Search for content in message boards

Berry, Union County, KY, very early 1800's

Berry, Union County, KY, very early 1800's

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 2:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Researching the Berrys that lived in what is now Union County, KY. Martin Matthews Berry b.1805 wrote that his parents were Benjamine Berry and Sarah Matthews. One document indicates that Benjamine lived in Fayette County, KY, but owned a big chunk of land in what is now known as Union County. There are a number of Berrys in this area & the surrounding area in this early 1810-1820 time period and I can't seem to get them sorted out. Anyone tracking these people? My main interest is related to Benjamine's wife Sarah Matthews (Mathis?. Any help will be appreciated. Jim

Re: Berry, Union County, KY, very early 1800's

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 9:43PM GMT
The Benjamin Berry that lived in Fayette County was not the same one that was the father of Martin Matthews Berry. There were two separate Berrys family lines that came to Union County around 1810. They were basically all 2nd cousins but both family lines came from Frederick County, VA originally. To confuse things even more there were about five Benjamin Berrys in KY in the early 1800s.
Craig Berry

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 2:02AM GMT
Craig, thanks for your reply. After, repeat AFTER, I posted this query I carefully went through the related queries on the ancestry.com website and also on another query site. I see now that this multiple Benj issue has been discussed previously. Someone states that Thomas was the father of Benjamine, the father of Martin Mathews Berry. Apparently there is proof of this somewhere.

I have spent time on trying to sort out and group together the Berry families but have not had much luck. The court house at Union Co, KY, has lots of stuff on these people & I have worked with this some. There is one very very old cemetery with Berrys in it. But, I'm still not clear on how these Berrys fit together.

My main interest is trying to find out exactly who is Sarah (Mathews) Berry, the wife of Benj B. & the mother of Martin Mathews Berry. Where were she and Benj married? Where is she from? Her parents and most important her siblings and her children.

Do you descend from the Martin Mathew line of Berrys? Regards, Jim

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 11:54AM GMT
Craig,

I have just recently started researching the Berrys who were in early Claiborne County. Since Union County was formed, in part, from Claiborne County in 1850, I think that the Berrys who were in Union County, were originally in Claiborne County. I know that there were Berrys living in Claiborne County when it was formed in 1801 and that they were there earlier than 1801. You stated that the Berrys in Claiborne County were 2nd cousins. Do you know how they were related? Thanks.

Bob Berry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions