Search for content in message boards

ERRAS - ATAXIA SCA-2

ERRAS - ATAXIA SCA-2

Posted: 27 Aug 2008 3:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for descendants of the Erras family from Germany. I am descended from Christopher(Chtistoph,Christ)Erras. He came from Germany to Cincinnati, OH, but I don't know where from in Germany. He was born on 1/3/1840. He married Catharina Fisher, but they were married in the U.S. I don't know if she came over from Germany with him. He carried the Spinocerebellar Ataxia Type 2 (SCA-2) gene that causes the brain in the cerebellum to deteriorate. Unfortunately, it has been passed down to at least my Father, who passed away this year. I was hoping their would be other Erras descendants to discuss the family disease with, as well as family history. I hope the gene has died in Germany, but if anyone has researched this family and it's disease, I would love to hear from you.

Re: ERRAS - ATAXIA SCA-2

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 6:03AM GMT

My last name is Krause, my SCA2 is carried on my fathers side. I don't know if somewhere in the past family married an Erras or changed their name from Erras. The last names in my family krause, Ruesink, Poppen, Kuno,Kessler, Tuttle, Udeson, Weisel, Lindner, Larson, Altendorfer, Lund, Schmall, and August... any relation We seem to have stuck to SD or WI or nearby states.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 5:46PM GMT
i think we may be related, but by marriage. My great grandma fischer bauer came over from germany in 1862 with a christopher and katherine erras from bavaia germany. I believe katherine fischer erras was my great grandma's aunt. They lived in the cincinnati area in colerain township and christopher was a farmer there. I don't know much about them, but I know they are buried at St. James cemetery in white oak ohio in plot C. I've been trying to find katherine's siblings as I think one of her brothers is my line.

I'm sorry I have no information on the disease on the Erras line. I never heard any stories about him from my family and all the people who would have known him are long gone. Good luck with your search. I hope this helps a little.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:35AM GMT
It appears that Christof and Katharina and Barbara "Heras" arrived in America on June 25, 1862 on board the ship: E F Gabain traveling from Bremen to New York.

I presume the person writing down the names mistook "Christof" for "Gustav" but everyone's ages match up perfectly. The best news is that their town of origin was noted: "Wulpback and Hessia", in reality the entry reads: Wulfsbach and Hessia was errantly carried over from earlier entries.

I believe, however, that the town name is really Wolfsbach but since there are multiple towns with this name in Germany - a google search for Wolfsbach and Erras helps to solve the problem; thus, it appears that the Fischer and Erras families are most likely from Wolfsbach in the community of Ensdorf (92266) in the Ober Pfalz, Bavaria, Germany.

Here is the contact information for the pastor of the local catholic church:

Kontakt

Hermann Sturm
Pfarrer

Hauptstraße 11
92266 Ensdorf

Telefon: (0 96 24) 12 20

pfarramt(at)pfarrei-ensdorf.de
http://www.pfarrei-ensdorf.de/

There is also an Erras in the phone book:

Wilhelm Erras
Schulstrasse 2
92266 Ensdorf

Perhaps by writing to him he may have some old family info.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Bob Behnen

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:03PM GMT
thank you so much for sharing that information Bob.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:27PM GMT
Thank you so much for bringing this back up. I have found the Erras plots and headstones at St. James. I do know some people on the same line, but they are now Schons. I don't remember seeing any Fischers there, but will look the next time I am there. Good luck!
Don
(FYI, I don't remember my old account info, so I have a new one).

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:29PM GMT
Hi Bob,
This is incredibly awesome information. It's like hitting the jackpot! Thank you so much for finding and providing this information. I will be sure to check out these leads, and hope that I am related to the name you provided!
Thanks,
Don

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 6:15PM GMT
Don and Sally,

Happy I could help. You might wish to check out the following site (in German) - it is a website for the town of Wolfsbach and has several pictures: www.wolfsbach.de

Bob

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 10:31PM GMT
I will, thank you.you've been a great help in my search for the Fischer line.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 10:32PM GMT
i don't think there would be any fischers there. All the fischers I know of would have their married names over there. Its such a quaint cemetery there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions