Search for content in message boards

Preuben

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 8:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Mar 2010 8:07PM GMT
Understand now that Preuben is Prussia. My great grandfather is shown as coming from For. Preuben. Does anyone know where that might be or what it stands for.

Re: Preuben

Posted: 6 Feb 2009 7:43AM GMT
Have you any original you could post or mail?

Posted: 6 Feb 2009 5:20PM GMT
The German word for Prussia is Preussen, not Preuben. The symbol for a double "s" looks something like a "B". I would guess that "For. Preussen" might mean "formerly Prussia," meaning this reference was made after 1871 when the nation of Germany was formed. Prussia did not exist as a political entity any more.

Posted: 7 Feb 2009 12:47AM GMT
I don't think this is exactly right. The unification of the German states in 1871 created the German Empire, not the German nation. Within this entity many of the individual states retained very considerable powers. Prussia was a kingdom (as were Bayern (Bavaria), Sachsen (Saxony) and Hannover (Hanover) and the most powerful and important state in the empire. Prussia ceased to exist by a decree of the Allied Control Commission in 1947. I have no suggestion as to what "For." in front of Preussen might mean but I doubt if it meant "formerly" for one reason that it is English and if the reference was English it would surely be "For. Prussia", and anyway Prussia most certainly still existed. If I have a brainwave about the "For." I'll come back - at the moment it is a complete blank. Best of luck anyway.

Posted: 8 Feb 2009 4:43PM GMT
Could you attach a copy of the original document? It would be helpful to have more information to go on. Is the document written in German or English? When was it created?

Posted: 8 Feb 2009 5:25PM GMT
I'm sure you're correct about the historic details of Germany. But I wasn't thinking along the lines of absolute historical accuracy as much as I was attempting to put myself in the mind of the person who might have been writing this document. A polyglot expression such as "formerly Preussen" could very likely issue from an U.S. census-taker who was a native German speaker. A German/Texan language grew up in South Texas and persisted until WWI. A few Texas German speakers persist even till today, and efforts are being made to record the language before it dies out.
I digress. Going back to the U.S. Census, in the 19th-century Census I commonly run across birthplace designations recorded as Sachsen, Preussen, Anhalt, etc. But with the 20th-century Census, the reference to birthplace is almost always simply, "Germany," no matter that "Germany" as a nation did not exist when the person was born. This was the common usage.
Just some thoughts I had. Without more details about the original document to go on, it is impossible to be sure of anything.

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 5:33PM GMT
Being on the subject of PreuBen would anyone help in providing where I may obtain the marriage records of Henry Dieters To a Christine Stender about 1839+?

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 5:42PM GMT
German vital records are (and have ever been) only held locally so unless you know where the marriage took place (and Prussia was a vast state - look at a 19th century map) you do not have much hope. In addition I believe you can only get records if you are a direct descendent, if you are, good, if not bit tough I'm afraid.

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 5:00AM GMT
The information for my great grandfather came from Uk census.
If it means" formally " Preussia does that make us German descendants.
Any other ideas on how to proceed.
Thanks

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 12:52PM GMT
Tell us anything you can about your great-grandfather: his name, where he lived, birth and death dates if you have them, the year of the census you mentioned.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions