Search for content in message boards

SIKORSKI FAMILY Poznan>Buffalo,NY>Forestville,NY>Saginaw/Burt,MI: Frank, Elizabeth, George, Steve, Katherine, Josephine, William Sikorski

SIKORSKI FAMILY Poznan>Buffalo,NY>Forestville,NY>Saginaw/Burt,MI: Frank, Elizabeth, George, Steve, Katherine, Josephine, William Sikorski

Posted: 15 Apr 2002 2:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sikorski, Clark, Clarke, Dugan, Duggan, Gardner, Peatrowski, Pietrowski,Pasinki
I AM LOOKING FOR ANY POSSIBLE INFORMATION RELATING TO OUR FAMILY:

Frank Sikorski BD: Aug 22,1862,Poznan (area)
(Diabetic)Died:In Saginaw, MI Hospital, Sept 1, 1934. Buried :Mt Olivet Cemetary, Saginaw, MI

In Poznan Frank worked as caretaker on wealthy estate with wife: Elizabeth (Maiden:Pietrowski or Peatrowski) and 1st born son: George. Had to move around Poznan area. Every night sky would be lit up by bombings, etc. One day while carrying all of their belongings on a sled they were crossing a lake/river (?) and fell thru the ice---everything was lost and they nearly drowned. This precipitated their decision to leave and relocate to Buffalo, NY (1889 ?) where Frank's Brother: NAME UNKNOWN had already relocated.

Elizabeth Pietrowski (?) BD:Nov 11, 1857
Died:April 17,1943 (Died at home of son:Steve Sikorski, Burt, MI)Buried: Mt Olivet Cemetary, Saginaw,MI

Frank and Elizabeth married:1883 in Poznan (?)
Frank and Elizabeth moved their family from Buffalo, NY to Forestville, NY where Frank farmed and was a Railroad track walker for the Erie Railroad before 1920 when he retired. The Forestville.NY School only went up to the 8th grade. My Grandmother and her siblings went to school their.

Children:
George Sikorski/ss:106-07-8420:
First born son. Born in/near Poznan.
BD: April 20, 1887
Died: April, 1978 Buffalo, NY

Steve Sikorski:ss:380-07-9753
BD: Sept 28, 1889 Buffalo, NY
Steve and Brother George left Forestville, NY to get jobs in the "Big City" around 1915 (according to my grandmother Josephine Clark and my Dad, John Clark).

Steve had a wife with 2 children in NY (UNKNOWN NAMES) whom he left (no divorce) to move to Burt, MI approx 1919 with 2nd (common law) wife:Stella Pasinki. Bought 60 acres of land for farming.

Approx 1920, Frank and Elizabeth bought small plot of land in Burt, MI opposite Steve and retired there.
Steve Died: Jan 5, 1964 Burt, MI Buried: Roselawn Cemetary, Saginaw, MI
(Steve's 1st wife and 2 children came to the funeral in Saginaw, MI. Steve never legally divorced 1st wifeaccording to my Dad).

Katherine Sikorski Sperry
BD: Oct 5, 1894 Buffalo, NY
Married: Robert Sperry: Sept 1, 1919 and moved to Burt, MI
Died March 14, 1962 Saginaw, MI Buried:Forest Lawn Cemetary
(My Dad, John Clark: the city kid from Saginaw, spent every summer growing up on the farm in Burt blowing up stumps, etc with Aunt Kate, Uncle Bob, Grandparents: Frank and Elizabeth-who didn't speak English, Uncle Steve and Aunt Stella and his cousins.)

Josephine Sikorski Clark ss:384-22-5549
BD: June 20, 1898 Buffalo, NY
Married: Pittsburg, PA or Saginaw/Burt, MI 1924?
Died: May, 1980 Buried: Royal Palms Cemetary, St Petersburg, FL (Josephine had severe asthma/emphysema left Saginaw to move to warmer climate after spending every Winter in an oxygen tent in the Saginaw Hospital during later portion of her life)

Married: John Benjamin Clark ss:375-14-6936
(my Grandfather)
UNKNOWN FAMILY HISTORY EXCEPT:Born Jan 4,1896: Erie, PA (Father: John Benjamin Clark: age 30, miner of Annadale, PA and Mother: Margaret Dugan:age 25 of Syracuse, NY) We have a 1942 Saginaw Circuit Court affidavit attesting to this birth information by Elizabeth Sikorski so my Grand father could get a "good" job in a Saginaw war plant.

My Grandparents, Josephine and John Clark left Saginaw, MI and retired to St Petersburg, FL.
John Died: Nov, 1971 Buried: Royal Palms Cemetary, St Petersburg, FL

William Sikorski, youngest son---don't have info yet

COMMENTS:
Approx 1917-1919. Sisters: Katherine and Josephine went off to work as chambermaids in a "Big City" Hotel (Buffalo/Statler Hotel?, Erie or Pittsburg ?). Approx 1917 Josephine, age 19 met a WWI army officer (UNKNOWN NAME) whom she married (don't know date and location) and later divorced in 1918 or 1919 (don't know date and location) because he was a gambler and couldn't hold a job. They had no children. Josephine met my Grandfather:John Benjamin Clark in Pittsburg, PA ?: John Benjamin Clark:my Father thinks they went to Saginaw/Burt, MI to be married with the rest of the family present approx. 1924.

1st Born son: my Father, John Benjamin Clark was born: Sept 23, 1925 St Mary's Hospital, Pittsburg, PA resides in MI
(My Dad had a wonderful visit with George, Robert and Irene Sikorski in Buffalo,NY one weekend in the 1960's or70's while on a business trip---he has very fond memories and says they treated him "royally"). My Father also visited Forestville, NY and spoke to neighbors of the Sikorskis who knew them while they lived in Forestville, NY

Elizabeth Margaret Clark Born: Pittsburg, PA died of pneumonia at age :2(Have copy of Baptismal certificate)

William Edward Clark Born: June 5, 1930 Saginaw, MI
Died: Sept 10, 1984 St Petersburg, FL (Never married) "Uncle Bill" lived in Saginaw with my Grandparents. When they relocated to Florida he moved to Tampa and later moved to their home in St Petersburg until Josephine and John died and continued to reside their until his death in 1984.

Theresa Clark Smith Born: Oct 3, 1935 Saginaw, MI. "Aunt Tess"
Died: Aug, 1982 in MI married Marvin Smith (No Children)

I am the only child of John Benjamin Clark BD: Sept, 1925, residing in MI and Maryellen Gardner Clark BD: March 7, 1924. Died: Feb 3, 2002.(Married: June, 1953)
I was born in MI 1954, and live in TX. I have 2 children born in TX in 1988 and 1993.

Last summer my Dad and I went back to Saginaw with my Mother and my family. We visited all of the graves and went by all of the homesteads in Saginaw and Burt, MI. I took pictures of my Dad and the kids in front of all the existing graves and homesteads. My Father who grew up in the city of Saginaw spent summers on the Burt farm with his Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents and cousins. I went to funerals of all these relatives as a very small child with my parents and Grandparents. My Dad and I were planning to go back to Saginaw/Burt this summer, 2002 with my family to do some more research.

My Grandfather Clark had a falling out with his Father and we know nothing other than his Father was born Annandale, PA a miner, in 1866? and his Mother Margaret Dugan was born in Syracuse, NY 1871?. My Grandfather always spoke of attending Syracuse University in law/pre-law.

My Grandmother told my Father that a brother tried to contact my Grandfather in the 1930's. My Mother received a call for John Benjamin Clark in the 1960's from NY. After she hung up she realized it was not for my Dad, but for my Grandfather who had retired to St Petersburg, FL. We realize the Buffalo Sikorski's may also know more about my Grandfather Clark's roots too !

My Dad visited George, Robert and Irene Sikorski in Buffalo on a business trip in the 60's and had a wonderful time. He also returned to Forestville, NY and meet elderly neighbors who had hired my Grandmother, Josephine Clark as a young girl to help them and knew them growing up.

We do not know the name of the brother of Frank Sikorski who Frank, Elizabeth and George came to stay with in Buffalo, NY in 1889. I am unable to locate passage on any vessels to the US or Canada for this family. My Dad says the ship log, naturalization records should show a Brother's address already residing in Buffalo. I understand MOST emigrants came thru Ellis Island but a few came via Canada and walked across a bridge over Niagara Falls. I have searched and searched and can not locate records for my Sikorski relatives even using spelling variations. I am blessed with 3 families that have EXTREMELY common names: Sikorski, Clark and Dugan!!! Any suggestions or leads would be appreciated !

Re: SIKORSKI FAMILY Poznan>Buffalo,NY>Forestville,NY>Saginaw/Burt,MI: Frank, Elizabeth, George, Steve, Katherine, Josephine, William Sikorski

Posted: 29 Apr 2002 1:48PM GMT
Hi, I may not be of much help but have you utilized the Saginaw county death index? If not I can send you the link if you would like. I know I have seen the Sikorski name somewhere as i've been doing my research. I was born in Saginaw. My Barczak family came from Poznan also and settled in Taymouth township. i can send a link for a Polish based website that may be of help. let me know. contact me here or my home email.

Re: SIKORSKI FAMILY Poznan>Buffalo,NY>Forestville,NY>Saginaw/Burt,MI: Frank, Elizabeth, George, Steve, Katherine, Josephine, William Sikorski

Posted: 29 Apr 2002 1:59PM GMT
this a long shot. I have a sympathy card with the signatures of George and Leah Dugan. It for my Greatgrandfathers funeral. He died in1970 in Saginaw.

Jeff Finger (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2002 4:13AM GMT
After reading this message it really hit home. My great-grandfather, Gustave M. Finger immigrated from Poznan, Poland(Prussia) in 1881 and settled in Saginaw, Michigan. He and his wife had eleven children; my grandfather, Frederick H. Finger was born there in 1893. Gustave was a shepherd in the old country and became a teamster, driving a beer wagon in Saginaw. My grandfather always said that we were Germans not Polish. We have many Finger relatives living in Sagnaw now. I have a 1966 photo showing my grandfather and four brothers most of whom still were living in the area at that time. I live in Sharonville,Ohio outside Cincinnati.

Posted: 13 May 2002 1:39AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2005 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: Gramse, Degner, Fegner
I am probably grasping at straws but your mention of the Finger family - could there be any connection with my gr-gr-grandmother Anna Ernstine Fenger? Her birth certificate states she was baptised in the Gramsdorf Evangelical Church, Kreis Czarnikau, dau of farm owner Martin Fenger and his wife Anna Degner of the Glashutte district Czarnikau.
Can find so little about the Fengers. Do you have any idea where in Posen your Finger family came from. Gramsdorf is north of Obernicki and is now called by its Polish name of Bukowiec. The Fengers were definitely Prussian/Germans.

Posted: 13 May 2002 1:39AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2005 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: Gramse, Degner, Fegner
I am probably grasping at straws but your mention of the Finger family - could there be any connection with my gr-gr-grandmother Anna Ernstine Fenger? Her birth certificate states she was baptised in the Gramsdorf Evangelical Church, Kreis Czarnikau, dau of farm owner Martin Fenger and his wife Anna Degner of the Glashutte district Czarnikau.
Can find so little about the Fengers. Do you have any idea where in Posen your Finger family came from. Gramsdorf is north of Obernicki and is now called by its Polish name of Bukowiec. The Fengers were definitely Prussian/Germans.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions