Search for content in message boards

Success Stories from Pre-1830 Henry County Pioneers Website

Success Stories from Pre-1830 Henry County Pioneers Website

Posted: 13 Mar 2009 3:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
It was a busy and exciting week of discovery after I unveiled the Pre-1830 Henry County Pioneers Wiki/website on the Henry County RootsWeb message board last week. I appreciate everyone who joined the website and is helping make it better and more comprehensive.

Since last Saturday:

++ Twelve new members joined the Wiki.

++ The website helped one new member break through a brick wall. How wonderful that must feel.

++ A new member posted a picture of Alexander C. Gordon. I would never have imagined that I would see the face of a pre-1830 pioneer!

++ A new member identified an additional primary source of pre-1830 pioneers and information. Who would have expected to find early estate records for the years 1822 – 1836 “hidden” in the middle of Orphan Book C that begins with 1837?

++ Three new pioneers (Margaret Gamble, William Starling, and Elias Strickland) were added to the website and a lot of new information added for several other pioneers.

Come take a look and join if you’d to like contribute -> http://henrycountyalabama.wetpaint.com/

Regards,
Jim Chumney (descendant of Pre-1830 Henry County Pioneers, John A. Chumney, Milly Watts, and Constantine Newton).

More Success Stories from Pre-1830 Henry County Pioneers Website

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 1:36PM GMT
During the first month since the Pre-1830 Henry County, Alabama Pioneers website (http://henrycountyalabama.wetpaint.com/) was unveiled to the world:

++ 26 new members signed up to help grow and improve our knowledge of pre-1830 Henry County pioneers and history. There are now 29 members total. If you have information on your pre-1830 Henry County ancestors that you'd like to share, please consider joining the team.

++ Web pages and facts for several new pioneers were added for a total of 1,104 pioneers and over 3,000 facts.

++ More pictures of Pre-1830 Henry County pioneers were added for a total of four:

John Atkinson (http://henrycountyalabama.wetpaint.com/page/Atkinson%2C+John)

Thomas Jefferson Farmer (http://henrycountyalabama.wetpaint.com/page/Farmer%2C+Thomas...)

William Gamble (http://henrycountyalabama.wetpaint.com/page/Gamble%2C+Willia...)

Alexander C. Gordon (http://henrycountyalabama.wetpaint.com/page/Gordon%2C+Alexan....)

++ Transcriptions of three marvelous articles from “The Henry County Register” (1873) were included that colorfully describe pre-1830 pioneers and events. (http://henrycountyalabama.wetpaint.com/page/Henry+County+His...)

NOTE: If you joined the Pre-1830 Henry County, Alabama Pioneers website and didn’t receive a welcome message, please check your e-mail’s Spam or Junk mail folder.

Best regards,
Jim Chumney

Re: More Success Stories from Pre-1830 Henry County Pioneers Website

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 3:07AM GMT
If only census records could talk. Stephen Anglin & John Anglin etc were indexed inbetween the Graces and Nalls in the 1830 Census. I have not put all the pieces into place re the Anglin Family, with numerous unsolved questions still out there.
Infact you sent Steve Elliott some info almost 2 years ago, while you were first beginning to work on your new webpage, as he was trying to help me re:the data on Voters in 1825, listing both Anglins. I was so pleased to receive that information as it established a time period for them at least in Henry County. Before that time, I had not come up with any concrete facts and still am researching on the Anglins. Also from your excerpts on Early Pioneers names listed from the Henry County Register, it noted John Anglin 1819, etc., so apparently the family was all there before the enumerated 1830 census.
I am a bit hesitant to join your wetpaint group right now,,as I dont wish to be a "writer"??,,but am still very interested in all that you have organized and posted. What a wonderful tribute as well to Steve Elliott. I will keep checking for anything new.
Thanks, Ruth

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 4:21AM GMT
Ruth,

I'm glad the Pre-1830 Henry County Pioneers website has been of benefit and interest to you. Please check back often because we continue to add facts and pioneers to the website. In fact, we are nearing completion of a major project to extract the names and facts from Orphans Book C and expect to start adding the new content within the next week.

You don't have to join the Wiki to be heard. Anyone can start a discussion thread about any pioneer or topic.

Best regards,
Jim

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 6:08AM GMT
I'll be checking back as any other hints or references to my Anglin line would be nice. Also, I will try and figure out how to manuver around your website, in order to send a message.

I think I rented that microfilm of Henry CO. Orphans records v. C-d 1837 -1846 about 3 years ago. I didnt find any Anglin references at that time.

Is that the same film you are extracting info from now? Thats a HUGE!!! undertaking.
Thanks for your prompt reply,
Ruth
Ruth

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 1:10PM GMT
Surnames: Anglin, Blackshear
Ruth,
Do you know the relationship between John and Stephen Anglin? Do you know their birth dates or anything more about them? Do you know their parents names? I would like to visit with you about the relationship of these two men to Kathryn Anglin that married Randolph Blackshear and was in Henry County by 1823. There are many John's but someone recently told me they were related. Kathryn is the daughter of William and Sarah Anglin and William is the son of Jim Anglin. These Anglins - Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and then Alabama. I would love to hear from you.
Valerie

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 8:21PM GMT
Valerie,
I can only make the "assumption" that Stephen G. Anglin born btw abt 1805 - 1809 was the son of John Anglin Jr. (listed on the 1830 census btwn ages of 50 - 58). Then there is the John Anglin SR., over 70 on the same census, all living next door (so to speak) to each other. Yes, there is also an Allen Anglin with them,,,and I have even searched him,,without luck. I could guess?, that he would be a brother to Stephen,,,but thats not factual info.

Connections of these Anglins to Kathryn Anglin who was married to Randolph Blackshear and was in Henry Co,,I have only seen bits and pieces of information. Another researcher has noted she was the daughter of a Wm. Anglin, so she would/ could? possibly have been a related cousin. So, I cant help you with that. There was a Wm. Anglin and a John Anglin in 1820 Putnam Co, GA, together (but I dont know if these connected), ie possible brothers.

Searching without middle names is sure difficult.and there are a ton of Johns, James and Williams in the Anglin line
I have heard from others he (Stephen prob was born in SC),,,but it could have been GA..
I do know that Stephen died (assumption) B4 the 1840 census and that Margaret (his wife remarried).
I descend from Stephen G.
Ruth

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 11:18PM GMT
Ruth,
Anglin line as I have it:
James Anglin born 1720 Cork, Ireland. Married Mary Lindsey in 1743 Cork, Ireland. Children: John b. 1752 Augusta Co. VA; Henry; David; William b. 1758; Catherine. The latter four were born in Orange Co. North Carolina. Family in Wilkes County, GA by 1773.
John Anglin b. 1752 married Mary Jones – Children: Susannah, Elijah, Nathan, Mary, Henry, Catherine, and John Jones b. abt. 1788.
John Jones Anglin b. abt. 1788 married Nancy Edmondson 05 September 1804 in Warren County, Georgia. He was living in Henry County, Alabama in 1830. Children were: Stephen G.; Allen; and John A. Anglin.
Stephen G. Anglin was born in Twiggs County, Georgia. He married Margaret J. Jordan 17 July 1827 in Henry County, Alabama. The only child I show is John William Anglin.
I hope this is your family. Let me know. Kathryn (Anglin) Blackshear was the daughter of William Anglin Born 1758 in Orange Co. N.C. William Anglin was the brother of John born 1752 in Augusta Co. Virginia. It appears that John went to Henry County. William ended up in Chambers County, Alabama. It appears your John Anglin Sr. was an uncle to Kathryn who was my husband’s gg grandmother.
Let me hear from you.
Valerie

Posted: 27 Jun 2009 5:37AM GMT
Would it be ok to send you my email response directly if you would provide your address.
Thanks,
Ruth

Posted: 27 Jun 2009 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: Anglin, Rabb

Ruth,

Yes, we are working with Orphans Records v. C-D 1837-1846, but ... Starting on page 390 of Orphans Book C are older records that date from 1822. There were only 23 pages of records that span from 1822 through 1829 which is what we are interested in for our pre-1830 Henry County project. Nevertheless, we accumulated over 700 names/factoids from those few pages. Many of the names are duplicates of those already on the website, but there are numerous new names that will soon be added after which the factoids for existing pioneers will be added.

Only one Anglin tidbit is in the newly extracted facts:

John Anglin gave four promissory notes to James Rabb: one due on August 8, 1822; a second due on December 25, 1821; a third due on November 1, 1822; and a fourth undated. The notes were inventoried in the estate of James Rabb (deceased) on July 4, 1823. Orphans Book C page 395.

Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions