Search for content in message boards

Dutch Burghers/aristocrats

Dutch Burghers/aristocrats

Anne Winter Williams (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2003 12:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: von Ranzow, van Lynden, Brohier,von Imhoff,Tranchell

As we delve deeper into our ancestral roots, it is very apparent that under the title of 'Dutch Burgher' many other Europeans were placed. The Tranchells were descended from Per Tranchell, born in Romelanda, Sweden, whilst the Brohier ancestor was a Huguenot from Jersey.
A recent 'Burgher' speaker spoke of hardworking, 'ordinary'
folk but it seems that many who came to our island had coats of Arms liberally carved on their memorials and were of the aristocracy. For instance, Jacobus, Wilhelmus Balthazar, was the Baron Von Imhoff born in Westphalia. E. Friesland, a disputed terrritory, his names belies his Germanic origin. Then there was August Carel Frederic von Ranzow whose father Ferdinand, Count von Ranzow was born in Wolffenbuttel. He returned home and married, Louisa, Henrietta, Baroness Breckenburg. By her, he had three sons, who all came out to Ceylon and served with the VOC. One of them was 'baker to the troops' in 1801.
Baron, Stephen van Lynden also comes to mind, not forgetting the Marquis and Comte de Lassosay. All, it seems left descendants whether in the female line or not. We are a very hybrid race indeed, descended from predikants, boukhouders, Commandeurs, Barons and Counts all drawn to the VOC and after them, the British.I suspect many were also Huguenots.
Sincerely,
A.W.Williams

Re: Dutch Burghers/aristocrats- Martenstyn

Posted: 3 May 2004 10:28PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2004 5:02PM GMT
Hi Ann
I was told from a member of the Martenstyn family who first told me there was an Aristocratic line in the Martenstyn line which Leads to the Lesli Martenstyn & Queenie Van dort ,
i know there is an end line here,
And i do not think the Van Dorts is the line in Question but I feel maybe the Aldons , Still It is not the Nobel Blood that comes of interests for me , but the different connections which ,Lead one to another,that brings in the different links ,
Can you or any one ´Els advise how this members comes to this Result & if any one can tell me the great grandfather of Queenie M nss Van Dort ,
Would be very Nice,
Thanks Ann .

Re: Dutch Burghers/aristocrats

Posted: 3 Aug 2004 10:50PM GMT
Surnames: Tranchell
Hello...
My mother's maiden name is Tranchell. I have traced her Tranchell family back to Per Tranchell, born in 1700 in Sweden.
How is Per Tranchell connected to the "Dutch Burghers/aristocrats"?

Richard Neal Faber
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Email: RKayTek@aol.com

Posted: 31 Jan 2010 4:14PM GMT
to Ann Williams and others,
If anyone has questions about the van/von Ranzows please contact me.
Greetings, Leo van der Plas

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Tranchell
Hi, Im a Tranchell Myself, son of Anthony Tranchell, Grandson of Derrick Herman Tranchell. I was told by my late grandfather that we were direct descendent's of Gustave Tranchell that lived a substantial part of his life in Trincomale, Sri Lanka. Apparently he had migrated directly from Sweden.
I would love to know more if you do know much about Tranchell's from Sri Lanka.

Thanks,

Dillen Tranchell
Auckland, New Zealand
Email: dillentranchell@yahoo.com

Posted: 2 May 2013 5:54AM GMT
Surnames: Van Ranzow, Koek
It is Interesting to Note That Daniel Detloff Van Ranzow son of Count Carel Van Ranzow Governor of Riouw was the First Dutch Burgher to Come to Australia. He arrived here as a convict to New South Wales in 1838. He together with his Father Was charged with The Attempted Murder of De Wit a Magistrate in Malacca. Daniel was tried in Bombay in 1837 and Sentenced to Be Transported to NSW for Life. He was Pardoned in 1848. His recorded Description In Official Convict Records states his Complexion as 'Yellow". His mother {one of His fathers 3 Wives] was a Chinese Or Indonesian.Lots of Informatio on Koek Family Mallaca Article, Check Google Search for Koek Mallaca.
Gary Cruse Ellis 2013.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic