I'd love to pursue DNA testing but it ain't cheap so I want to make sure I'm making the best choice based on good information.
My questions about the current AncestryDNA offering are ...
1) What are you getting for your money?
2) Describe the Maternal and Paternal tests and what you get?
3) How many markers?
4) Why do I want to use the test offered by Ancestry.com (as opposed to other vendors out there) and/or how does it "integrate" with Ancestry.com?
5) What lab does the actual testing?
The new AncestryDNA site provides virtually no details as to what you are getting: http://dna.ancestry.com/
1) Test is for both men and women
2) $199, now $129
The old (beta) AncestryDNA site offered different tests and provided much more information about what you would get: http://dna.ancestry.com/welcome.aspx
1) Paternal Lineage Test: This Y-DNA test analyzes 33 markers of a man's Y-DNA as well as predicts the haplogroup of the paternal line. Cost: $149.
2) Advanced Paternal Lineage Test: This Y-DNA looks at 13 additional markers, for a total of 46 markers, providing a more precise comparison with other participants who have also taken the advanced test. Cost: $179.
3) Maternal Lineage Test: The mtDNA test predicts the haplogroup of your ancient maternal-line ancestors. Cost: $179.
NOTE: I just found this additional information from YOUR GENETIC GENEALOGIST: http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2012/10/ancestrydna-la...
; more 'comparison'information would help us be informed consumers.