Search for content in message boards

Bald Eagle Burying Ground

Bald Eagle Burying Ground

Posted: 6 Jun 2003 1:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Oct 2003 11:34PM GMT
Surnames: Rupert, Robison
Does anyone know of a cemetery called the Bald Eagle Burying Ground in Grayson? I have a funeral card with this listed as the place of burial in 1923 in Grayson. Any help would be appreciated. The funeral card was for Margaret(Maggie) Rupert. She was the wife of William Rupert and daughter of John and Caroline Robison.

Re: Bald Eagle Burying Ground

Posted: 7 Jun 2003 12:51AM GMT
Found the person who was buried at the Bald Eagle Burying Ground(in 1923) in the Old Grayson Cemetery listings. Guess what's now known as Old Grayson Cemetery on Hillcrest in Grayson, Carter Co, KY was known by this other name in the 1920's.

Posted: 8 Jun 2003 5:28PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2006 7:29PM GMT
Surnames: Rupert
I talked with a lady who has live 80 years next to the Old Grayson Cemetery yesterday. She has never heard it call the Bald Eagle Burying Grounds, but as a child had played on Bald Eagle which is located at the junction of State Rt. 1947 and State Rt. 1&7. The hill had a lot of earth moved some 30 years ago when I-64 was built. A cemetery MAY have been relocated. This hill is located in the area of the Rupert farm.

Posted: 8 Jun 2003 6:31PM GMT
Thank you for this info. I will look at my map and compare this area to the census records that I have for the Rupert family. Very interesting that the Rupert farm was nearby. Also, since the grave I am looking for is today located in Old Grayson Cemetery but was called the Bald Eagle Burying Ground in 1923 on the Funeral Card, sounds like the grave was moved. Glad you told me this, so I will not assume the Old Grayson Cemetery was ever known by Bald Eagle. Now if I could also find where the present day Rupert cemetery is. Also wonder if that Rupert farm was ever owned by Edward Rupert(1876 to 1966), he was the son of William and Maggie( Margaret) Rupert and may have been the owner along with his son James of the Rupert Dept store in Grayson beginning in the 1940's.

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 1:50AM GMT
Yes, the Rupert Cemetery was on the Bald Eagle and the graves were moved when I-64 was built in the late 60's, when the hill was used for fill dirt. The Bald Eagle is northwest of the intersection of I-64 and Ky Rt 1-7. Let me know if you'd like more information.

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 10:17PM GMT
Surnames: Rupert, Robison
Thank you for this information. This helps me to understand why the graves were moved. I was able to visit and locate the Rupert section of the Old Grayson Cemetery in 2003.
I think you also posted to another post I made regarding the pallbearers on a funeral card which you identified as some of the Ruperts in your family tree, but for some reason, I cannot access it.
If you have any information about William Rupert(1852-1931) and Margaret Robison, it would be great to add to my information. I am always collecting information about the Robison family and their spouses in case another clue turns up to help me go back in time with the Robison family. The Robison siblings spread out over Ohio, WV and Kentucky before 1900, so information is hard to come by.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 9:26PM GMT

I've attached some scans of a Rupert family history my mother did. William was one of the sons of Joseph and Mary Rupert (originally Ruprecht) who came from Germany in 1844. His brother Criss was my great-grandfather.
The Rupert farm was north of Grayson, on both sides of what is now Ky 1 and 7, running roughly from Barretts Creek (just north of I-64) to Pactolus. My family lives on the 200 acres remaining. If you visit the area, let me know.
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 9:27PM GMT
it wouldn't let me attach all 4 pages at once, so I'm posting each separately.
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 9:27PM GMT
last page!
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 11:58PM GMT
Surnames: Robison, Robinson, Rupert
Thank you. It seems that both the Rupert Family and my Robison family were working in the same type of work in the iron ore furnaces, moving with the work when needed. Margaret Rupert Robison, the wife of William Rupert, was my great-great grandfather's sister. He was a teamster for a time (led a team of horses to haul timber). I enjoyed the Rupert Family history especially the facts about the oxen team. It sounds like hard physical work back then, everyone working to save up to buy a farm. My William Robison moved to West Virginia and bought a farm as well.
Who can I credit this information to? I like to source everything I come by. Your Mother obviously put a lot of work into the Rupert history and family tree.
Don't know that I will make it back to Carter County. We did enjoy our trip in 2003. We visited the caves and nearby state park as well as the cemetery and library. It's a beautiful area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions