Search for content in message boards

William McAllister Sr. in Alburg, Grand Isle County, Vermont 1756

William McAllister Sr. in Alburg, Grand Isle County, Vermont 1756

Posted: 10 Feb 2003 8:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McAllister Wiltsie
Does anyone have any information on the parents of William McAllister Sr. He married Eleanor Wiltsie. Military Service: 1777 Served as private in Capt. Jonathon Perry's Co., Col. Henry B. Livingston's 4th New York reg't. According to information gathered from the records of Bureau of Pensions, Department of the Interior, Revolutionary War Section on Feb. 16, 1916 by Hugh McAllister:
William McAlister (McAllister or McCollister) was allowed pension Sept. 22nd, 1818 while a resident of Alburgh, Grand Isle County, Vermont. He was 62 years of age.
He enlisted in the State of New York in the spring of 1777, in Capt. Jonathon Perry's company, Colonel Henry B. Livingston's 4th New York regiment was in both battles of Stillwater, battle of Monmouth and battle of Newtown under General Sullivan in his expedition against the Indians. He was transferred to Captain Thoedosius Fowler's Company, Colonel Philip Van Cortland's 2nd New York regiment, was in the battle of Yorktown and at the taking of Cornwallis, and was discharged after the war was over in June at Little Britain, New York.
Warrant #7475 for 100 acres of bount land on account of services of William McAllister as private of New York troops, issued May 5th, 1791.
William McAlister marries Jan. 17th, 1784, Eleanor Wilsey (Willsee or Wilsie) born Apr. 1st, 1756, daughter of William Wilsey (Willsee or Wilsie) and evidence on file shows that on Jan. 17th, 1784 William McAlister of Ulster County and Eleonore Wiltsee of Pokeepsie prect. were married after lawful publishment by Isaac Rysdyck, Pastor of Reformed Dutch Church of New Hackensack, Dutchess County, New York.
William McAlister died Sept. 1st, 1819 at Alburgh, Vermont.
Any information would be appreciated thanks,
Linda McAllister

Re: William McAllister Sr. in Alburg, Grand Isle County, Vermont 1756

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 7:13PM GMT
Hi Cousin, I didn't realize that Hugh is the one that got that for us, How are you related to Hugh? My Grandmother Ina was 1st cousin, she was Georege Edgar's Daughter, Hugh belonged to P.W. (Pliney Wright).
Have you found youir answer to this?
Kathey Baird benoit

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 1:38AM GMT
William was my GGGGgrandfather. I have traced a variety of items on him including the Rev War Achives info that are posted. I have not been able to find his parents but there were McAlisters in the Little Britain area of then Ulster Co. NY where he was discharged from service. (Now in modern day Orange Co. NY) Michael Keppen, Sioux Falls SD

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 2:07AM GMT
I have his parents: Richard and Susan/Susannah Diamond
does this help?
In decreasing order I am Richard, William,James,Johua Odell, George Edgar, Ina, Jane and then ME.

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 9:34AM GMT
Hi where did you find this information? Do you have birth or death dates, country of origin, etc?
Thanks

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 4:02PM GMT
I found it in another's fsmily tree..the oldest confirmation I have is William's pension paper's that Hugh McAllister got through his Congressman pre WWI. More than once I've found the same piece of bad info repeated for generations. This is new to me and Im looking for confirmation..but it is a starting point for William's parents.
Kathey

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 7:55PM GMT
Thank you so much. I've looked for information about his parents for years. Any little clue helps! One story I have says he came from Scotland, but I've never been able to confirm that either.

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 8:08PM GMT
the only good family story I have ( and I've heard it elsewhere from others) is William fell for the Widow McAllister and she rejected him..he changed his name FROM McCollister. It could be true...
Oh and George Edgar told his partner Mr. Sears that he wouldn't work with that "damn jew roebuck" well you know how THAT turned out. I have no idea if it is true or not, George Edgar died when my mom was in grade school.
Which branch are you?
kathey

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 9:19PM GMT
William McAllister, Sr., James Wallis McAllister, Sr., James McAllister, Jr., Thomas E. McAllister, Thomas Marshall McAllister, Living McAllister (father in law), Living McAllister (husband)

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 9:22PM GMT
Here is the information I have. I cannot vouch for its accuracy. :)

McAllister, William Military Service: 1777 Served as private in Capt. Jonathon Perry's Co., Col. Henry B. Livingston's 4th New York reg't/Revolutionary War He enlisted in the State of New York in the spring of 1777, in Capt. Jonathon Perry's company, Colonel Henry B. Livingston's 4th New York regiment was in both battles of Stillwater, battle of Monmouth and battle of Newtown under General Sullivan in his expedition against the Indians. He was transferred to Captain Thoedosius Fowler's Company, Colonel Philip Van Cortland's 2nd New York regiment, was in the battle of Yorktown and at the taking of Cornwallis, and was discharged after the war was over in June at Little Britain, New York.

Family History in America

William MacCollister, my great, great, great grandfather, and his brother Joseph and James (I), came to America around 1777. They had heard rumors of a Revolution in the Colonies, and being true Scots, they came over to join in on it. They enlisted form Vermont, and during the course of the Revolution, William was made a captain. After the war, for valor in service, the three brothers were given a grant of land covering the exact spot where the city of Poughkeepsie, New York now stands. The MacCollister brothers, however, had a great weakness for gambling, and succeeded in gambling their land away four different times. The land, however, could not legally be done away with in this manner because it was a government grant. So for four consecutive times, the government succeeded in restoring their land to them, but after that they gave up, and Poughkeepsie was lost to them forever. William, the father, was a sentry in the War of 1812, and he was replaced at his death by his son, James.

James married and had two children, Joshua Odell and James (III). Joshua Odell who was my great grandfather was named after a great uncle of his who had founded a village in Canada by the name of Odelltown.

George Edgar McAllister made successful efforts to obtain documents to enable him to join Sons of the American Revolution. I believe his eligibility rested not only on the Cornelius Wright Documents but also the McAllister enlistments.

George Edgar McAllister's application to join the Sons of the American Revolution (including letter number 6, above) is on file at the Minnesota Historical Society. A copy is in the possession of Pat Walker.

According to information gathered from the records of Bureau of Pensions, Department of the Interior, Revolutionary War Section on Feb. 16, 1916 by Hugh McAllister:
William McAlister (McAllister or McCollister) was allowed pension Sept. 22nd, 1818 while a resident of Alburgh, Grand Isle County, Vermont. He was 62 years of age.
He enlisted in the State of New York in the spring of 1777, in Capt. Jonathon Perry's company, Colonel Henry B. Livingston's 4th New York regiment was in both battles of Stillwater, battle of Monmouth and battle of Newtown under General Sullivan in his expedition against the Indians. He was transferred to Captain Thoedosius Fowler's Company, Colonel Philip Van Cortland's 2nd New York regiment, was in the battle of Yorktown and at the taking of Cornwallis, and was discharged after the war was over in June at Little Britain, New York.
Warrant #7475 for 100 acres of bount land on account of services of William McAllister as private of New York troops, issued May 5th, 1791.
William McAlister marries Jan. 17th, 1784, Eleanor Wilsey (Willsee or Wilsie) born Apr. 1st, 1756, daughter of William Wilsey (Willsee or Wilsie) and evidence on file shows that on Jan. 17th, 1784 William McAlister of Ulster County and Eleonore Wiltsee of Pokeepsie prect. were married after lawful publishment by Isaac Rysdyck, Pastor of Reformed Dutch Church of New Hackensack, Dutchess County, New York.

William McAlister died Sept. 1st, 1819 at Alburgh, Vermont.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions