Search for content in message boards

Stephens family, Swainsboro

Stephens family, Swainsboro

Charles David Mitchell (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2004 3:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stephens
I am looking for information about my Grandfather, Chester Arthur Stevens, and my Grandmother, Lucille(?) Stephens. They lived in Swainsboro during the 1930's, 40's and 50's. I believe they died there. My mother, maiden name Mary Ruth Stephens, was born in Monroe, Louisiana before her family moved to Georgia, and she lived in Swainsboro until she married my father, Edward Jack Mitchell, in a church in Swainsboro in 1945 or 1946. My mother was called "Ruth" and had sisters named Marie, Sarah, Jo-Ann, and Billie. My grandparents Stephens died before I was born. I was born in California, and I never knew my mother's family in Swainsboro. I know that my grandfather worked for a lumber company, cutting trees and maintaining equipment. I have never been to Swainsboro, but I am planning a trip there. My mother passed away this year. If anybody reads this message and can help me, I would be very grateful. Please help me find my mother's parents, her church, and her hometown information if you can. Thank you.

Re: Stephens family, Swainsboro

Posted: 4 Apr 2004 11:50PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2005 6:44PM GMT
Chester A. Stephens (1886-1957) is buried in the Swainsboro City Cemetery. Other Stephens buried there are Albert A. (1891-1958); Charlie A. (1895-1946); James (1922-1944) and Elizabeth McLemore Stephens (1861-1947). There are perhaps others since this book was published in 1983.

Posted: 5 Apr 2004 9:12PM GMT
Thank you! I am planning a visit there. Now I know where to look. Thank you very much for your help.

Posted: 8 Apr 2004 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2005 9:53PM GMT
one piece of additional info ,Lucille Stphens , 1900--1949 buried beside Chester Stephens, from Cemetery book by Moses Coleman Jr.

Posted: 8 Apr 2004 3:06AM GMT
That is my grandmother. Thank you so very much. I did not know if she was there. This means a lot to me. Thank you!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic