Search for content in message boards

Waukegan Slovenian Settlers

Posted: 3 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2002 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Artac, Lusina, Merlak, Sajovic, Brence, Hodnik, Nagode, Orbank, Pustaver, Higby, Pierson, Oblack, Drassler, Plutt, Korenic, Gilbert, Mehlin, Remzgar, Remsgar, Remskar, Cuden, Pivek, Baer, Jansa, Dunn, Konchan, Zorc, Dolence, Mathias, Serwa, Gosar, Rupnik
I am researching both my maternal and paternal ancestors. They were all Slovenian settlers in Waukegan in the late 1890's and early 1900's. They were also founding members of the Slovenian K.S.K.J. society. Most emigrated from the area around Ljublana, Slovenia and first went to Pennsylvania, Ohio and on to Waukegan. From there many went on to either California or Willard, Wisconsin. I would like any information about these families and possible contacts. Many changed the spelling of their names so first I need to verify the correct spelling. I am also having a problem verifying the correct names of my great grandparents children on both the paternal and maternal sides.
Posted: 26 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Rupnik, Pivek, Remzgar
My maternal great mother's maiden name was Anna Rupnik. She died in Slovenia in approximately 1899. I have no info to date about her parents or birth. Her first marriage was to Mr. Pivek (Pivk) and her second marriage was to my great grandfather Anton Remzgar (sp.?Remskar,Remsgar) She was a midwife in Triest on the Italian border. She had one child Tomaz Rupnik born before her first marriage to Pivek. She had 4 children with Mr. Pivek named Marija, Johanna, Roy, Franca (Frances). It is rumored that she had a child between her marriages to Pivek and Remzgar. I don't know which one as yet. She then had 2 children with Anton Remzgar. My grandmother Marijana Remzgar and her sister Antonija (Tonchka) Remzgar. I know that Anton and his two natural daughters were born in Dragomerju (Dragomer), Parish of Brezovica, Ljubljani. I assume then that Anna lived with Anton there. Anna married Anton Remzgar in approximately 1891. Anton emigrated to the U.S. in approximately 1900 and brought his two natural daughters and his mother Neza (Agnes) Cuden. The Pivek children also came but I don't as yet have the detail of their emigration.

Rupnik

Ann Chalker (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Rupnik Masrian, Dokmanovic
My greatfather was Mattia Rupnik, He was a farmer by trade he married Maria Madrian. My grandmother was Agnes Rupnik. Born 1880-82 Triest Austria. She married on the 10/9/1910
to Milan Dokmanovic. I would appericate any info on the Rupnik family/name

Regards Ann Chalker

Sajovic

Posted: 29 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2004 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: Sajovic
My grandmother was Johanna Sajovic. She lived in North Chicago, IL. She married Frank Govekar. She had a sister named Ursula and a brother named John. She was born in Vrblen, Yugoslavia on 8-21-1887. Frank Govekar was also from the Ljublana area. They were very active in the K.S.K.J. through Mother of God Church in North Chicago. I recognize several of the surnames that you listed from church. I do not have any information on either Frank or Johanna's parents. I do know their parents did not come to the U.S. I would appreciate any information you have to share. I will share more as I receive it. Good luck!

Posted: 30 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Artac, Lusina, Gosar, Remsgar, Pivek
This is my relationship to the Sajovic surname. Joseph Lusina and Francis Nagode had approximately 14 children. Joseph and 3 daughters survived influenza. The daughters were Johana (married Michael Artac)(my grandmother), Antonia (married Anton Merlak) and Mary (Mici)(married Unknown Sajovic). Mary (Mici) was the only daughter who stayed in Slovenia. My grandmother Johana was born in Linji Gorici, Vrhnika on November 15, 1888. Mici had 3 children Julia, Tony and Nada. Julia married Unknown Demsar. This is all the information that I have. I have been unsuccessful in contacting any members of the Mary (Mici) Sajovic family. I know my dad talked to his cousin Anton Demsar during WWII when he was in Slovenia. I am willing to share information with you.

Re: Waukegan Slovenian Settlers

john stakich (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2003 3:19AM GMT
hello, i'm john and i was surfing different family names.drassler is my my moms madien name.my grand father was jonh drassler.they settled in clev.ohio.let me know if its close.

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2003 10:18PM GMT
Surnames: Artac,Lusina,Gosar,Remzgar,Pivek
My dad's cousin married a Joseph Drasler and lives in Denver CO. I guess his Drasler family came from Waukegan. I haven't started tracing this surname yet. mafu51wi@yahoo.com
http://communities.msn.com/Genealogy2000
http://groups.msn.com/Genealogy2000a/
http://genealogy2002.tripod.com/

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:53PM GMT
Surnames: merlak
my grandmother was Antonia (lusina) merlak married to anton
both buried in the catholic cemetery in sterling il.
my father Anthony is also there.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 1:13AM GMT
Email me at mafu51wi@yahoo.com

My Grandma Artac (Lusina) from Willard WI was Antonia's sister. I used to call Dorothy Fulfs at least once a month. My husband and I stopped into visit with her before her death. She helped me tremendously with my research and identifying photographs.

If you are on Facebook I have a group for those interested in Slovenian Genealogy. In fact we were just discussing the Merlak line. Slovenian Genealogy (Genealogy2000) https://www.facebook.com/groups/183735961660531/

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions