Search for content in message boards

ROBINSON in Tennessee

ROBINSON in Tennessee

Posted: 19 May 2002 6:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROBINSON, DEVANEY
My father's name is Charles Olan ROBINSON (II), born 1926 in Harriman, TN (m. Frances Montague HUGHES in 1949). His father was Charles Olan ROBINSON (I) (m. Bonnie Pauline DEVANEY in 1925). I am trying to find out anything about Charles Olan ROBINSON (I) and his ancestry. I've heard that he might have been born in the Cleveland, TN or Chattanooga, TN areas and may have had some Cherokee ancestry, but all of this information is uncertain. I'd be grateful for any help.

Re: ROBINSON in Tennessee

Posted: 28 May 2002 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Robinson
I have many Robinson relatives from Cleveland, Bradley County, TN. This includes a John born abt 1812, married a Nancy. They had 11 children including five sons; William b abt 1843, John Wesley b. Nov. 11, 1850, Robert Alexander b June 8, 1856, James Robinson b abt.1839 and Hiram D. Robinson born Nov. 17, 1847. Hiram married Nancy Victoria Smallwood and they moved to Texas and settled in Oklahoma

Hope this helps.
Fred Robinson

John Robinson (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2002 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: ROBINSON
Dear Fred,

Thanks for the information. I'm afraid that I am still at something of a loss, though. I literally know nothing about anyone on the Robinson side of the family past my grandfather (Charles Olan ROBINSON, Sr.). I don't even know for certain where he was born, though my mother has a vague recollection of family in the Cleveland, TN area. Did any of the ROBINSON's you mentioned remain in the Cleveland, TN area? Do you have any information about their descendants? I am just guessing but I would say that my grandfather (Charles Olan ROBINSON, Sr.) was probably born between 1895 and 1915 (his wife, my grandmother, Bonnie Pauline DeVaney, was born in 1910, so I use that as a guide). I would be so grateful if you could help me put these pieces together. Thanks so much.

Yours truly,
John Robinson

Posted: 28 May 2002 4:55PM GMT
John, We will need to link up your grandfather. Suggest you do an extensive search through Family Search, Rootsweb and Ancestry.com

All we know is that John Robinson b.1812 received a land grant for 80 acres in 1841 in Cleveland, Bradley County, TN. Property was in the Ocoee District which had been ceded by the Cherokee Indians in 1836. John and Nancy are buried in a Lebanon Cemetery near Tunel Hill RD. in the Ocoee District.
We have no record of any sons remaining in Bradley County,TN after 1880. John Wesley, my ggrandfather and Robert Alexander my gguncle moved to north GA. Hiram went to Texas and Oklahoma. None of the children of John and Nancy have the name you mention. However, we do not have any genealogy for WIlliam Robinson b.abt 1843 and James Robinson b. abt 1839. This is the best I can do.
Good Luck
William Frederick Robinson
frobi19807@aol.com

Posted: 28 May 2002 6:32PM GMT
Charles, I have, from Family Search, a Charle Robinson born 27 Sept 1892, d May 1967. ss 409-05-1838. It shows Oolteway, Hamilton Cty., TN which is very close to Cleveland, Bradley County, TN. Also, there are several Olin and one Olan Robinson in the family search catalog. Impossible to link to them without more info. Does the marriage certificate you have show his parent's?

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Fred

Posted: 12 Nov 2002 1:24AM GMT
I am looking for Frances Marion Robinson (male) any help would be appreciated.

Fred Robinson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2002 8:10PM GMT
Sorry, but none of our Robinson's have those names. My Great Great Grandfather was a John Wesley Robinson, born 1812 in Tennessee. He lived for many years in Bradley County, TN near Cleveland.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions