Search for content in message boards

Porter/Johnson Family

Porter/Johnson Family

Posted: 17 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Aug 2001 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Johnson, Shepard
Wilkes County 1850 Census (p. 282) lists James Porter (45), wife Malinda (45) and six children -- Willborn (21), Sarah (15), Nancy (13), Franklin (11), Phelix (7) and Elizabeth (3). I have recently learned that Malinda's surname was Shepard and that she was also known as "Lenna." James and Malinda were my great, great, great grandparents. Willborn (Welborn or Wilburn) married Elizabeth L. Johnson in Wilkes County on February 6, 1851. Their first two children -- Elizabeth (b. abt 1852) and Milly (b. abt. 1853) were born in Wilkes County. However, their third child, James F. Porter was born in Madison County, IN, so the couple left Wilkes County sometime between 1853 and 1860. Wilburn and Elizabeth are buried in the Carver Cemetery near Elwood, IN.

Porter/Johnson

Florence (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
James Porter of Wilkes Co. NC who married Melinda Bernette was the son of Joseph Porter, Jr. and Sarah Johnson. Joseph Porter, Jr. was the son of Joseph Porter and Sarah Reynolds. James md. Melinda on 26 Aug. 1825 in Wilkes Co.
Franklin Porter b. 05 JUly 1839 md. Mary E. Higgins 17 Jan 1856. Peter Porter md. Viney Stone 01 Jan 1865 in Wilkes co. This info was from the WILKES COUNTY HERITAGE BOOK. You might be able to get a copy of the book from the Wilkes County Genealogical Society.

Re: Porter/Johnson

Posted: 28 Jan 2002 3:42AM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2002 4:21AM GMT
I saw a very old query that you placed about the Porter family. Unfortunately I do not have anything to offer but may I ask you a few questions. I am almost certain that I descend from Joseph Porter and Sarah Jane Reynolds through their child, Mary Porter who married William Johnson. I am a descendant of a Nancy Johnson b NC in 1802 who married John P. Carty and moved to Russell Co VA. Nancy's parents were a William Johnson and a Mary Porter. I feel this must be her parents. One of Mary Porter's brothers had a daughter, Caroline Porter, who married, Thomas Carty, the son of the above Nancy Johnson and John P. Carty. I hope I am not being to confusing.
Can you help with this Porter family.
Do you know more about William Johnson and Mary Porter?

Thank you. Any Porter and Johnson help would be greatly appreciated.

Carmen Kay.

Re: Porter/Johnson Family

Lorna Coats (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2004 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: PORTER / BEAMAN
Ilo, I was wondering if you can help me with my gr gr grandmothers parents and little sister...Felix and Veana A Porter and Rebecca M Porter...Lucinda E Porter is found in the 1880 census Piney Creek twp. Ashe Co. NC, living with Calvin and Susan Johnson. I am wondering what happened to her parents and sister? Also was wondering if Calvin and Susan Johnson are related to Lucinda?
Lucinda married Joseph S. Beaman aApril 11, 1887 Grassy Creek Twp. Ashe County, NC. They moved to Big Stone Gap, Wise County, VA. This is where they raised their eleven children.
Thanks for your help. Lorna
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions