Search for content in message boards

St. Ansgarius Church in Chicago

church records

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 1:43AM GMT
I have a book about genealogical searching in the Chicago area. ("Chicago and Cook County: A Guide to Research", by Loretto Dennis Szucs, copyright 1996 by Ancestry.) It still is sold in stores and I think you can find it online at Ancestry.com.

It says that Episcopalian churches kept their own records. If the church closed, here is where they will be kept.

Episcopal Diocese of Chicago
Archives and Historical Collections
St. James Cathedral
65 East Huron
Chicago, IL 60611

There is a phone number, but the area code may be out of date.

(312) 787-6410

I don't have a directory for Chicago. I only have a suburban directory. I would have checked to see if the church still exists if I could.

Good luck!

Judy

St. Ansgarius Church in Chicago

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2002 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: Samuelson, Nelson, Larson, Saker, Weber
Does anyone have knowledge of where records for St.Angarius Episcopal Church (a Swedish church)in Chicago are kept? My gr grandparents, Adolph Samuelson and Anna Nelson married in Chicago possibly Dec. 1885. I was able to learn that two of their children who died before 1900 were christened in that church. I found some paper records at the Swenson Center in Rockford Illinois but they did not have any microfilms. I am hoping that the church records will give me information of where Adolph and Anna were born in Sweden.
Thanks much, Elaine Larson-Neuhaus

St. Ansgarius Church records

Posted: 16 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 12:45AM GMT
Elaine:

North Park University in Chicago has some of the church records from 1849 to 1871. Perhaps they know where the records are after 1871.

North Park University
3225 W. Foster avenue
Chicago, Ill 60626-4895
1 800 888 6728

Donald W. Carlson

St. Angarius Church records

Ralph Nordstrom (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
My grand parents were married at St Ansgarius Church. The records of marriages in Chicago for the period 1867-1879 are published in 'Swedish American Genealogist'. There may also be information on this church at the Swenson Genealogical Center, Augustana College, Rockford, Ill. The adress of the SAG is:P.O. B0x 2186, Winter Park, 32790. The editor of the SAG is Nils william Olsson.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic