Search for content in message boards

Petersen from Fohr, Urbans from Amrum, Sacks or Sass, Bohn, Kummel

Petersen from Fohr, Urbans from Amrum, Sacks or Sass, Bohn, Kummel

Posted: 5 May 2004 1:11AM GMT
Edited: 22 Dec 2004 8:40AM GMT
I'm looking for the family connection on the Isles of Fohr and Amrun for:

PETER CORNELIUS PETERSEN of Wyk, Fohr
b. Apr 15, 1874. Immigrated to California in 1890.
Father: GEORGE PETERSEN - a sailor, died at sea or in Haiti.
Mother: WILHEMINA SACKS or SASS, moved to USA with other son - WILLIAM MARTIN PETERSEN c1910.

Peter married:
LUISE GEORGINA URBANS Apr 14, 1901 in Nebel, Amrum where she was born to BOY (or BOYD?) URBANS & IDA BOHN. Luise and Peter returned to his new home in Petaluma, CA where they had a ranch for 50+ years. Peter and Luise are our direct link to Fohr and Amrum.

Her sister, GEORGINA URBANS m. Mr. KUMMEL and we think they stayed on Amrum. They had 2 boys: CARL & BOYD.

Luise's brother was URBAN URBANS. He married a local girl, AMANDA (from Fohr or Amrum we don't know) and they had a son, BOY (or BOYD?) URBANS. They came to the US, to California where Peter got him a job with a lumber company. They moved to New York where they ran a delicatessen. Amanda was homesick and so they returned to Germany, probably Amrum.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Karen

Re: Petersen from Fohr, Urbans from Amrum, Sacks or Sass, Bohn, Kummel

Huub Bouwmeester (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2004 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
hello Karen,

In the summer of 1974 I met a girl in Heide (Holstein) with the same name as you (Karen Petersen). Her parents had a hotel on Amrum but lived before in Cologne. She was nurse in the hospital of Heide and lived in the Moltkestrasse 56 in Heide.
I knew her unfortunately only for a very short time because I was a Dutch soldier in Germany and left for Holland at the end of August 1974.

greetings,

Huub Bouwmeester

Posted: 19 May 2006 5:21PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2006 12:30AM GMT
Dear Karen,

Don't know whether this helps: I spent all my summer holidays between as a child in Nebel / Amrum (between 1954 and 1971). I remember an elderly lady running a "Mittagstisch" (a very basic type restaurant only doing lunch for holiday makers) with the surname Urbans on the edge of the village. We had quite a number of nice meals there.
I do think that her first name was Amanda, and the age bracket is about right, because she was quite a bit older than my mother who was born in 1915... Unfortunately, as a small child you regard anybody older than 30 as ancient!
By the way, "Boy" is not an uncommon first name on both Amrum and Föhr.
I only came across your message, because I am trying to find old friends from Amrum who I lost contact with. There are not many names left in the telephone directory that I still recognise! But if you need more information, it may be worth to write to the local vicar at St Clements. There must be a number of old church records that could help.

Good luck,

Corrie

Posted: 19 May 2006 6:26PM GMT
Dear Corrie,
Thank you for this bit of insight into the island. I did contact the church after my posting and was passed along to a relative who married an Urbans sibling in the mid-1800s -- so are cousins to my husband's grandmother. We communicate by mail - her letters in German and my typing it into an online translator to see what she has written! So I have had some questions answered since my posting. Now I'll ask her if Amanda ran a Mittagstisch!

Thank you for the information!
Karen

Posted: 21 May 2006 12:31AM GMT
Hi Karen,

Please let me know if you need any help with translations. My German has become a bit rusty after living in England for the last 15 years, but it may still beat a machine!
I can't give you more details of your husband's relatives, but looking at the names on your headline I do remember the surnames Kümmel and Bohn (the Bohns had a hardware shop in Wittdün, I believe). There was a girl called Heidi Kümmel in Nebel or Süddorf who was a few years older than me.
Unfortunately, it is not easy to follow up anything, because many young Islanders moved away in search of jobs.
The most popular choice for people of my generation was to move to Berlin - or, in some cases, to relatives in the States.
Let me know if there is anything (not too time consuming) that I can do for you.

All the best,

Corrie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions