Search for content in message boards

Charles H. Riley

Charles H. Riley

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 5:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information about my maternal grandfather Charles H. Riley born 18 Mar 1884 (AR?), died 15 Dec 1967 Hanford, CA, married 29 Sep 1906 Almedia Pennington born 8 Aug 1880 Blain, OK, died 17 Feb 1964 Hanford, CA

Re: Charles H. Riley

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 7:44PM GMT
Hi, My grandfather is Charles H Riley and my grandmother was Almelia Pennington. Both whom lived in Stigler Oklahoma when there son James Phillip Riley was born. James P. Riley is my father. My grandparents Mr.& Mrs. Charles H Riley was deceased before I was born. I think it was the year I was born. 1964... I have the birth certificate in front of me that belonged to my father. Charles and Amelia also had a son named Tony Riley, and Jack Riley. Well, feel free to email me if you like...

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 7:45PM GMT
Yes he was born in Arkansas and Amelia Pennington born in Oklahoma

Posted: 4 Apr 2012 8:17AM GMT
Hi Pamelareneep,

I tried to send you an email but could not find your email address (I am not paying for membership so that may be why). I updated my profile to include my email address in case you want to try to contact me.

It looks like we may be first cousins! I have the following info:

Charles H. Riley born 18 Mar 1884 AR died 15 Dec 167 Hanford, Kings, CA

married 29 Sep 1906 OK

Almedia (sp?) Pennington born 8 Aug 1880 Blain OK on 29 Sep 1906.

Children:

Mable born 5 Mar 1907 OK died 30 Jul 1972 Taft, Kern, CA
Gertrude born 13 Oct 1911 OK died 31 Jan 1989 Hanford, CA
Carl born 15 Feb 1919 OK died 11 Apr 1989 Fresno, CA
Mildred born 29 Jan 1921 Stigler, OK died 25 Jun 1965 SF, CA
James born 31 Jul 1923 Stigler, OK died 1970-1980 Modesto,CA
Tony born 1 Jun 1925 Stigler, OK died 1 Jan 1996 Armona, CA

I show James married to Bonnie Scott and then Jessie?

Mildred Riley married Walt Ridenour in 1938 in Corcoran, Kings, CA.

Children:

Benny Dale born 4 Oct 1939 Corcoran, CA
Thelma Lou born 14 Apr 1941 Hanford, CA
Elmer Eugene born 11 Dec 1943 (this is me!!)
Richard Bradley born 9 Oct 1959

The Ridenour side of our family has been traced back to 1586 in Switzerland (we emigrated to the new world in the 1700's). Our name is spelled Reitenauer in Erope.

If my email doesn't appear in my profile, you can reach me at EERidenour@charter.net

Are you using genealogy software? I am using Family Tree Maker 2006.

Hope to hear from you.

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 7:37AM GMT
Just an update for you .... I've been browsing the 1900 Federal Census and found that Charles (age 16) was living and working in the Bonoshe area and Almelia (age 20) was living with her family in the Spiro town area which is about 15 miles from Bonoshe. Charles and Almelia married in 1906. Charles said he was born in AR but did not know where his father and mother were born.

I still need to find where they were married and when they moved to Stigler.

If you are interested, I will keep you posted if I find new info.

BTW, is there any info about Charles and Almelia on your fathers birth certificate?

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Riley, Reilley
My Riley/Reilley family was in North Central Arkansas by the 1880's or maybe before. They came and went and then moved up to Oregon Co., MO...just north into Missouri. I traveled to Fulton Co., Arkansas a few years ago to hunt for that family line and ran into a Riley family that seems unrelated to mine, but still is in the Fulton, Izard county area. They told me that they have a family reunion in Eastern Oklahoma every year. There is a very active rootsweb list in both Fulton Co and Izard co. Maybe they could help you find something on your family that was from Arkansas. Good luck.

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 4:32AM GMT
yes there is i'll see if i can get a copy to you ok ty pam

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 4:36AM GMT

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:05AM GMT
Hi Pam,

Here is some more info on your Grandparents. I have a copy of a marriage license dated 29 Sept 1906 in Fort Smith, Sebastian Co, Arkansas for Charles Riles (age 22) and Media Pennington (age 18), both from Spiro, Choctow Nation, Indian Territory (OK).

Note that Media appears to be a familiar nickname shortened from Almedia.

I sent a copy of the license to your hotmail email address.

Also, the 1930 Federal census for Machire Township, Haskell Co, OK, lists the Charles Riley Family as:
Charles (age 53) This age should be 46.
Almedia (42) This age looks OK
Gertrude (18)
Carl (10)
Mildred (8)
Jimmie (6)
Tony (4)

Based upon these two and other sources, I think our Grandmothers first name was Almedia .... but I'm not 100% positive about this yet!!

BTW, I've sent 3 emails to your Hotmail email address with no reply?

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 5:01PM GMT
I'm very sorry for not replying before now but I'm having a very hard time with this menopause I havent done much of anything these days. I apologize again. And hopefully the doctors can get me better. Talk to you real soon on this, Iam interested in all this and would enjoy it more when I get to feeling better...Pam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic