Search for content in message boards

Frustrated...Need serious help!

Frustrated...Need serious help!

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 3:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seriously frustrated at this point. I am stuck on my 2nd great grandmother (on my grandmom's side).

I know her date of marriage and death but can not find her maiden name or any other information to get further back on my tree.

Her name is Mary Jane and she was born roughly around 1857 in England. She married Augustus Reese in Philadelphia on Nov 20, 1876. She died on July 6, 1896 in Philadelphia.

Problem is that I can not decipher her maiden name on any documents I have or find any other information to relate to her family.

I have attached the only three records I have that mention anything about her maiden name.

I would appreciate any help at this point because I have been trying for quite a few months now to figure out any information regarding my 2nd great grandmother!

Thanks!
Attachments:

Re: Frustrated...Need serious help!

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 5:04AM GMT
Looks like Greenrod in the marriage register and Greenhode in the death record.

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 11:49PM GMT
The first document appears to me to read Greenhall. The next two say Greenwood.

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 12:11AM GMT
I am so confused. I can look up her name but I have no idea where to find out information like her specific birth date and immigration date.

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 12:35AM GMT
You might try and search for parish records, these can have details than the civil records.

Pinpoint the geographical area in Philadelphia they lived in 1880 (census). Look for the nearby parishes of the faith they practiced and were in operation in the time frame. Start with finding the children's bap records, these might not only have her maiden name, but may give you leads to associated family (godparents).

You can back into the marriage record from baptisms, you might get lucky and find it in the same parish.

There are mountains of data on how to do this type of search. google how to, using keywords like, Philadelphia, genealogy, Church records.

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 7:41PM GMT
Looks like Greenhode and Greenrod in the other two.

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 7:46PM GMT
How about their children's marriage records and death records? Those could indicate her maiden name.

Her death certificate indicates where's she's buried (I assume.) Have you contacted the cemetery for their records?

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 8:08PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Greenrod, Butterfield
Here's another Greenrod marriage at the same church:

Name: Benjamin M. Butterfield
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 31 Aug 1868
Event Place: Bethesda Presbyterian Church,Philadelphia,Philadelphia,Pennsylvania
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race (Original):
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race (Original):
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M53652-1
System Origin: Pennsylvania-ODM
GS Film number: 505521
Reference ID:

Perhaps a cousin? Aunt? her mother remarrying? It's likely that she's a relative...

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 8:18PM GMT
I received my great grandfather's (her son) marriage record but the maiden name is listed as unknown. I just received the marriage record from the oldes sibling, which was one of the photos I attached. Death records for my great grandfather say unknown as well but I haven't tried copes of the oldest sibling.

The cemetery has only given me the location of her burial site and I her death notice, certificate, church record they all list her with her married name and no maiden name is listed.

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 10:57PM GMT
Do you have their marriage license? not just the listing in the register. If so, does that have her address? You could try to match that to others in Philadelphia directories...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions