or 4 years of age. That would have been approximately 1959-1960.

I assume that the coding of birthplace for Aaron Gossett is MS or Mississippi. How can I trace his roots? Does Cherokee in the census place line indicate he was of Cherokee descent or a County name?

If you can provide further direction for me I would be very grateful. Traciang African American roots is extremely difficult since most records were either not officially kept or were kept in a manner/process unbeknownst to me.

Posted: 21 May 2002 11:55PM GMT
Hi,

Glad to be of assistance. Cherokee is the name of the place - I suggest you post queries to the afrigeneas forum
http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum/

There are several TX researches who post there regularly and they might be able to help you more than I can - your next move would be to look for these people in 1870 on the AA census CD.

Denise

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 1:30AM GMT
Since you reference Rusk and Tyler Texas, I am assuming you are referring to Cherokee County. The counties are only miles away from each other.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic