Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Frye...Where are you?

Benjamin Frye...Where are you?

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 6:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Frye
I've been stuck on trying to find my great-great grandfather for several years. My great grandfather was Oscar Frye b. 1905 d. 1940s (I don't have the death cert in front of me.) Knoxville, TN.

His death cert shows Bell Smith as his mother and Ben Frye as his father. Problem is that Ben Frye must've left town before the 1910 census because Bell and Oscar are the only ones listed there. So...I could possibly accept the fact that Great Grandfather was not legitimate. But I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas for me as to where else I could look to find the elusive Benjamin Frye? Thanks in advance!

Re: Benjamin Frye...Where are you?

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 7:12PM GMT
This doesn't help find Benjamin but it says that Bell is a Widow in the 1910 census (written where it should say wife or head). So Benjamin might have died by 1910 or he left the family and she just called herself a widow.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 8:34PM GMT
Yeah I know. I've looked and looked for a death cert, but TN didn't really make it a law to do death certs until 1908. So it's possible he died and had the gall to do so before 1908! :)

OR...he just left the family. OR...they were never married (can't find a marriage license either)

But it just occurred to me that Knoxville has a complete set of city directories dating back to the mid 1800's. Perhaps that might shed some light on the situation. Thanks for the reply!

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 8:34PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2013 8:35PM GMT
A William Frye in the 1900 Census For Knox County a Fireman born Virginia age 23 and a Belle Fry Born In West Virginia age 21 Born may 1879 could be related to Benjamin Frye.

Tennessee, Death Records, 1908-1958
Name:Belle Frye
Birth Date:28 May 1882
Death Date:11 Jun 1957
Death Place:Knoxville, Knox, Tennessee
Certificate Number:57-14368

Attachments:

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 8:43PM GMT
Hi there...yes Belle Frye was my paternal great great grandmother. Her son was Oscar Frye.

Oscar died in Eastern State Hospital in 1941. Belle is listed on his death cert as Belle Smith. His father is listed as Ben Frye.

Unfortunately I have no idea who supplied that information to Knox county. So Ben(jamin) Frye is all I really have to go on. I'd love to find a marriage register with the two of those...but have not found one as of yet through Ancestry. Luckily for me I live close to the East Tennessee Historical Society...so I'm able to go there to their wonderful collection and browse through all sorts of records...but still no luck with Benjamin Frye.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic