Search for content in message boards

watson

Posted: 22 Dec 2003 10:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 May 2006 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: watson
Hi I left some messages a while ago about my great grandad Robert Watson,husband of jemima hill and buried in Killyleagh 1st presbyterian church. Anyway also buried in the same grave is his daughter Anna S who died when she was 28. I have obtained the death certificate of Anna S, the S stands for Sophia, she was a spinster, dressmaker, and died from Bright's disease. (some form of kidney complaint I think!) however I was surprised to see recorded that neither mum nor dad where present at death but the only one mentioned is a DAVID WATSON. The only david watson I can find in Killyleagh at that time is a publican, died 1880 aged 50, husband of sarah and father of robert. Do you have any information about his parents or if he was related to my great grandad robert?

Re: watson

Hugh Macartney (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2003 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: David Watson, Killyleagh
The 1843 Commercial directory for Killyleagh does not list any Watsons in business in the town and one could infer they were farming somewhere in the district, probably Ballygawley. Killyleagh is in the Barony of Dufferin and it would be worth checking the Copy of Registers of that Barony 1813-21. This lists land leases and if the Watsons registered leases between these years they would show up. The LDS has it on microfilm. Looking at the Killyleagh gravestone inscriptions it is possible that Thomas (b.1810),William (b.1817) and Robert (b.1811) were brothers.
David was born in 1830 and could have been the son of Robert as one of his sons was named Robert. Thomas had a son called David born 1870. The Downpatrick directory for 1886 lists J.Watson,jun. at Ballygally, Scaddy as well as Samuel and Thomas from the same place. No Watsons are listed in the Downpatrick Presbyterian graveyard so those in Scaddy presumably were buried in Killyleagh because it was closer.
No Watsons were listed in the 1843 Downpatrick commercial directory so as before likely were still farmers. It would take a study of the Killyleagh Presb. church records likely to sort the Watsons out. A present day Killyleagh or Downpatrick Watson might have family information.
Posted: 25 Dec 2003 12:53AM GMT
Hello there,I was looking at the message that you left.If this is any help and you can get to the caora.net web site and look up a message that was dated 22th of Oct 2002.there is alot on the Watsons .My family tree brings in Watson as well .I have a John Watson who married Mary W.who died Dec 16 1865 aged 50 also son Samuel who d.Aug22 1866 aged 5.also on this message that is on the caora site It says about a David Watson who was a publican and his will was proved at belfast MAR 10 1880 by oaths of john field and alex martin of Killyleagh merchants and William Watson of Clifton Park Nore st Belfast, grosser.The will of Robert Watson of Killyleagh ,hotel prop. was proved belfast 1896.by James Ringland of Cluntagh and James Crochrane of Ardigon, framers.Effects 1000.00 pounds.If you cannot find this message. I could post you a copy .O yes my tree is a Mary McNALLY who married John Watson.

B. Corrigan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2004 11:07AM GMT
Hello I am also researching Watsons in Ballygalley, Co Down. Mine start off with John Southwell WAtson and his wife Margaret (Mary). They had 9 children, Margaret m. John WATSON, Jane, Southwell, Mary, Catherine, John, William, Elizabeth and Edward (Ned). They were b. abt 1837 - 1863 and were farmers. Marriages here are with, McMurray, Foley, Parkinson, Manson, Millar, Irvine. Can anyone help here? B. Corrigan.

lorraine (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2004 9:48PM GMT
Hello There ,
I have a Mary Anne Foley who married William McNally in 1805.Mary was born about 1789.William born 1787.One of there children called John born 1809.married Anne Jane Parkinson about 1833.they had a son called John McNally who married Mary Kennedy in 1835.This couple had my grandfather Thomas McNally who married my grandmother Elizabeth Patterson.They had my mum Jay who married Edwin Ross and then they had me.Ann Jane Parkinson was born 1811.in the Inch Parish co,down N Ireland,

Lorraine (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2004 10:11PM GMT
Hi there ,
I have only names and dates for a Samuel McNally married Prudence Parkinson 24th jul 1874.Inch co,down

mary ann foley married thomas mcnally 13th mar 1829.John Foley Married Jane McAnally married 15th jul 1862 Inch co down.She was born in 1839 died 1922 aged 83.

William McAnally wife Mary Ann Foley son Joseph christening 16th mar 1816.daughter mary christening 5th dec 1818.daughter jane christening 13 april 1823 son matthew christening 21 th jul 1825.

B. Corrigan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2004 10:46PM GMT
We are definitely talking about the same families here. I am from the WATSONS of which there were 9 of them. Catherine (Kate) m. William Foley in 1874, John m Prudence Parkinson in 1879.........do you have much info on their families, because we are a generation out here. B. Corrigan

B. Corrigan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2004 10:56PM GMT
Thats interesting..........I have Prudence Parkinson marrying my John Watson in 1879. the John Foley could be a brother ot my William Foley who married Catherine (Kate) Watson in 1874. WE are so close but so far away. Think there were two WATSON families living in Ballygalley which makes it confusing. Please keep in touch if you find anything more. Cheers Barbara

Lorraine (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2004 11:11PM GMT
Hi thete its me again I have been looking through some of my mums papers and i found a death card it reads

Died at her residence,DRUMREAGH on Wednesday,25th .October,1922.

Jane Foley,aged 83 years The remains of my beloved wife will be removed for onterment in the family burying ground Killyleagh ,Meeting house green on Friday 27th ,inst,.at Eleven o,clock.

Yours respectfully,John Foley,

B. Corrigan (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2004 12:33AM GMT
Thats interesting.....maybe Drumreagh is a nearby town and so the Foleys could have been there. Thanks Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic