Search for content in message boards

Search for g-g-g-g-grandfather

Search for g-g-g-g-grandfather

Posted: 6 Nov 2006 10:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bailey and Wanty (Wanteigh)
I understand Benjamin Bailey, a Loyalist, moved to Fanjoy Point on Grand Lake where he died in 1830. Where is/was Fanjoy Point? Was married to Susannah Wanty (Wanteigh?).

Re: Search for g-g-g-g-grandfather

Donald (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2006 10:46PM GMT

Fanjoy s Point I belive is in Waterborough ,Grand Lake
NB and is still there. Not to far from Lakeside Park
on Trans Canada Highway

Benjamin and Susannah (Wanty) Bailey were both born
London England two children listed on Roots Web
Lydia b/july 27/1781 NB d/oct 1/1858 Williamstown NB
married William Candlemire july/1799 Fredericton NB

James b/1788

Peter D MacLean (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2006 12:10AM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: Bailey, Wanty, Wantleigh, Corey, Burk, McLean
I too am interested in the family of Benjamin Bailey who married Susanah Wanty ( Wantleigh ? )

Their son Joseph, married Sarah Corey and their daughter Lydia married George Fox Burk. and their daughter Rebecca Burk married my great grandfather, Duncan McGregor McLean in Waterborough Parish, Queens County NB

My questions are .... who was the Loyalist in the Bailey family and where did they live before coming to Queens County NB.

Hope to hear from you soon Peter D

Cori Leigh Landry (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2006 12:24AM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Bailey, Wanty, Duette, Branscombe
Hi Peter,
From the book "History of Queens County, N. B., by E. Stone Wiggins, 1876" comes the following:

Bailey, Benjamin, a U.E. Loyalist, born in England, setled in the American States, and joined the side of the Royal party during the revolution. He came to St. John in 1783, and subsequently settled on the Oromocto. He afterwards moved to the Grand Lake and settled on Fanjoy's Point, where he died. His wife was a daughter of Judge Wanty and sister of Captain Benjamin Wanty of the Royal Navy. His children were James, Joseph, Mary, Pheobe, William, John, Sarah, Susanna and Esther. John is now living at Newcastle, Queen's, aged 86 years. His wife's maiden name was Mary Duette. His sons were Abraham, John, Giedeon, Charles and Luke. Abraham and Duncan, sons of Abraham, are comfortable farmers. Gideon was born at Oromocto, Feb. 25th, 1817. He moved to Grand Lake in 1839 and has since been one of the leading lumber merchants of Queen's County. He has for several years been Lieut. Colonel of the militia and President of the Agricultural Society. He was elected representative to the Assembly in 1865, but was defeated the following year on the question of Confederation. He was re-elected in 1870, and sat till April, 1872, when he was called to the Legislative Council. Mrs. Bailey is the daughter of the late Capt. Arthur Branscombe.

Cori Leigh

Peter D MacLean (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2006 9:53AM GMT
Good Morning Cori .....

Many thanks for the information on Samuel Bailey. Even though I have a copy of the e Stone Wiggins' book, I think, at one point, I gave up using it as a source, although I managed to gather up most of the data you forwarded from other soources. .

The question that still makes me itch is where in the lower colonies did Samuel Bailey settle before being forced to vacate to New Brunsiwck ?

Best wishes Peter.

Sara (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2006 12:01PM GMT
My marriage record for Joseph Bailey is to Susan Corey, not Sarah Corey. Edward Corey was Susan's witness; but I have found no trace on Edward Corey. Did Joseph have two wives or are Susan and Sarah the same woman?

Sara

Sara (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2006 8:36PM GMT
Cori Leigh
Well, this is certainly interesting. Queens Marriage A book gives marriage to Joseph Bailey of Watb and SUSAN Corey of Gagetown and her witness was Edward Corey of Gagetown; same date of Feb 9, 1815.

Brings up lots of questions. Why would this marriage be witnessed by a cousin, when she had brothers. Are their two Joseph Bailey's? I have only run into this two other times, when public marriage record does not match church register. Also thought Joseph Bailey's children might name pattern for your Gilbert and Bethenia, as others did. Nothing looked familiar to that Corey line.

I think I'll alert the NB list. Maybe someone else knows more. A will or burial would help. Sara

Hi Sara, The closest Edward to the Sarah Corey who married Joseph Bailey would be her first cousin Edward Smith Corey, he lived in Gagetown at that time. He was the son of Thomas Corey(brother to Sarah's father Gilbert) and was born Oct 1790.

Here is the link showing Joseph's marriage to Sarah- just scroll down to the B's for Bailey. http://www.rootsweb.com/~nbqueens/gageangmarr.htm#B

Hi Sara, Joseph married Sarah Corey daughter of Gilbert and Bethenia(Eagles) Corey on Feb 9 1815. I have no record of Gilbert and Bethenia having a Susan. Sarah would have been named after Gilbert's mother Sarah (Smith) Corey. Cori Leigh

Message Board Post:
My marriage record for Joseph Bailey is to Susan Corey, not Sarah Corey. Edward Corey was Susan's witness; but I have found no trace on Edward Corey. Did Joseph have two wives or are Susan and Sarah the same woman? Sara

Posted: 28 Nov 2006 3:58AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 28 Nov 2006 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: Bailey, Hodge
Sorry to be so long in responding - I'm computer illiterate. I've been able to determine through webs and documents my g-g-g-g-grandfather, Benjamin Bailey was born in London in 1758 and arrived in Maryland about ?. He went to St. John in 1783 later to Oromocto (Fredericton) and ultimately, as per Wiggins, Fanjoy's Point where he died in 1830. His son, James, is mentioned in the Certificate of Death of my g-g-grandfather William H. Bailey. Then come William H., Jr.,
Vinal I. and my mother Grace Anita who became Hodge. I'm disappointed to hear probability of no marked grave. Obviously still a lot of research needs to be done.

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 1:01AM GMT
Benjamin Bailey ~1758-1830 came to somewhere in the States and was asked to leave, arriving in NB 1783 with the other Tories. I'd like to know where he "landed" in the States, where Fanjoy's Point is and where Ben's buried. Dale

Posted: 14 Apr 2008 1:40AM GMT
From a post by Donald on Nov 6 2006:

Fanjoy s Point I belive is in Waterborough ,Grand Lake
NB and is still there. Not to far from Lakeside Park
on Trans Canada Highway.

It wouldn't be far from Minto/Chipman area. Closer to Minto I believe. I spent many a summer's swimming at Grand Lake and staying at my grandparents's camp there. I believe it's on the opposite side of the lake from where I was.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions